Feb. 9, 1964

GA Russell

Today is the 47th anniversary of The Beatles on Ed Sullivan! I remember it well, as I guess everyone else old enough does.

A couple of days later, Sarah Palin was born. I felt in 2008 that the press did not sufficiently discuss the youth of Barack Obama and Sarah Palin. At the time, I told my friends that my Meet The Beatles album is older than Sarah Palin!

Today is the 47th anniversary of The Beatles on Ed Sullivan! I remember it well, as I guess everyone else old enough does.

A couple of days later, Sarah Palin was born. I felt in 2008 that the press did not sufficiently discuss the youth of Barack Obama and Sarah Palin. At the time, I told my friends that my Meet The Beatles album is older than Sarah Palin!

For Christmas, I got my wife the Beatles on Ed Sullivan DVD. It's four complete shows, including the original commercials that aired. It's fascinating to see the Beatles within the context of that period, something that has been lost, in part to the group's own conservative and humorless marketing of the Beatles' brand.

I remember it very well! I specifically remember my father commenting that the crazy teenage girls couldn't possibly hear anything because they were screaming so loudly. I also remember thinking--at the ripe old age of 7--that their hair was way too long, and wondering why somebody hadn't cut it:

029133-the-beatles-and-ed-sullivan-19641.jpg

Edited by Ron S

No, it happened in 1964, when The Beatles played the Sullivan show. It changed my life, literally, right then and there. I realized almost immediately that what I had known as "is" and what could be "is" were not the same thing, not now. To what extent, I couldn't even begin to have a clue, but the door had been opened, and there lay the road.

Stuff that gets inside your head like that when you're 8 tends to be remembered.

My apologies to GA Russell for temporarily derailing this thread.

Yes, maybe that type of iconic moment doesn't happen anymore, or at least on any large scale like it did in 1964.

I certainly don't understand it (I was born in 1966), and I'm sure I never will.

But, my point is that moments like that still happen, still get inside heads, and are still remembered... maybe a much more splintered experience overall, but that door still opens.

At least I hope it does. My 17-old daughter gives me reason to believe that's still true.

If it doesn't, we're all screwed.

How's that for hyperbole? :);)

its also the 30 year anniversary of the release date of FACE VALUE.....

chewy, do you like Phil Collins?

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

My apologies to GA Russell for temporarily derailing this thread.

Yes, maybe that type of iconic moment doesn't happen anymore, or at least on any large scale like it did in 1964.

I certainly don't understand it (I was born in 1966), and I'm sure I never will.

But, my point is that moments like that still happen, still get inside heads, and are still remembered... maybe a much more splintered experience overall, but that door still opens.

At least I hope it does. My 17-old daughter gives me reason to believe that's still true.

If it doesn't, we're all screwed.

How's that for hyperbole? :);)

I don't understand what your point is. Moments like that can still happen for individuals (which is all I was talking about, my experience). And yeah, if they are unable to happen at all, then we are all screwed. When imagination can no longer be ignited, the spirit is not in a good place.

So where's the hyperbole, and what's the argument? I really don't get it.