Gene Ammons

Bright Moments

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, JSngry said:

Sounds like the tape has degraded a fair amount, but even at that, this is the group that some of us have long lusted to hear a recording of! Who's the drummer?

from lineups I've seen elsewhere plus what seems to be written there I would guess it's Ajaramu (aka Joe Shelton aka Gerald Donovan)

• 5 years later...
1 hour ago, Late said:

I was listening to that album when I made my post above. 👍 That one would be close for me, but it feels like I'm not remembering another title...

Well, the one that gets the most attention is Boss Tenor from 1960 with Tommy Flanagan, Doug Watkins, Art Taylor and Ray Barretto. It's GREAT -- in some ways greater than Jug. If I could take two Ammons records to the desert island, it would be those two. But the version of "Exactly Like You" on Jug tips the balance for me. YMMV. I will say that I think the real sweet spot in the discography is between 1960-62. There's obviously fantastic stuff before and after, and I have and love it all; but Jug is superman in that particular window.

Edited by Mark Stryker

It is really hard to choose just one Jug album.  But I would have a hard time parting with the early recordings he made for Chess.  For certain moods, nothing can beat those low key Moodsville albums (Nice an' Cool, The Soulful Mood).  Just even the way Jug plays the melodies of some of those ballads is soooooo satisfying.  

• 1 month later...
40 minutes ago, Late said:

Who does Ammons come out of? Or, to put it another way, who would you point to as Ammons' influence(s)? I'm not exactly hearing anything springing from the Young/Hawkins binary. 

It's a good question. I've always thought of him as belonging to the Prez family tree. But then there's the Walter Dyett factor. Von Freeman, Cliff Jordan, John Gilmore, Johnny Griffin... he tutored a lot of unique tenor players.

Edited by Joe

12 hours ago, Joe said:

But then there's the Walter Dyett factor.

Yes, agreed—I wasn't thinking along those lines. The term should probably be capitalized as a phenomena unto itself: The Walter Dyett Factor. (Sounds like an early 60's cold war film.)

Dyett on Wikipedia. Check that list of who studied with him—wow. Besides tenor players, the list of bassists is also impressive.

58 minutes ago, Late said:

Yes, agreed—I wasn't thinking along those lines. The term should probably be capitalized as a phenomena unto itself: The Walter Dyett Factor. (Sounds like an early 60's cold war film.)

Dyett on Wikipedia. Check that list of who studied with him—wow. Besides tenor players, the list of bassists is also impressive.

One cannot overstate the incredible influence Black high school music teachers and bandleaders have had on the evolution of American music. Dyett in Chicago, Samual R. Browne in LA, G.A. Baxter at I.M. Terrell in Ft. Worth... And was it Harry Begian at Cass Tech?

https://ethaniverson.com/black-music-teachers-in-the-era-of-segregation/