*** DVD CORNER ***

Man, I wish more companies would do what Universal is doing with the Abbott and Costello films. 8 movies on two discs and all for less than 20 bucks! :blink::blink:

Of course, the Best film they made A & C Meet Frankenstein, retails for $24.95

37965.jpg

They sure saved on the cover art, eh??? But damn, sure would like to see more sets like this! To get 4 Sherlock Holmes (with Basil Rathbone) films in a cheap looking box set(They were restored by UCLA) is around $60. And there will be 4 sets of these.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...?v=glance&s=dvd

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I'm not the only one who's been waiting for this...

NORTHERN EXPOSURE IS FINALLY COMING TO DVD!!!

Just got an email from Amazon stating that the first season will be released in May. Here's a link with more info...

Northern Exposure DVD on Amazon

May just can't come soon enough. I've been waiting for this for years!

When Lebowski came out it got lukewarm to negative reviews, so I gave it a miss. A year or two later a friend recommended it, and a quick rental made me a believer. I knew guys like The Dude in college...didn't we all? If you tell people it's a stoner version of Chandler, they're probably not going to expect it to be so damn funny. (Or maybe I'm just sick.) But it's one of those that you have to see for yourself. Descriptions don't do it justice.

And how about Goodman's character? :lol:

TBL came out while I was living in Lawrence, KS. My buddy Scott owned the theatre that got it. They had a bowling torney the night before the premiere with lots of giveaways and goddies. We did awful. The team from the downtown barbershop smoked everyone.

I was only lukewarm upon first viewing as well. Liked it much more the second time. I think I'm at a point in my life where I much prefer the warped drama over the screwball comedy, as far as the Coens go. I didn't like Oh Brother at all and damn-near walked out of Intolerable Cruelty. Interestingly, The Man Who Wasn't There bored me to tears. I was assuming I'd be all over it, since I'm such a noir fan. I loved the cinematogtaphy but ultimately felt very distanced from the characters. I couldn't have cared less what happened to any of them. Everyone was so blase that I wasn't inspired to give damn either.

As it happens, I haven't really loved a Coen Bros film since Fargo. My all time fave being Miller's Crossing by a landslide. Just watched it the other night, in fact.

Interestingly, The Man Who Wasn't There bored me to tears. I was assuming I'd be all over it, since I'm such a noir fan. I loved the cinematogtaphy but ultimately felt very distanced from the characters. I couldn't have cared less what happened to any of them.

Some friends of mine, who are also into film noir BTW, had a VERY similar reaction to The Man Who Wasn't There. This was reason enough for me to avoid it. I also really enjoyed Miller's Crossing, saw it three times when it came out. After that, Barton Fink was a major bummer. (For me, Oh Brother got better as it went along.) I'm almost afraid to see Miller's Crossing now, for fear that it won't live up to the memory.

In the running for one of the worst movies every made: Hudsucker Proxy. A misfire of almost Hudson Hawkian proportions. (Hypothesis: all films with "Hud" in the title suck.)

Interestingly, The Man Who Wasn't There bored me to tears.  I was assuming I'd be all over it, since I'm such a noir fan.  I loved the cinematogtaphy but ultimately felt very distanced from the characters.  I couldn't have cared less what happened to any of them.

Some friends of mine, who are also into film noir BTW, had a VERY similar reaction to The Man Who Wasn't There. This was reason enough for me to avoid it. I also really enjoyed Miller's Crossing, saw it three times when it came out. After that, Barton Fink was a major bummer. (For me, Oh Brother got better as it went along.) I'm almost afraid to see Miller's Crossing now, for fear that it won't live up to the memory.

In the running for one of the worst movies every made: Hudsucker Proxy. A misfire of almost Hudson Hawkian proportions. (Hypothesis: all films with "Hud" in the title suck.)

Bruce, somewhat surprised a Coen Bros. fan wouldn't like Barton Fink! have you ever given it a second chance? Hudsucker Proxy is one of the worst films ever, a Hudson Hawk? :blink:

I like Hudsucker Proxy. I also like Barton Fink. (Quite a bit, actually.)

Funny story about Barton Fink: The first three times I saw it I had to split after it ended. These were all video rental experences, by the way. Either I got called into work or had to be in class...whatever. Something. Regardless, I liked the minimalism and apprciated the William Faulkner reference but never understood why it was such a big deal. Finally, I saw the ending one night and I was like "oooooookaaaaaaayyyy....."

All of this is to say that the climax makes it. That's a great film.

Really? Even "Hud"?

Personally, Hud goes right along with my "hud" theory. As far as I'm concerned, that is.

Wouldn't really describe myself as a Coen Bros. fan since I dislike so many of their films. (Including Raising Arizona and Blood Simple.) On the other hand, I really like some...so it would be more accurate to say I run hot and cold on them. I've written them off several times, then they'll come out with a film like Lebowski and I'll be forced to relent. What can I tell ya? ....Films is funny.

Schindler's List is coming out on Tuesday, Mar 9th, finally (at least for Region 1).

DVD Features:

"Voices From the List" featurette, 80 minutes

"Behind the Shoah Foundation With Steven Spielberg" featurette, 12 minutes

Widescreen anamorphic format

This one is a first-day pickup for me!

Edited by Aggie87

Ok, Naked Lunch caught my eye today when I was picking up Schindler's List. I've never seen this, and don't know much about it beyond the blurbs on the packaging. How is this - the movie itself, and the DVD? I assume since it's a Criterion, it's gotta be a pretty good package.

B0000CDUT5.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Ok, Naked Lunch caught my eye today when I was picking up Schindler's List. I've never seen this, and don't know much about it beyond the blurbs on the packaging. How is this - the movie itself, and the DVD? I assume since it's a Criterion, it's gotta be a pretty good package.

I think it's amazing. Great transfer, cool little booklet. :wub::g:party::tup:tup:tup:rlol

Once again, the DVD brings the long forgotten back to life!

IMA000165.jpg

the info at Deepdiscountdvd.com

DVD Description

After hosting a highly successful special on NBC in 1977, Richard Pryor was offered a ten-week contract by the network to present his own show. However, bizarre scheduling problems and Pryor's paranoia concerning his abilities meant that it only ran to four shows. Although the ratings didn't manage to live up to expectations, the shows have subsequently undergone something of a critical rehabilitation, and are now regarded to be amongst Pryor's best work. Combining a mixture of political satire and his inimitable rapier wit, Pryor worked with a variety of special guests on the shows to produce some classic comedic subject matter which still resonates to this day. Guests include John Belushi, Maya Angelou, Robin Williams, Sandra Bernhard, and many others.

Edited by BERIGAN

I discovered at the SXSW film festival last week that Criterion is going to issue both Slacker and Dazed and Confused within the next year. They're going back and cleaning up Slacker as we speak, which is kind of funny considering that clarity wasn't necessarily the point in the first place. As I understand it, they're really only doing both titles so that they can issue Dazed and Confused which will understandbaly make them a decent amount of money (considering it's strong cult fanbase). Not that i isn't a great film, mind you. In fact, I think it would benefit from Criterion status because, as it stands now, many people only understand it to be a late-night dormroom party film instead of the surprisingly accurate retelling of the American high school experience that it actualy is.