Recommendations sought: earbuds

GA Russell

I like my Etymotic ER-4, they are neutral in mid and upper range, though bass is weak without a tight seal. So I am getting custom plugs made, and we'll see. Bass is really quite good with Etymotic's fat yellow XXL sponge tips, but those look SO ridiculous and become a big soiled mess in no time.

I also like my cheap Audio Technica buds with a benign noise cancellation circuit (Quietpoint ANC3), these are my subway/flying buds. They sound just fine with the NC too. I think I paid $75 for these.

If you will be in motion, I recommend avoiding buds that seal off external noise. The problem is that the movement of the cord translates to annoying background noise with that style of bud. I exercise with Bose Tri-ports - they are over the ear, but light as a feather and produce a sound that is appropriately good for MP3s.

I broke down and ordered these - thinksound ts02

Curious to know your impression about these. I almost bought them last year when I was in the market for new earbuds.

Sure. Even though they're smaller, they apparently have newer technology (than the older Rain and ts01's) yet still sound nice. We'll see.

It's really difficult to buy something like this because there's really no way to try them out before buying. So you have to rely on reviews and word of mouth.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had the Thinksounds for a while now but only used them a couple of times. I realize that I'm not used to earbuds - especially noise restricting ones - and it's a weird sensation to walk around with them. So for now I still don't use them during my daily commute. I think they'll be fine for my upcoming vacation, though.

Are there any earbuds that are softer? I like to watch TV in bed with earbuds and sometimes I lie on my side putting pressure on one or the other ear. After a while this becomes uncomfortable with the hardness of the earbuds.

Any good solutions for this?

• 3 years later...