ebay madness re: vinyl

Okay, even though I've been collecting vinyl for years, I know that there are many areas of specialization that I am unfamiliar with.

That said, can someone check out this listing I saw on Ebay this morning? This MUST be good! (that, or the jacket has been filled with contraband!) :excited:

-----> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...9&category=1585

Edited by slide_advantage_redoux

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Wait a minute...did the original really have that style of inner sleeve??? :huh:

Don't know specifically about old Prestiges, but I've got a bunch of old 50s vinyl with sleeves llike that. It's not rice paper though, more like wax paper.

Same here. Don't have "a bunch" though. But yeah, it's like wax paper without the wax, that kinda stuff.

And didn't a lot of the early-mid 50s things, 10'-ers in particular, come with no inner sleeves?

Of course, those wax paper sleeves weren't too durable; hence, the introduction of paper sleeves. Actually, $200 isn't unreasonable for a nice copy of that Miles title. But look at the other auctions: an annihilated copy of the Rocky Boyd on Jazztime. I'd be afraid to see what a NM copy would do...

Of course, those wax paper sleeves weren't too durable; hence, the introduction of paper sleeves. Actually, $200 isn't unreasonable for a nice copy of that Miles title. But look at the other auctions: an annihilated copy of the Rocky Boyd on Jazztime. I'd be afraid to see what a NM copy would do...

I still have quite a number of these Prestige (including the four Miles Davis-Coltrane quintet LPs) with the waxpaper sleeves and most of them are holding pretty well. Most of those sleeves did as long as you were careful with them when you inserted the vinyl back into the record cover.

And didn't a lot of the early-mid 50s things, 10'-ers in particular, come with no inner sleeves?

wow, 10 foot records!

(sorry, couldn't resist) :g

and yes: the ones I buy are usually without inner sleeve or with some clear see-thru plastic, usually rounded at the bottom (and bigger than the outer sleeve :wacko: )

• 9 months later...

Do you mean the Buy It Now Price?

The seller says it is a W. 61st address label.

However, a picture of the label shows it is no such thing, but a Liberty pressing.

Yes, the BIN. Maybe he meant to put $25, which is what it goes for.

Uninformed sellers often list the address on the back cover(W. 61st..) like it was address on label.

As has been said before, these heavy hitters on eBay are a pain. It is their privilege, of course, to bid over three large for an old Jackie McLean LP, and best wishes to the seller, but it's just nuts.

There's a guy in Japan, with an unlisted eBay rating yet, who drowns out ordinary bidders. His top bid does not show up, as no-one can keep up with him. I guess he just sticks in something like $1000 and leaves it to scoop the pool.

Oh well, most of us have lots of other things to listen to, and we can even unmute CNN. :D