*** DVD CORNER ***

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Chaney

I was very young (born 1960) and loved this show at the time it first aired (1966-1971) so please tell me I'm not insane for ordering season one of That Girl, set for release on May 16, 2006.

That Girl ran five seasons on ABC (following Bewitched) from 1966-1971 at a time when the three broadcast networks captured 95% of the viewing audience. Marlo Thomas’ character, Ann, was groundbreaking as an independent female forging her own way and forever changed the manner in which women were portrayed on TV, influencing the development of many of the other successful female-lead shows that followed, from The Mary Tyler Moore Show to Kate & Allie and more.

Wildly popular, That Girl received four Emmy® nominations, as well as a Golden Globe Award for Thomas for Best TV Star Actress. The That Girl cast included Ted Bessel (Hollinger), Ruth Buzzi, George Carlin, Dabney Coleman, Rosemary DeCamp and Lew Parker (Lou Marie) and featured such notable guest stars as Milton Berle, Ethel Merman, Carl Reiner and Danny Thomas (Marlo's father).

This 5-DVD box set features all 30 half-hour episodes from the historic first season plus:

• Original That Girl pilot episode
  • "The Making Of That Girl Featurette" with Marlo Thomas
  • That Girl Promos
  • That Girl In New York with Marlo Thomas and Bill Persky
  • Audio commentaries with Marlo Thomas and Bill Persky

005.jpg

I was very young (born 1960) and loved this show at the time it first aired (1966-1971) so please tell me I'm not insane for ordering season one of That Girl, set for release on May 16, 2006.

You're NOT insane. A tad sentimental, perhaps, but not insane. I was born in 1961 and was also a big fan of the the show. The opening sequence used to kind of hypnotize me. I can't remember any of the plot lines though, and don't know how the show would hold up now.

Just rented I Am Cuba by Mikhail Kalatozov (1964). Definitely interesting. I'm still deciding what I think about it. I guess I generally agree with the reviews that call it a stunning artistic achievement - fantastic camera work heavily influenced by La Doce Vita -- that strains against the political agitprop content of the movie. It's certainly a good looking film, shot in black and white. Worth a look I'd say.

You're NOT insane. A tad sentimental, perhaps, but not insane. I was born in 1961 and was also a big fan of the the show. The opening sequence used to kind of hypnotize me. I can't remember any of the plot lines though, and don't know how the show would hold up now.

I sold a few of the then out of print shows on VHS a few years back...not bad...a bit sitcomy, dated, but still watchable.

I sold a few of the then out of print shows on VHS a few years back...not bad...a bit sitcomy, dated, but still watchable.

My wife, who's a little older than me, says it was one of the dullest shows on television. Oh, well, what can ya do? I still have fond (if blurry) memories of watching it.

My wife, who's a little older than me, says it was one of the dullest shows on television. Oh, well, what can ya do? I still have fond (if blurry) memories of watching it.

Ted Bessell always annoyed me, even when I was a kid. Marlo was cute, though.

I have no desire to revisit this show.

Was Ted Bessell "Donald," the boyfriend? If so, yeah, I wasn't a fan of his either. Sort of a sub-Tony Roberts. I have more desire to revisit the cartoon show Fantastic Voyage (which I know will look like shit to me now) than That Girl. But I still remember that theme song.

Was Ted Bessell "Donald," the boyfriend? If so, yeah, I wasn't a fan of his either. Sort of a sub-Tony Roberts.

Wow! "Sub-Tony Roberts"! You nailed it Bruce.

I have a vague memory that Bessell appeared on Mary Tyler Moore's show as a suitor for several episodes. I was a little disappointed that Mary would even consider this dork.

I have a vague memory that Bessell appeared on Mary Tyler Moore's show as a suitor for several episodes. I was a little disappointed that Mary would even consider this dork.

I believe you're right! I'd also have to say that Bessell's appearance on the MTMS coincided with the show declining a bit, or at least getting tired.

Guest Chaney

I was a faithful viewer on The Mary Tyler Moore Show but to this day, I still can't mark the episode which introduced the Ted Bessell 'Joe' character. I believe he finally left when Mary realized he would never make a commitment.

Sounds like I'm in the minority but I liked Ted Bessell in That Girl. (I was very young...)

A sub-Tony Roberts? Gads! To be below Tony Roberts is quite the feat! (Liked him in Star Spangled Girl -- was Sandy Duncan ever again in a movie in which she qualified as being hot? -- and as the mayor's assistant in The Taking of Pelham One Two Three... OH! and as Woody's sidekick / best friend in what seemed like half his movies.)

They could have chosen better titles for the Dietrich set, IMO.

B000E6ESXK.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E6ESX...&v=glance&n=130

More interested in the Mae West set, never have seen her first film, Night after Night.

B000E6ESX0.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E6ESX...&v=glance&n=130

oh, these sets are coming out April 4th, for around $20 each! :)

I just got the 2 disc DVD of Sergio Leone's "Once Upon A Time In America." I saw this when it was first released in theatres and it remains one of my favourite gangster films. It stars Robert De Niro, James Woods, Elizabeth McGovern and a ton of others. Leone re-cut it to standard length, on pressure from theatre managers. It was a butchery, in that it became an incomprehensible mess. The original is told in flashback and spans the lifetimes of the main characters, kids from a Jewish neighbourhood at the turn of the twentieth century.

If you thought the original, uncut version was long, even though it had an intermission, this DVD release is slightly longer and includes scenes not in the original, as well as many extras.