*** DVD CORNER ***

Couldn't find a thread devoted to DVDs, so I figured it's time we "cowboy'd up" and started a nice little corner of the neighborhood dedicated to DVDs. Feel free to list your favorite DVD sets, new releases, recommendations, ones to avoid, etc...

Up first, a movie that's FINALLY coming out in March, that I've been wanting on DVD ever since I got a player almost 2 years ago:

schindlerslistwidedvd.jpg

I'm not sure why this one took so long to get released, and I still don't know why the original Star Wars films aren't available on DVD either. AND I'd like to be able to buy the FIRST Indiana Jones movie, without having to buy all three together in a box set!

Edited by Aggie87

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aggie, I had heard from reliable sources(The guys at the local video store ;) ) that the reason the Star Wars films aren't out is cuz George Lucas went thru a divorce, and was trying to keep the Ex-Mrs. Lucas from getting residuals....I truly don't know if it is true or not, but you have to wonder why it has taken so long for the Indiana Jones films to come out, and that the Star Wars have yet to(though they are supposed to next year, correct?) I also read at www.thedigitalbits.com a while back that Lucas was going to use "improved" versions of the films, not the original theatrical versions...no chance to see the improved and original versions like you could with E.T.

Good idea for a thread! :tup

JM - I love that Pulp Fiction 2 disc set! I think they put together a great package for that film. Tarantino seems to be a love-him-or-hate-him type of guy. I think Reservoir Dogs is GREAT, as is PF, and Jackie Brown is close behind. All of the Special Edition DVDs for these films were well put together, IMO. Looking forward to the Kill Bill DVD (I'm sure there will be one set with both Part I & Part II on it eventually).

I still need to pick up the True Romance DVD also, which Tarantino wrote, and appears to fit in with his other work pretty well. And he also helped write Natural Born Killers, which was available in a 3(!) disc set in Germany.

And I agree with Berigan on the Star Wars films. It would be nice to have them available as both the original releases, as well as the revised versions with extra special effects.

Aggie-True Romance was yesterday's "feature" at the Moose House! Story and dialog wise, it's right there with the ones he made himself in my opinion. Not quite as stylized in the filming, but it's a lot of fun. (And yeah, Reservior Dogs was the day before that; I guess I got on a QT 'kick' this week, but unfortunately that's it; I never picked up, or even saw, Jackie Brown. Tell me how much I'm missing so I'll get off my ass!)

alejo-I'm not much on this latest trend of picking up various TV series to line my shelf with (although Bullwinkle, Mr. Bean, Twin Peaks and the Simpsons somehow ended up there. Hmm.), but I'll gladly pony up for my favorite sitcom of my youth! I just hope Barney Miller holds up to my memory! I'll certainly gamble on one season of it in hopes!

A special last ever two-parter of 'The Office' has just been broadcast by the BBC over the Xmas period. Followed on from series 2 with a storyline based on an Xmas party reunion. Easily the biggest thing on TV over here over the Xmas period and unlikely to be resurrected as a series by Ricky Gervais.

B0000AYL2M.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Vintage footage of:

Songs: Call Me When You Need Me (T-Bone Walker), Hootin' Blues (Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee), The Blues Is Everywhere (Memphis Slim), I Can't Quit You Baby (Otis Rush), Another Night to Cry (Lonnie Johnson), Women Be Wise (Sippie Wallace), Hobo Blues (John Lee Hooker), Five Long Years (Eddie Boyd), Shakey's Blues (Walter 'Shakey' Horton), Hoodoo Man Blues (Junior Wells), Mean Stepfather (Big Joe Williams), Going Down to the River (Mississippi Fred McDowell), Weak Brain and Narrow Mind (Willie Dixon), Nine Below Zero (Sonny Boy Williamson), Spann's Blues (Otis Spann), Got My Mojo Working (Muddy Waters), Bye Bye Blues (Muddy Waters, Sonny Boy Williamson, Memphis Slim, Willie Dixon)

Bonus track from Earl Hooker in 1969, "Walking the Floor Over You/Off the Hook"

B0000AYL2N.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Vintage footage of:

Songs: Bye Bye Bird, My Younger Days (Sonny Boy Williamson), Come On Home Baby (Sunnyland Slim), Nervous (Willie Dixon), Mojo Hand (Lightnin' Hopkins), Black Snake Blues (Victoria Spivey), Everyday I Have the Blues (Memphis Slim), Don't Throw Your Love on Me so Strong (T-Bone Walker), Tall Heavy Mama (Roosevelt Sykes), Sittin' and Cryin' the Blues (Willie Dixon), Murphy's Boogie (Matt "Guitar" Murphy), Stranger Blues (Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee), Shake for Me, I'll Be Back Someday, Love Me Darlin (Howlin' Wolf), Down Home Shakedown (Big Mama Thornton)

Two bonus tracks from Magic Sam in 1969: All Your Love and Magic Sam's Boogie

I hear more volumes are to be released this year! :wub: