ebay madness re: vinyl

Jazz 45s, unfortunately have not usually been treated with the same reverance as have LPs and even Jazz 78s. They tend to be scratched and dusty.

Even in vintage vinyl outlets, in which the records are kept on shelves, in meticulous order, 45s are quite often just in a bin, not even always in their sleeves. Sad really, particularly since many sides that never made it to LPs were originally released on 45s which are floating out there, somewhere.

In short, with some exceptions, 45s seem to have been treated as disposable.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

It's interesting to keep track of any anthonypearson eBaymania.

Examples:

> $100: Wave/Warne Marsh-Release record, send tape

$85: Sonny Clark-Dial S for Sonny --> Toshiba Japan release :huh:

I think my Toshiba Clark cost a whopping £10. Obviously anything 'pearson' carries a hefty premium.. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I must have looked at millions of albums since I started getting interested in jazz more than hald a century ago and I think I have seen almost all the worthy one.

But NEVER an original of that 'True Blue'. And this original still looks pretty good!

Even the Japanese King vinyl reissue is a pretty rare item. But not going into four figures!

Even the Japanese King vinyl reissue is a pretty rare item. But not going into four figures!

Is the King Japanese reissue of this one really that rare? I think I paid £10 for it.

I have noticed those King vinyls go for pretty high figures on eBay sales nowadays, but still under $100, I would say. Wolff might know!

Bought my copy for about the same amount as yours (some twenty years ago).

Does your copy have a light yellowish background on the front too? I thought the original had a white background...

I've seen/held/played an original True Blue. Walked into a used jazz record store about 4-5 years ago right after they got in some BN's and Mosaics. I picked up all the mint BN's he had(5 or 6) and 2 or 3 Mosaics. Then I started checking out the TB. The cover was is in pretty bad shape, but the record played pretty good. He wanted around $150. I had already spent 4 or 5 hundred, so I passed.

Got home and started thinking I should have gotten it. Called the next morning and it was gone. Oh well...... :)

Does your copy have a  light yellowish background on the front too? I thought the original had a white background...

I think it does. I can't actually find it at present though, although it is in there in the racks somewhere hiding away. Really must do some filing on the Blue Notes. The really good thing about the Tina Brooks Mosaic is that at least you can always find it ( :lol:).

The really good thing about the Tina Brooks Mosaic is that at least you can always find it.

One? Aren't there like four good things about the Tina Brooks Mosaic?

:)

Indeed ! - Time to open up this box once more and enjoy.

Still can't find the damn King pressing. Jeez - I need to hire that elf librarian assistant pronto before this gets out of hand ( :D ).

• 2 weeks later...

That Booker Little just went for $305, Time mono pressing. Sheesh.

Also - and this ties into another question I had - the Steve Kuhn on Contact went for $111, and it is now up on Paris Jazz corner for almost $200. I used to bid on this one occasionally, put in $40 and it would go for $41, and had since forgotten to look for it until recently. Why so expensive?