ebay madness re: vinyl

50 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

many, and for as long as I can remember...

Really? Wasn’t aware of it. Are people actually creating a false copy or are they trying to make different pressing look like an original? 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both. Counterfeits have been a thing for decades, although they're easier to document now. Alterations have also been made to later reissues and sometimes these are passed off as originals to undiscerning buyers.

And I'm positive some fake hand-colored/hand-painted Sun Ras have been going around... in other words, stock older Ra LPs decorated recently by record sellers.

It's interesting how these prices fluctuate. Comics are on a corrective path after some inflationary nonsense during/immediately after COVID quarantines. Maybe these values have shifted a bit toward records, but even with that high priced Blue Train, LPs for the most part are still a fraction of what comics are/we're going for. 

1 hour ago, Dub Modal said:

It's interesting how these prices fluctuate. Comics are on a corrective path after some inflationary nonsense during/immediately after COVID quarantines. Maybe these values have shifted a bit toward records, but even with that high priced Blue Train, LPs for the most part are still a fraction of what comics are/we're going for. 

My son started collecting graded Pokémon cards during the pandemic but lost interest and now he’s selling them, mostly at a loss. 

On 3/8/2024 at 2:45 PM, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I don't know why anyone would pay that kind of money. The music is available on LP and CD in great sound - probably better sounding than an original pressing too.

Originals have been collectible for a long time, but $10K is an obscene and stupid amount of money for a record that has been re-pressed numerous times, even as a vintage mono edition. I've certainly dropped coin on used records before but can't imagine going that crazy!

On 3/8/2024 at 6:51 PM, gmonahan said:

Hmmm. Wonder what they'd pay for all my Buddy Bolden cylinders........

and those Earl Hines early 40s airchecks with Bird and Diz....

Individual sellers seem to get left out in the cold when it comes to online auctions. Shops that buy collections don't/won't pay top dollar but can turn around and potentially get good money via eBay, taking on all the risk that an average individual wouldn't want to deal with. I'm sure there are some success stories out there with records and other collectibles but it appears all the big dollar items go back to stores/businesses. 

37 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Print a counterfeit with no music, just a blank groove, sell it for Stoopid big bux, and then see how long it takes for the buyer to play the record to find out there's nothing there. 

In the stratospheric price range (e.g. $10,000) I doubt the records ever get played, because doing so would diminish resale value. So I betcha that'd work!

Just watched the Netflix doc The Pez Outlaw, which touches on collecting and flipping rare pieces for profit. I recommend that movie, especially from the angle of artificial scarcity and value. Reminded me a bit of the MMJ reissues vs the new Blue Note reissue programs. 

hey porcy62, been a while. On one level I agree with you (and am absolutely fine with my Japanese mono pressing of this album), but on another level a mass-produced item, even if comparatively few untarnished examples survive, is still mass-produced. It's not like the one-of-a-kind stage drawings I worked with as an archivist.