*** DVD CORNER ***

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

B000035P5R.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.gif

Missed the image before....a hell of a movie, ain't it? When Mitchum was really inspired(as he was in the original Cape Fear and Sundowners as well) he was as good an actor as you will ever see. What really amazes me, is that in both Night of the Hunter, and Cape Fear, even though he is evil incarnate, you almost root for him!

And let's not forget: The Friends of Eddie Coyle...when is someone going to release that? Probably Mitchum's best late-career performance.

I don't think it has been mentioned before here, King Kong is finally coming to DVD! :tup

B000AY3KNA.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

From what I have read, they had to really dig to find pristine prints to make this edition. Have seen 30 second clips on TCM, and it really, really looks great! Out Nov. 22nd.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AY3KN...&s=dvd&v=glance

I think I posted something about this a month or two back. I'll be really interested to see how the recreated "spider pit sequence" plays... it's a standalone extra, not included with the movie on disc 1 (despite the rumors, they did not locate the original footage). Anyways, it's on my birthday list... nothin' like a box of giant-ape movies to help assuage the pain of turning 40! :crazy:

Edited by ghost of miles

They DIDN'T locate the original spider footage? Than what did they do, CGI a sequence the way they think it MIGHT have looked? That ain't right.

The new King Kong coming to theaters is apparently set back in the time of the original (the early thirties.) That's one thing they did right, but really, what's the point? I don't see the need to remake this film.

Good one!  I love Chaplin.  Bought Modern Times a couple months ago.

I've been slowly working chronologically through all his films. (Many of the Keystones were painful to watch!) The Circus is going to arrive from Netflix today, and then it's onto City Lights & Modern Times).

I found The Circus painful. Not one of his best moments for me.

I just watched it and thought it was enjoyable. Certainly not painful. Now, watching one of the early Keystone films with the heads cropped off & terrible acting/writing, that's painful.

Guy

They DIDN'T locate the original spider footage?  Than what did they do, CGI a sequence the way they think it MIGHT have looked?  That ain't right.

The new King Kong coming to theaters is apparently set back in the time of the original (the early thirties.)  That's one thing they did right, but really, what's the point?  I don't see the need to remake this film.

I think that's indeed what they did, Bruce. I'll still be curious to see it...and it's not included in the film itself, but as an extra on the second disk.

I'm actually interested in seeing the remake... the trailer hooked me. Gotta be better than that blasted mid-70's affair (though it did jumpstart Jessica Lange's career, and for that I guess we can be grateful).

They DIDN'T locate the original spider footage?  Than what did they do, CGI a sequence the way they think it MIGHT have looked?  That ain't right.

The new King Kong coming to theaters is apparently set back in the time of the original (the early thirties.)  That's one thing they did right, but really, what's the point?  I don't see the need to remake this film.

I think that's indeed what they did, Bruce. I'll still be curious to see it...and it's not included in the film itself, but as an extra on the second disk.

I'm actually interested in seeing the remake... the trailer hooked me. Gotta be better than that blasted mid-70's affair (though it did jumpstart Jessica Lange's career, and for that I guess we can be grateful).

I gotta agree with Bruce on this one. What is the point??? The ads on TV make me think the CGI is terrible, which I don't quite understand. Did you see trailer in a theatre??? Perhaps it will look better on the big screen.

They DIDN'T locate the original spider footage? Than what did they do, CGI a sequence the way they think it MIGHT have looked? That ain't right.

The new King Kong coming to theaters is apparently set back in the time of the original (the early thirties.) That's one thing they did right, but really, what's the point? I don't see the need to remake this film.

Actually, i work at the company that produced that segment, Pellerin Multimedia. And now the DVD is out, so I guess that I can talk about it, although I didn't work on KK '33. I am working on the DVD of the new Kong, but I can't talk about that yet in any detail.

But the spider pit sequence recreation was done with models, not CGI. It's all shown how.

I think it would have been wrong to reinsert it into the film. Cooper pulled it back then for good reason.

Also, there was almost no original material from KK '33 - very little artwork, surviving models, etc. What little is on the DVD is what there is.

Actually, i work at the company that produced that segment, Pellerin Multimedia. And now the DVD is out, so I guess that I can talk about it, although I didn't work on KK '33. I am working on the DVD of the new Kong, but I can't talk about that yet in any detail.

But the spider pit sequence recreation was done with models, not CGI. It's all shown how.

I think it would have been wrong to reinsert it into the film. Cooper pulled it back then for good reason.

Also, there was almost no original material from KK '33 - very little artwork, surviving models, etc. What little is on the DVD is what there is.

Adam,

Just two stills and some sketches--isn't that all that survives of the original spider-pit sequence? And it was pulled originally because it upset the pacing... I agree that it would've been a real big mistake to reinsert a recreated sequence into the '33 original.

Here's one of the models from the original sequence:

kongsp1.jpg

and a still:

spider.jpg

Adam,

Just two stills and some sketches--isn't that all that survives of the original spider-pit sequence? And it was pulled originally because it upset the pacing... I agree that it would've been a real big mistake to reinsert a recreated sequence into the '33 original.

Yep. It clearly (IMHO) was too long a segment to drop into the film at that point. I think Cooper dropped it for good reason. Unfortunately, of course, studios didn't worry too much about saving outtakes and scenes that hit the cutting room floor.

Nice spider, though.

Lots of great Criterions lately. Three all-time favorites of mine: Jane Campion's An Angel at My Table, Mike Leigh's Naked, Jean Pierre Melville's Le Samourai. Not sure how I'll afford them, or any of the other 50 or so Criterions I covet.

Edited by Kalo

Just heard that Criterion will be re-issuing "Seven Samurai", "Yojimbo" and "Sanjuro" in 2006. I would like to upgrade my copy of Seven Samurai, as I hear the new transfer is incredible and will be released as a two-disc edition.