slide_advantage_redoux

ebay madness re: vinyl

1,164 posts in this topic

On 2/8/2022 at 11:32 AM, Ken Dryden said:

This wasn't on ebay, but offered in AudioPhile USA's email newsletter. I am surprised anyone would pay $45 for this LP, as it was rather common and on top of that, the music needed speed correction.

xF0661FC9-B22A-0832-505549AEB65B8011.jpg

I saw that in the newsletter. I rarely find anything interesting in it and by the time I do it’s sold. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Usually I own most anything of interest in Audiophile's newsletter. I rarely want to pay $50 for a vintage used LP, or half-speed master reissue, I prefer CDs as they generally sound better and take up a lot less space.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not eBay, obviously, but at a local record store yesterday. DMM Lee Morgan - Search For The New Land, $75 plus tax = $80.25. Do you think someone will bite? Lee is sceptical.

nBjib6sDQoetFl6XOnUMpg 764Du8J3S9imQPXMrDFr+g

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stores are, I guess, sticking their old DMMs in the rack to cash in on the Tone Poet madness/demand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nuts. DMMs used to be a tenner a pop (because, we were told, they all sound terrible. hmm.) now seem to be £20+

I guess Search For The New Land is a less common title (at least it is over here) ...but $75?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, paulfromcamden said:

Nuts. DMMs used to be a tenner a pop (because, we were told, they all sound terrible. hmm.) now seem to be £20+

I guess Search For The New Land is a less common title (at least it is over here) ...but $75?!

Something seems to have happened to the vinyl market during the last two years. Prices have skyrocketed. This is the price statistics for the US DMM pressing of Search for the New Land (completed sales at Discogs since 2020). 

_20220220_141006.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Note the remnants of the STRAWBERRIES RECORDS sales tag/label on that Morgan. Strawberries was a chain of record stores in New England, owned by Morris Levy, the gangster who also owned the Roulette Records. After his famous televised apprehension, the company was sold several times, until it ceased to be in the late 2000s. I managed to shop there a couple of times when I moved here. Although they had virtually no LPs at that time, they did have an unpredictable used cd section, which sometimes produced a gem. At the very end I was one of maybe two or three customers in a 10,000 sf store. Then it became FYE Music, then that also died, and is now a Tall and Big Male clothing store, or something else.
Now, returning to the previous post, the owner of the store where I snapped this photo, got a hold of a bunch of sealed Fantasy/OJC vinyl,  still  with Strawberry tags. He priced them from $20 up, most in the $30 range. Those OJC records have really appreciated over time. I would routinely see, and buy them for $5. 

7 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Something seems to have happened to the vinyl market during the last two years. Prices have skyrocketed. This is the price statistics for the US DMM pressing of Search for the New Land (completed sales at Discogs since 2020). 

_20220220_141006.JPG

Madness....who is buying these?! Do you know anyone?

Edited by Dmitry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You couldn't pay me to take any DMM LP over the CD of that title. I was never impressed by the sound quality of that cutting system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sell 

1 hour ago, Dmitry said:

Madness....who is buying these?! Do you know anyone?

I have avoided them for 20 years because of their dull sound and only have a couple left in my collection. But the market has spiraled out of control. I suppose there are people desperate for vinyl but who can no longer afford other pressings. Kings and sometimes even Toshibas sell for more than $100 these days.

There is an element of suspense in relation to internet auctions and also "hunting" in sites like Discogs that seem to feed the same type of unhealthy behavior with some people as gambling does. Enough people seem ready to overspend, maybe as they don't "feel" the expense in the same as if they have to pay upfront in a physical store, that prices overall become inflated. An internet vinyl bubble? 

Last week I scored a King pressing of "Out to Lunch" for $25 on eBay. Seemed like a good price to me. Other times, it will go for twice the amount. So the market is really unstable these days. 

Edited by Daniel A

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

I have avoided them for 20 years because of their dull sound and only have a couple left in my collection. But the market has spiraled out of control. I suppose there are people desperate for vinyl but who can no longer afford other pressings. Kings and sometimes even Toshibas sell for more than $100 these days.

I think this is it.

Lots of new customers entering the market with a limited knowledge alongside shops and sellers happy to exploit the situation.  A DMM to a new LP collector in their early 30s was released before they were born and may well have that 'vintage' cachet.  

It's easy enough to sneer (not suggesting you are at all Daniel A) but we were all new to this once. My first BNs were DMMs because they had just been released and as far as I knew at the time that was Blue Note records. Still got a few, still play them too. But I'll not be paying upwards of £50 for any although I may sell them at that price :)

Edited by mjazzg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I's easy enough to sneer (not suggesting you are at all Daniel A) but we were all new to this once. My first BNs were DMMs because they had just been released and as far as I knew at the time that was Blue Note records. Still got a few, still play them too. But I'll not be paying upwards of £50 for any although I met sell them at that price :)

Perfectly understood. :)

Through the years I have shifted from just trying to get hold of the music ("it's all about the music") to allowing myself the luxury of getting more "desirable" pressings and so on. Unfortunately, when I have now reached the point in life when I can indulge in such behavior, it is becoming too expensive again. Vinyl prices have definitely increased more than my disposable income.

This is maybe the case of wanting to re-live those moments when I discovered the music for the first time. Getting that King or Liberty Blue Note is like finding that rare music in whatever format (CD or DMM LP) in the 90s. Unfortunately, too many wealthy middleaged guys(?) are in the same place. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And just think, it's only going to get worse as a proportion of those currently happy with a DMM purchase will learn more about King, Toshiba and even Liberty pressings and enter that market too, we're doomed :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Daniel A said:

There is an element of suspense in relation to internet auctions and also "hunting" in sites like Discogs that seem to feed the same type of unhealthy behavior with some people as gambling does.

I think you're right. Luckily I get the same thrill from seeing what I can snag for a couple of quid. While everyone else at the record fair is looking at the trophy records on the wall I'm afraid I head straight for the box under the table... ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.