ebay madness re: vinyl

Look at this MObley 1540 auction : its VG+ (means :probably noisy), described as flat edge, (but infact surely not, because orginals of this one are Lex labels , this one is a later 47 w press, probably circa 1958-1959), cover is Lex but kakubuchi.

30 sec before auction ends, it was still 147 $ ! But (fortunate - ly) here comes mr Japanese and his Esnipe set to 10000000000 $ for anything that bears Blue Note : it ends with 510 !!! for a VG+, later press, seam split....this is now where we are with ebay madness. i bet you now that next copy will be 700, then 1000... etc... :crazy::tdown

http://cgi.ebay.com/HANK-MOBLEY-BLUE-NOTE-...1QQcmdZViewItem

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

meanwhile vinyl Mosaic sets are dropping in price. :unsure:

Really? Where? :excited:

On Ebay !

I 've got this Lp set for $58 , and the condition of the Box/LP is NM , Blue Note Sessions

The "trad" sets have never sold for the crazy money of the bop sets. I guarantee Mosaic vinyl values are not falling. I'll pay almost any price someone is asking for theirs and still resell it for a profit.

Wow. And that Dorham isn't even near-mint vinyl. :blink:

And not even a first press : apparently not flat edge, not kakubuchi. But some switch their brain to "stanby" as soon as it reads "deep groove", "blue note" "767 lex" etc...Moreover if its from Euclid. Those guys can sell everything at highest prices. I don't even bids on their records for that reason !! (anyway they also have nice records in buy it now)

Have you noticed that the increase of Blue Note prices are mainly due NEW ebayers (low feedback) from Japan... Well.. How many are they ?

And not even a first press : apparently not flat edge, not kakubuchi. But some switch their brain to "stanby" as soon as it reads "deep groove", "blue note" "767 lex" etc...Moreover if its from Euclid. Those guys can sell everything at highest prices. I don't even bids on their records for that reason !! (anyway they also have nice records in buy it now)

Have you noticed that the increase of Blue Note prices are mainly due NEW ebayers (low feedback) from Japan... Well.. How many are they ?

I think there are a lot of new eBay buyers from Japan because they are tired of paying "top" dollar. You think the eBay prices are high? A lot of the names of the high bidders that you see over and over again are Japanese record dealers. They are buying these and marking them up and re-selling them!

I think there are a lot of new eBay buyers from Japan because they are tired of paying "top" dollar. You think the eBay prices are high? A lot of the names of the high bidders that you see over and over again are Japanese record dealers. They are buying these and marking them up and re-selling them!

Oh yes i know, i know,.. "trot n gallop", "ondemand12".. all are Tokyo dealers....i know one of them. met him in Tokyo.

I really want that Gil Melle, but I even get outbid at high prices on the King pressing!

Yep.. this is a record i should have buy back in those 90's years, when it was still affordable for me. Anyway those record from Euclid are always overpaid (same as Atomic and Jazz5060) by Japs. The reputation of the seller explains the high price. This Gil Mellé has always been very rare, even among Lex... Anyway it was not so pricey especially regarding Morgan or Griffin. Now heres another peak...

Edited by Michel

I really want that Gil Melle, but I even get outbid at high prices on the King pressing!

It may be heresy in this particular thread - but I find the 2CD set is the way to go with the Gil Melle..

Failing that - the King pressing. I think mine was £10.

Does your turntable play CDs?

I know Mosaic has thrown in the towel on producing LPs, but imagine how fast that 2 CD set would sell out as a 4 LP box!!

I'd buy 2 of them and I don't even collect LPs anymore!

Edited by mikeslps

• 3 weeks later...

somebody paid over 500 for a OJC reissue of Sound of Sonny. I guess they just couldn't resist the buy it now price!

I guess they couldn't resist that white label, similar to early Riverside, some OJC have. It makes those "Sound of Sonny" looks like the real deal, especially with a blurred Ebay picture... please add the typical Ebay "more money than brain (and eyes, and knowledge)" behaviour, and you have an explanation of those 500 $. :rolleyes:

somebody paid over 500 for a OJC reissue of Sound of Sonny. I guess they just couldn't resist the buy it now price!

I guess they couldn't resist that white label, similar to early Riverside, some OJC have. It makes those "Sound of Sonny" looks like the real deal, especially with a blurred Ebay picture... please add the typical Ebay "more money than brain (and eyes, and knowledge)" behaviour, and you have an explanation of those 500 $. :rolleyes:

Try $599, not $500:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sound-Of-SONNY-ROLLINS...bayphotohosting

Edited by eeegor

Try $599, not $500:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sound-Of-SONNY-ROLLINS...bayphotohosting

I have seen this ebay listing many times...is it a sincere mistake ? or a very bad scam ? other reissues are lsited in the price range ... anyway, nobody "bought it now".

• 2 weeks later...