ebay madness re: vinyl

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a cautionary story on Ebay fraud. Phony bids allegedly were entered to drive up the price of some cars-- big ticket items, of course, but whose to say that it doesn't happen in our own little crazy world of vinyl collecting, especially when we are now seeing some serious prices for old BNs, etc.

EBAY FRAUD

Edited by Leeway

The one thing that's been bothering me a bit when I sell stuff, is 'switching and returning'. I guarantee satisfaction.

I could have sworn the LP I sent this guy was as described, but he said there were problems other that what was described. When I get the LP back there are flaws I could have sworn were not there. I just can't can't be sure.

Seems to only happen with the pricier stuff.

Time for invisible ink???

That's an interesting scam, if indeed a switch was made. That would mean the buyer already had a copy but wanted to upgrade it. That seems like a lot of trouble to go through, but who knows.

I had an odd situation happen to me some time ago. I bought 2 Blue Note LPs from the same seller. When both arrived, one was fine, and indeed the other was fine as well; however, the second LP, when I pulled the vinyl out, actually belonged to another album. Someone had put the vinyl back in the wrong sleeve. I figured the guy bought a collection, and the original owner has mixed up a couple of LPs. Anyway, I asked for a return, which was granted. I wonder if the seller thought I was putting one over on him? Probably. Although if he did think so, he was probably wondering, why the heck would someone do that? :unsure:

That eBay false bidding scam is repulsive and unethical of course, Leeway, but the silly bidders (the real ones) should not have bid more than they were willing to pay. That way, the items would have closed with no real bids and the sellers would not have received a penny, and would also have had to pay the eBay percentages of the final "bid" amounts. This does not justify what the crooks did, but people have only themselves to blame if they over-bid for something.

I like, nay, I love, Jackie Mclean. However..........

EBAY Jackie Mclean Bidding

$3,050.00 ? For me, that's simply too much. Anyone feel differently? Did anyone bid on this one? The winning bidder has been doing some heavy duty bidding and buying.

Back around '89, I brokered a deal (no fee to me) for a friend who had a mint copy of Jackie's AdLib LP for $500. I thought that was an outstanding price. More than 6 times as much 15 years later, I'm astounded!

That eBay false bidding scam is repulsive and unethical of course, Leeway, but the silly bidders (the real ones) should not have bid more than they were willing to pay. That way, the items would have closed with no real bids and the sellers would not have received a penny, and would also have had to pay the eBay percentages of the final "bid" amounts. This does not justify what the crooks did, but people have only themselves to blame if they over-bid for something.

You're right, in that the bidder should always know what they are doing, and exercise restraint. However, it's usually not that simple, especially in an auction environment, where competitive bidding generates its own type of urgency.

That's why the state has stepped in and charged fraud. Buyers should not be duped into engaging in transactions in an envorinment that's essentially fraudulent. This is not different than brick and mortar auction houses using shills or phony bidders to entice bidders into paying more.

check this out.

I went to the Jazz Record Center to sell a few rare lps. I refused his offer. I am walking down the street a few blocks and for some reason decide to look at the Rouse Blue Note I offered. Inside the sleeve was a Coltrane reissue. A switch had occured ;accidently I am sure. :w

thankfully Fred found the record but you really can't be too careful!

One eBay seller is auctioning some 800 vinyls that were part of the LP collection of Evan Parker.

One sample:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...4054281356&rd=1

You can click on the 'View seller's other items' line for a look at other vinyls...

why look-y there. it is one of the very few Barney Wilen items brownie doesn't have...

and the tapes are lost too, aren't they?

couw, no need to rub it in.

I refuse to pay that much - and there are four more days to go - for an album!

But those tapes will hopefully turn up one day  :ph34r:

yes, let's hope they will.

no doubt you will run into a decently priced copy in Paris one day.

That Francois Tusques 'Le Nouveau Jazz' finally went up to $710!

Probably more than Tusques ever made in a single concert...

couw, no need to rub it in.

I refuse to pay that much - and there are four more days to go - for an album!

But those tapes will hopefully turn up one day  :ph34r:

yes, let's hope they will.

no doubt you will run into a decently priced copy in Paris one day.

That Francois Tusques 'Le Nouveau Jazz' finally went up to $710!

Probably more than Tusques ever made in a single concert...

icon8.gif