*** DVD CORNER ***

13666.3.jpg

I highly, highly recommend this movie: "Shaolin Soccer", a comedy from Hong Kong starring Stephen Chow. Miramax has the rights to it and plans to release in the States this year, although probably cut, maybe even dubbed. <_< In fact, even the American trailer was quite silly. Since it was released already back in 2001, it's been available on DVD for quite a long time. Do yourself a favor and buy it directly from Hong Kong: DDDHouse.com. The cost? About $14 including airmail shipping. :) A lot of people are probably selling it on eBay as well, but don't pay more than that, it's a brand new copy. It's BTW illegal to buy it in the States (!) because Disney has the rights to the movie...

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

B00009Q4W6.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I'm sure everyone has been thinking of getting this DVD! :rolleyes:

Anyway, my Dad is a fan of Alice Faye, and they never have shown this film on TV, as far as I know..Have been thinking of getting it for more than a year, so got it for my Dad for Christmas, and watched with my Dad...man, what a bad film! The DVD was made from the only known copy of the film, but it is no lost classic. The copy is terrible. It was made at Fox studios before it became 20th Century Fox (Many of the Fox films are lost today) It looks like it was made for 5000 dollars. It makes Monogram films look like MGM films! They have a "comedy" duo who knock themselves to the ground, that was their act.I'd go into more detail, but why? ....It sucks.....Now, I just need to find some sucker to sell it to who thinks it might be interesting! ;)

I am really glad that Criterion decided to re-release those Tati movies.

Down by Law is one of my favorite movies and the Criterion two-disc set is well worth the $39.95 price tag—as are most dvds they put out.

Here are a few other films from the Criterion Collection well worth checking out if you haven’t already:

150_box_100x140.jpg

170_box_100x140.jpg

118_box_100x140.jpg

I'm glad that Criterion released Bob le Flambeur but why did the jerks have to re-translate the subtitles??? Make the titles more visually clear if you want, but don't change the goddamn wording idiots!!!!!!!!!!

(...puff..puff...) I feel better now.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind Criterion coming out with ALL of Melville's movies. I saw The Red Circle on the big screen last year, a restored copy, and liked it a lot. Then about a month ago I rented a video of it and man, did it stink (the quality of the print, I mean)! Needs a good DVD release.

Come to think, when is someone going to release Crime Wave on DVD? Andre de Toth, Sterling Hayden, and a very young Charles Bronson in a supporting role.

Porco Rosso, widescreen, with English subtitles. When?

Edited by BruceH

DVD Planet is cheaper for all of the Criterion DVDs.

I can't wait for the Ingmar Bergman MGM box set coming out in February, including "Persona," "Hour of the Wolf," "Shame," "The Passion of Anna," and "Summer with Monika," plus lots of extras.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind Criterion coming out with ALL of Melville's movies. I saw The Red Circle on the big screen last year, a restored copy, and liked it a lot. Then about a month ago I rented a video of it and man, did it stink (the quality of the print, I mean)! Needs a good DVD release.

Come to think, when is someone going to release Crime Wave on DVD? Andre de Toth, Sterling Hayden, and a very young Charles Bronson in a supporting role.

If they release more Melville movies, I would recommend you take a look at 'Deux Hommes dans Manhattan' a 1958 movie shot in Melville studios in Paris plus scenes shot in New York with Jean-Pierre Melville playing one of the lead characters. An excellent 'film noir'. With good jazz sountrack by Christian Chevallier (and Martial Solal).

I'll second your suggestion for a DVD release of de Toth's 'Crime Wave'. Never saw that one. Read and heard plenty about it. And anyway, any film with Sterling Hayden is a must see.

Hmm.  I just turned off the DVD player myself after watching Pulp Fiction one more time.  I must admit, I like that movie more each time I see it, but as with other Tarrantino films I've seen, it would have been better if he had stayed behind the camera! :lol:

I think Jackie Brown is really underrated-- and Reservoir Dogs is great. But I don't need to see Tarantino himself :)

someone mentioned Emily Watson-- if you can find it, check out the film "Trixie". This is by no means a great movie, but Watson is good in it as a malaprop-ridden private eye and it definitely feels like an Alan Rudolph film (take that as you will)!

re: Criterion DVDs. They are a bit more expensive and I don't always spring for them (generally I just want the movie), but some of their releases are stellar, such as most of the Kurosawa, The 400 Blows, Andrei Rublev ... but Robocop?

Edited by chris

Here's something for the DVD wish-list:

"The Job" complete. I'm not holding me breath.

I know what you mean. I'd like to see Wild at Heart and Lost Highway on DVD, but I seen to remember there some contractual problems. (Lynch doesn't own them anymore?)

:angry:

According to Digital Bits/Rumor Mill, the original Star Wars Trilogy is due out in September. HOWEVER, the following is an interesting quote from their website:

"Interviewed for Robert J. Emery's The Directors: Take 4, Lucas reportedly says that when the original Star Wars Trilogy is released on DVD, he'll finally be able to release the films the way he originally intended. The site concludes that this confirms more changes to the original films as we've reported in the past. We'll just have to wait and see. September 2004's getting closer and closer every day."

The "as we've reported in the past" link takes you to the following quote:

"One other note today... we've heard from a number of interesting (and we believe reliable) inside sources that Lucsafilm is currently making major new changes to the original Star Wars films - the kind of changes he began a few years ago with the theatrical "Special Edition" releases. These changes include new special effects, revised and updated shots and scenes, and new footage shot with actors Hayden Christensen (Anakin) and Ian McDiarmid (the Emperor) that would flesh out moments with their characters in the original films. For example, an aged and scarred Hayden now appears as Anakin at the end of Return of the Jedi when Luke removes Vader's helmet. Among the other changes reportedly being made are the restoration of the original "Han shoots first" moment from Star Wars and a revamped lightsaber fight between Obi-Wan and Vader. What we've heard meshes with what we've been told before, which is that Lucas has always planned to release ultimate, "Archive" editions of these films that tie in better with the new prequels. The main question in our minds now is this: will these changes be completed in time to appear on the DVD releases planned for next September, or will we have to wait until after Episode III hits theaters to see them? And if we have to wait, what versions will appear on the DVDs? Time will tell."

I can sort of accept adding special effects to the films, which doesn't really change the story for the most part. But adding new footage? That seems a bit much - not sure I like that, in principal. At least September's not THAT far off, so we'll be able to see what Lucas actually does to the films...

Today's DVD purchase, strictly on the basis of recommendations from this board (and the BNBB, of course): The Big Lebowski. Never saw it before. I'm only half way through the movie, but I had to take a break. My god, my ribs hurt, my face is aching...I'm laughing myself into an early grave. This has got to be the funniest fucking movie I have ever seen! :lol::lol::lol:

I have seen this movie at least 75 times and lemme tell ya, it never misses a step! Actually it was not a film that sunk in with me very well upon initial viewing, but I knew there was something to it. The more I thought about it the more I liked it. Now how many films have you seen that made you think at all?

The Dude abides, man!

Best. Movie. Ever.

The first time I watched The Big Lebowski I enjoyed it, but got too caught up trying to follow the convoluted mystery story to fully appreciate it. The second or third time, I was bowled over. I've probably seen it about twelve times now and I catch some new subtle nuance in it each time.

Edited by Big Wheel

Well, I finished up, and I must say I'm impressed. Can't wait to see it again! I thought for sure you guys were rating this one way too high, but maybe not. We'll see if I agree in ten or fifteen more viewings. I'll say this: I didn't think anything they did could top Fargo, but I was wrong. Only distracting moment: I kept looking for Dana Carvey whenever the nihilists were talking... :wacko:

I can understand why I thought you guys were too high on it, though. Thinking back over the movie, if someone described the thing too me perfectly, I don't think it would sound that good. It just seems too ludicrous. But while watching it, it worked. Amazing...

When Lebowski came out it got lukewarm to negative reviews, so I gave it a miss. A year or two later a friend recommended it, and a quick rental made me a believer. I knew guys like The Dude in college...didn't we all? If you tell people it's a stoner version of Chandler, they're probably not going to expect it to be so damn funny. (Or maybe I'm just sick.) But it's one of those that you have to see for yourself. Descriptions don't do it justice.

And how about Goodman's character? :lol: