*** DVD CORNER ***

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Arrested Development Season 2 is coming out tomorrow and I cant wait. I missed alot of episodes with the busiest year of my life last year. Absolutely brilliant show, definitely the smartest show on network TV. (which is admittedly not super high priase.)

Get Season 1 today if you havent seen it yet.

I have seen both Metropolis (in a gloriously restored edition, from Berlin, I think, 2002) and M in a theatre, last year or so - terrific films!

I liked M better than Metropolis, though I was positively surprised by both films. (I'd recently seen both Nosferatu and The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, both of which hadn't aged very well.)

Guy

I have seen both Metropolis (in a gloriously restored edition, from Berlin, I think, 2002) and M in a theatre, last year or so - terrific films!

Bought this one, recently:

B00005MFNX.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I just saw this for the first time a couple of days ago. It is a profoundly moving, beautiful film. I went out and bought it the next day. The Criterion Collection DVD is fantastic!

I liked M better than Metropolis, though I was positively surprised by both films. (I'd recently seen both Nosferatu and The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, both of which hadn't aged very well.)

Guy

Yes, "M" is the true masterpiece! But I saw a restored version of "Metropolis" in a theatre, with a live band (violin, piano, drums), and it was a true event. I think it was the first time that restored version was ever showed in a theatre, too... But "M" is a much better film, I agree.

I disagree on both "Nosferatu" and "Dr. Caligari" - love them both. There's also Murnau's "Faust"... great stuff!

Bought this one, recently:

B00005MFNX.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I just saw this for the first time a couple of days ago. It is a profoundly moving, beautiful film. I went out and bought it the next day. The Criterion Collection DVD is fantastic!

I was in trance when I left the theatre after the film had finished. Definitely one of my very very dearest films. The home edition here has two DVDs, the first with the film, the second with deleted scenes (including director's audio comments), interviews with Wong and some of the main actors, stills, trailers, posters... quite nicely done.

I would recommend seing this film in a theatre first, though. I haven't dared watching the first DVD yet, being afraid of disillusion. Not sure the colour scheme and everything works out on the small screen...

Oh, and those south of the border songs by Nat Cole are sooooo beautiful! So are Maggie Cheung's dresses... :wub:

'M' is a true masterpiece.

I have strong reservations about the content of 'Metropolis'. No wonder that one of the first items on Joseph Goebbel's agenda after Hitler took power was to meet Fritz Lang and ask him to direct more of this type of films.

From what I remember of past readings, Lang left Germany soon after this appointment.

'M' is a true masterpiece.

I have strong reservations about the content of 'Metropolis'. No wonder that one of the first items on Joseph Goebbel's agenda after Hitler took power was to meet Fritz Lang and ask him to direct more of this type of films.

From what I remember of past readings, Lang left Germany soon after this appointment.

I think you're right.

man%20hunt.jpg

However, you can't deny that as a piece of art, "Metropolis" *is* fascinating, no? And all those modern hollywood flicks making use of the vertical (like that stupid sci-fi film that put Milla Jovovich on the map) owe a lot to "Metropolis" (in fact they just stole from it).

I won't even deny that 'Metropolis' is a masterpiece. Just that its content cannot be overlooked.

Hope the new Paris Cinematheque will show this soon.

My first viewing of the film was at a Fritz Lang retrospective at the Cinematheque of Henri Langlois days. I was stunned by the film...in various ways!

I have no idea what is out on DVD, but here are a few other favourites:

"Man Hunt" (1941 - picture above taken from that film)

"The Woman in the Window" (1944 - one of the most beautifully photographed, and image-wise, not necessarily story-wise, darkest noirs I've seen)

There are more that I've seen, but these two are the ones that come to mind immediately (besides M and Metropolis and the Mabuse ones).

I think I've also seen "Scarlet Street", but I don't have any vivid memories, same, I think, for "Ministry of Fear". Then there's "Hangmen also die", a curiosity, rather than a great film. Poor BB (not Brigitte Bardot, mind me, but the author of the famous "Ballade...") was one of the script writers of that one.

I won't even deny that 'Metropolis' is a masterpiece. Just that its content cannot be overlooked.

Hope the new Paris Cinematheque will show this soon.

My first viewing of the film was at a Fritz Lang retrospective at the Cinematheque of Henri Langlois days. I was stunned by the film...in various ways!

Too true, yes!

And go catch it again. I think the restored version was done by the Berlin or Munich Filmmuseum or whatever there is... they will certainly show that one at the Cinemateque!

Anyone have any other Fritz Lang recommendations besides "M" and "Metropolis"?  The only other ones I've seen on DVD are the Dr. Mabuse movies.  Any good?

The Big Heat is worth checking out for sure...

http://www.allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll?p=avg&sql=1:5428~C

'Big Heat' is a must-see film. With a number of incredible scenes and great acting (love Gloria Graham in that one!).

But most of the films Lang directed in Hollywood are highly recommended.

Lang started very strong when he went there. 'Fury' (with Spencer Tracy) and 'You only Live Once' (with Henry Fonda and Sylvia Sydney are gripping indictement of the judiciary system.

The war films ('Hangmen Also Die', 'Cloak and Dagger' with a superb performance by Gary Cooper, and 'Ministry of Fear') are genuine masterpieces too.

Skip 'American Guerrilla in the Philippines', a rare bad one from Lang.

More masterpieces are the two films he directed by Joan Bennett 'The Woman in the Window' (with Edward G. Robinson) and 'Scarlet Street'.

And my favorite of them all: 'Moonfleet' with Stewart Granger and George Sanders, a late film in his career but one of his more personal epic.

Anyone have any other Fritz Lang recommendations besides "M" and "Metropolis"?  The only other ones I've seen on DVD are the Dr. Mabuse movies.  Any good?

The Big Heat is worth checking out for sure...

http://www.allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll?p=avg&sql=1:5428~C

'Big Heat' is a must-see film. With a number of incredible scenes and great acting (love Gloria Graham in that one!).

And don't forget Lee Marvin. The Big Heat is essential noir!

Edited by Kalo