*** DVD CORNER ***

Just finished watching Jean-Pierre Melville's Le Samourai on the recent Criterion DVD releae.

Essential. Perhaps the most silent film made in the sound era.

Bob le Flambeur is still my favorite Melville film; but this one may be the more universally "great" masterpiece to go under his authorship.

I'm glad I own both and I look forward to getting the rest of his uniquely "Amero/Frankish" works...

Have you seen The Red Circle? Also essential Melville, also out on Criterion.

I saw it on the big screen when it was re-released a few years ago. I also own the Criterion. Time to watch it again!

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished watching Jean-Pierre Melville's Le Samourai on the recent Criterion DVD releae.

Bob le Flambeur is still my favorite Melville film; but this one may be the more universally "great" masterpiece to go under his authorship.

I'm glad I own both and I look forward to getting the rest of his uniquely "Amero/Frankish" works...

Have you seen The Red Circle? Also essential Melville, also out on Criterion.

I saw it on the big screen when it was re-released a few years ago. I also own the Criterion. Time to watch it again!

Indeed! Actually, seeing the restored Red Circle on the big screen when it was re-released a few years ago was what inspired me to go on a bit of a Melville binge and see La Samouri, Un Flic, and several others. He remains one of my favorite "second tier" directors.

Melville 'Le Silence de la Mer' is hard to beat as most silent. This was Melville's first film, shot in 1947 with a very low budget. The film was based on the novel by Vercors that was published in clandestinity during World War Two.

It tells of a Germany army officer housed on German orders by a French family of two (father and daughter). The father and daughter give the officer the silent treatment. Very austere film with impeccable acting by Howard Vernon as the officer and Nicole Stéphane as the daughter.

As I mentioned in a previous post, another Melville film that needs to be viewed is 'Deux Hommes Dans Manhattan'. Not sure these two films are available on DVDs in the USA...

• 2 weeks later...

Don't mention such things!

And to figure out how to make your DVD player region free, check this site:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

I have followed the suggestion and used it successfully with the Cyberhome DVD-300, which also plays PAL & NTSC, and will output PAL as an NTSC signal to a NTSC monitor. For $50 at Best Buy, you really can't beat it. I recently picked up the Region 2 PAL version of Delicatessen, and it was rather nice to watch it.

I will not be partaking, but I thought some of you might be interested to know that Deepdiscountdvd is having a 40% off sale on Criterion DVDs. Free shipping within the U.S., too.

I succumbed. Can't blame it on this board, either, as I'm getting e-mails direct from them.

But, damn, Criterions at 40% off! A man has only so much resistance.

B000BOH8Z0.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

TIME TUNNEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) I hope someone out there is as excited as I am about this!!! Don't know how I missed hearing that it was coming out, either.They are corny as hell, and the special effects range from terrible to really good(That shot of the many levels of the underground facility!!! :blink: ) but they are still a lot of fun, IMHO....fairly recently, they ran them on the "action" channel, whichever one that is...but it sounds like they have been restored...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BOH8Z...0-9667929?n=130

Post #666!!!!! :ph34r:

Edited by BERIGAN

Watched Kurosawa's Sanjuro last night. Another Criterion, but one I bought used a while back.

Hadn't seen it in years. In my memory, the film had dwindled to a vague notion of having liked it and a vivid recollection of the shots of the camellias floating down the stream.

I enjoyed watching it again. Basically a comedy, but with a few very dark moments.

Edited by Kalo

Just watched Boudu Saved From Drowning

40 % off on Criterion's :tup

I've read that they did a nice job of restoring this one. I saw a muddy, chopped-up copy years ago.

The film still shows alot of damage, but considering the age I think they did a great job

with this film. Another Renoir great.

I just ordered that from DVD Discount.

It's been beat up for years.

How is the Special Feature "Guide to plaves Boudu goes" or whatever it is called?

Which reminds me, does anyone have the extra disc in the Kino Buster Keaton box? It suppsedly has a feature showing the sites in LA where Keaton made his films. I have the book upon which that is based, and wonder how the video version of it is.

Just watched Boudu Saved From Drowning

40 % off on Criterion's :tup

I've read that they did a nice job of restoring this one. I saw a muddy, chopped-up copy years ago.

The film still shows alot of damage, but considering the age I think they did a great job

with this film. Another Renoir great.

The restoration has been excellent. Viewed the film at the Paris Cinematheque years ago during Henri Langlois' tenure there and the copy was not in good shape then.

'Boudu Sauvé des Eaux' is one of the best performances from that incredible actor Michel Simon. Simon was also mesmerizing in Jean Vigo's 'Atalante'.

I just ordered that from DVD Discount.

It's been beat up for years.

How is the Special Feature "Guide to plaves Boudu goes" or whatever it is called?

Which reminds me, does anyone have the extra disc in the Kino Buster Keaton box? It suppsedly has a feature showing the sites in LA where Keaton made his films. I have the book upon which that is based, and wonder how the video version of it is.

This feature is very good. In fact the whole extra disc is full of good stuff. (hhmmm I guess I'm not that articulate on Sunday morning. )

Hey Weizy, I grew up in a poor black neighborhood in Philly, then spent my adolescence in two African nations and traveled a bit through Africa and Europe before I was 18. I had a different perspective than some others did when I returned.

I looked at this crap on tv and never recognized anything that resembled my reality when I was a kid, and when I came back it seemed hollow jive. . .Spreading the "everything is so cool here in America the best place in the world" shucks. . . . I really think that brainwashing kids with this irreal bs is just not good.

But that's me, as I said above, my opinion.

Edited by jazzbo

Oh, okay..

........anyway, back to Uncle Charley for a minute....I only plugged into the show after 1967 and never realized that William Demarest wasn't there from the get-go, and had in fact replaced the ailing William Frawley ('I Love Lucy')...... demarest03.jpg

Yeah, I used to catch this show occasionally when it was syndicated for reruns in the 1970s... I much preferred Frawley. William Demarest creeped me out (as your photo serves to remind me!). :D

Speaking of older TV shows (and probably NOT one for the kids, though, if they're like I was, they'll seek it out, heh, heh) has Night Stalker made it to DVD yet?