ebay madness re: vinyl

King Pressing of 'Inventions and Dimensions' went for $178,50. This title is getting increasingly more expensive and I have waited too long. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HERBIE-HANCOCK-INVENTIONS-AND-DIMENTIONS-BLUE-NOTE-GXK-8137-Japan-OBI-VINYL-LP-/333879736933

Unfortunately, the recent reissue from Blue Note was marred by flutter/speed problems. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

King Pressing of 'Inventions and Dimensions' went for $178,50. This title is getting increasingly more expensive and I have waited too long. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HERBIE-HANCOCK-INVENTIONS-AND-DIMENTIONS-BLUE-NOTE-GXK-8137-Japan-OBI-VINYL-LP-/333879736933

Unfortunately, the recent reissue from Blue Note was marred by flutter/speed problems. 

Ridiculous !

i have the MM 2x45, more than happy with it and don’t recall any issues with it.

1 hour ago, Brad said:

If you think those price are ridiculous see the MMJ auctions.  They’re just as bad. Also, the Tone Poet of Nigeria just went for around $130  

On top of that shipping from Japan is very iffy these days. I have excluded any auctions located in Japan because I don’t wish to take the risk of not receiving the cds or records. 

I received an LP in six days,two of which were the weekend, from Japan today. Couldn't believe the speed.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

theres a disocgs main page article today about the inflated prices and also we have to consider at this point it might be money laundering as well, the radio forum people are abosolutely convinced people are laundering through the rediculous inflated prices of certain vacuum tubes

On 2/14/2021 at 11:18 PM, Daniel A said:

i just got a crazy deal on "succotash"- probably your best bet at this point for it

16 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

theres a disocgs main page article today about the inflated prices and also we have to consider at this point it might be money laundering as well, the radio forum people are abosolutely convinced people are laundering through the rediculous inflated prices of certain vacuum tubes

i just got a crazy deal on "succotash"- probably your best bet at this point for it

The 1989 US pressing may say "Digital Transfers: Ron McMaster", but that's just copied over from the CD artwork from the CD that was released concurrently with this LP. This is an analog cut. Ron told me that he always cut Blue Note LPs from the analog masters back then and to ignore that digital typo.

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

Succotash is the way to go if you just want the music. Same record, same mix, and AFAIK, same mastering, just repressed and repackaged to get a piece of the then-current market.

But I want the cover. That's why I want the LP. 

21 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

But I want the cover. That's why I want the LP. 

I found mine in a mom-and-pop in south Dallas ca. 1978-79 and paid the original sticker price, still sealed.

I had already had succotash for a few years before that and had pretty much played the record enough by then.

I'll sell you my cover for $100,000.00. I'll pay postage.

Deal?

But seriously, I get the whole "object" thing, that's why I bought it when I did, for the object. But the vinyl fetishists are going to drive up the prices, so you might even be able to get a shitty OG LP for the cover and then a good Succotash for the record itself.

Unless you already have the record, in which case...$99,999.00. Fair?

16 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

The NY USA original of this one has always been pretty hard to get, for some reason.

It did not stay in print for that long, it seems. That's why they were able to repackage it as Succotash - Herbie was huge, Willie Bobo was more visible than ever, and the record was not in catalog.

Think about what it is - no hits, no stars (at the time). Who was gonna buy that like they did his other records?

2 hours ago, bresna said:

The 1989 US pressing may say "Digital Transfers: Ron McMaster", but that's just copied over from the CD artwork from the CD that was released concurrently with this LP. This is an analog cut. Ron told me that he always cut Blue Note LPs from the analog masters back then and to ignore that digital typo.

never knew about that one!

it's the label's first release in the new classical vinyl market... so I guess they still wonder themselves... if you read their mission statement it sounds like they want to create a counterpart to something like the tonepoet series... the double LP will even come with an OBI strip... 

https://challengevinyl.com/the-mission

I don't see that working out... there may be a market for used classical LPs but from all I've seen it's not comparable whatsoever with the market for vintage BN LPs... generally, classical music seems to be one of the last strongholds of the CD... if you read Roth's artist's instagram or facebook you don't get the impression that he truly shares the excitement about this format decision - and this is not someone who is shy when it comes to selfpromotion... it does sound like a reasonably interesting release

but I'd be shocked if this works out as a business model

• 1 month later...

Is it me or are prices on Discogs getting more and more insane? With 90 items on my wantlist I could hardly find one attractive or even reasonable offer. Almost every seller tries to sell their stuff for at least 30 or 40 euros above the median price. That plus the shipping costs makes collecting vinyl something for rich people only. Buying my monthly vinyl really was something I always looked out for but not anymore. 

discogs has become quite weird, especially with the shipping costs making so many things prohibitive... I had a very nice afternoon today, buying vinyl in real shops in Rotterdam... (and few weeks ago I was at Swingmaster in Groningen which is completely amazing despite its somewhat remote location) but, of course, my tastes and wishes are probably not quite as refined/expensive as yours ;)

• 6 months later...
On 2021-02-15 at 9:11 AM, sidewinder said:

Ridiculous !

i have the MM 2x45, more than happy with it and don’t recall any issues with it.

A year ago this was ridiculous (and maybe it still is) but lately I have seen several King pressings of Blue Note titles go for far beyond $100.

This is not madness, but amusing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334315356328

It would have been an interesting concept, but the album title is wrong. 

_20220206_153201.JPG