ebay madness re: vinyl

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've noticed that if a seller lists dozens of LPs in a certain vain at once (usually free, creative, private press), all of them get bid up way higher than when they're listed "alone". I don't get that.

I think buyers equate a number of rare/sought-after titles with the seller being reliable, and combined shipping probably helps.

Do bobdjukic's LPs have magical healing properties? That's the only explanation I can think of for the crazy prices he gets. :wacko:

Hoffmanites?

Aren't old sealed records likely to be warped? I remember hearing that somewhere, and have subsequently avoided them.

This is the big question.

An original first press Attica Blues? Still sealed?

He says in the description 'two breather holes' in the seal. So perhaps they take away the risk of warped vinyl?

I bought a still sealed copy of Wes and Jimmy 'Further Adventures' on Verve. Unfortunately record was warped and unplayable. By my standards anyway :D

This guy seems to get a lot of sixties and early seventies still sealed vinyl though.

And this one is listed from his 'personal collection' :lol:

Didn't anyone tell him what a great album this is...and he should have a listen to it.

• 4 months later...

Wow! Nearly $2700 for a first pressing numbered copy of Spiritual Unity: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221313029062?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Popsike says the next highest priced copy went for 1000 GBP followed by $640. T

The earliest copies were supposed to be signed by the musicians, where did they sign?

I was following that auction myself; crazy!

I could not see any signatures on any of the photos provided; though I guess one could have asked the seller about that while the auction was current.

I'm happy with my "regular" nm first issue with red print and red "handwritten" styled label info. I also have a few different cd issues of this...certainly a cornerstone free jazz disc for me.

• 3 months later...

Taling of ebay madness, anyone else see that Coltrane Alternate Village Vanguard twofer from the 70s that went for $237. Now that's what I call beyond insane ! Or maybe it comes with a free sealed 'Cosmic Music' :lol:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JOHN-COLTRANE-w-ERIC-DOLPHY-OTHER-VILLAGE-VANGUARD-SEALED-ORIG-IMPULSE-2-LP-SET-/141188321359?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=uvFhc0RPommnfJ9V90%252B%252FaDDm6qY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Now is not the time to be buying original Blue Notes, prices are reaching all time highs. Personally I don't think this inflated market is going hold.

About as risky and bubbly-implosive as current real estate prices in London, NY, Vancouver etc.

Edited by sidewinder

Taling of ebay madness, anyone else see that Coltrane Alternate Village Vanguard twofer from the 70s that went for $237. Now that's what I call beyond insane ! Or maybe it comes with a free sealed 'Cosmic Music' :lol:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JOHN-COLTRANE-w-ERIC-DOLPHY-OTHER-VILLAGE-VANGUARD-SEALED-ORIG-IMPULSE-2-LP-SET-/141188321359?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=uvFhc0RPommnfJ9V90%252B%252FaDDm6qY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

That is crazy--that's a $25 record. Still sealed = probably warped.

Yup...I stay away from sealed records...maybe the sticker is worth a lot? :)

• 2 weeks later...

$25 is even kind of high in my experience!

• 3 months later...

Miles Davis test pressing current bid at $980

Miles Davis Unknown (12/28/72) (Columbia Recording Studios Acetate) US pressing, acetate

Vinyl grade: VG-, the lacquer is intact except for one tiny chip on the edge of the disc; there are many scratches, most light but several can be felt; we did not clean the disc, there is some light dust that should be easy to deal with, no warp, light label wear, handwritten credits on labels
Special note: We've identified the 14:40 side as a take of the track that would eventually become "Billy Preston" on "Get Up With It."

Seller has posted links to audio samples as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I was following that auction myself; crazy!

I could not see any signatures on any of the photos provided; though I guess one could have asked the seller about that while the auction was current.

I'm happy with my "regular" nm first issue with red print and red "handwritten" styled label info. I also have a few different cd issues of this...certainly a cornerstone free jazz disc for me.

I was playing mine today and I noticed it has an 'ear' stamped in the dead wax; interesting finding. I usually don't see this mentioned for this album.

Does yours have it?

Mine has the "ear" as well on both sides. One side also has a "bell sound" stamp in the dead wax. Also one side has a deep groove. The innersleeve has pictures and interviews with Cecil Taylor, Albert Ayler, etc regarding the new music. Also the former owner of mine enclosed a NY Times newspaper clipping about the new music that dates from 1965. Sadly no Paul Haines booklet but i can always open my Revenant box if I want to read it!