J.R.MONTEROSE - Straight Ahead CD on DIW

Dmitry

A simple net search netted that 'Straight Ahead' was originally released in 1959 as the 'The Message' on JARO Records, produced by Manny Albam, and later re-released on Xanadu, some time in the mid-1970s-early 1980s.

Jaro Records discography.

http://www.bsnpubs.com/nyc/toprank/toprank.html

The music on the DIW cd is clearly a transfer from a mono LP. I see that there are at least three incarnations of this date on cd. Does anyone have the non-DIW version? Is it also an lp dub?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Fresh Sound CD and one thing I can say for certain is that it is in stereo.

I don't hear any LP artifacts but I guess that doesn't mean that it isn't a needledrop - they can work wonders nowadays can't they.

I would say the sound is perfectly acceptable without being great, there is some distortion at times.

I have the Fresh Sound CD and one thing I can say for certain is that it is in stereo.

I don't hear any LP artifacts but I guess that doesn't mean that it isn't a needledrop - they can work wonders nowadays can't they.

I would say the sound is perfectly acceptable without being great, there is some distortion at times.

The Gambit 2CD set?

Or was there a single Fresh Sound disc of this one?

Here is the JARO LP Cover

monteroseJaro.jpg

I just listened to the Fresh Sound CD again all the way through. I do not hear any LP clicks and pops but there is a little distortion on the tenor at times. It could well be an LP that has been through some processing. I don't think I am sufficiently knowledgable to say for certain that this is or is not a needledrop. Definitely stereo though.

Has anyone heard the Gambit?

I have the Prevue CD version (PR4- released 1998)

Cover is the same as above

Prevue "A Division of Classic Records" (© 1998) under licence from Xanadu Records Ltd (1959, 1975)

I'm quite sure this is a legit release - certainly doesn't sound like a needle drop

Edited by romualdo

Surprised that the DIW release is an LP dub. I thought they were a legit operation.

I have the Ayler DIW CD The First Recordings, Vol 2 - this is an awful needle drop job & the LP it's been transferred from is littered with pops/cracks etc. Was disappointed when I got this one!!

Edited by romualdo

Thanks for your input. Looks like I'll have to buy the Fresh Sound cd. Surprised that the DIW release is an LP dub. I thought they were a legit operation. I wonder how this Jaro LP ended up in the Xanadu catalog, and where are the master tapes now.

That Gambit 2 CD set looks very interesting as an alternative to the Fresh Sound single CD (already have the Blue Note LP)

Absolute Distribution

I would love to know what the sound is like.

I have a memory of an interview with J.R. Monterose (possibly in Cadence) where he said that Don Schlitten did the Xanadu issue by dubbing it from an LP. A person I knew years ago in the Albany area who had some contact with Mr. Monterose said that he was unhappy that Schlitten had issued it, and tried to sue over the fact that his photograph was on the cover of the LP. This last is hearsay, so I don't know if it's so.

They are theoretically legit in Europe because of the 50 year rule (but not legit in the US).

However the labels distributed by Absolute Distribution do seem to issue some stuff less than 50 years old.

For example I bought the Monterose Fresh Sound CD long before the session was 50 years old.

Of course there are lots of people on this board who won't touch them under any circumstances but sometimes they are the only way of obtaining certain titles.

Edited by Steve Gray

Prevue "A Division of Classic Records" (© 1998) under licence from Xanadu Records Ltd (1959, 1975)

I'm quite sure this is a legit release - certainly doesn't sound like a needle drop

Ah, crap - that one I have of course!

Not Xanadu but Prevue!

I keep mixing up all these labels, sorry.

The Prevue reissue is indeed legit. They licensed several Xanadu titles.

If, according to Paul, the Xanadu LP was dubbed from the Jaro LP, it makes no sense buying the Xanadu LP to improve the sonics of my DIW cd [i was gearing up to buy the Japanese Xanadu LP]. I wonder if the Fresh Sounds cd was dubbed from an LP as well...

Can someone with the Prevue CD please comment on the sound.

Does it sound like a needledrop? Is it stereo or mono?