The ART thread

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, his work may not be the easiest to take...but it's real. I have been a fan of his work since I saw the first Alien movie when I was about 10 years old. Some of his work disgusts me as well, but there is also a lot of beauty to it. Of course I tend to lean towards "darker" art anyway, don't know why, just the way I'm wired I guess.

Something sexy about that one!  :w

Funny you should say that. Cook's reputation is based in large part on his infatuation with skyscrapers. He happened to be living in NYC when the Chrysler Building and the Empire State Building were going up, and he was inspired, as were, of course, many other artists. Here's Cook's most famous wood engraving.

Edited by Brownian Motion

Gordon Grant was a famous artist of ships and waterside communities. This is Main Street Gloucester in 1937, a lithograph. It was no big deal the year it was drawn, but it has aged well. It puts me in mind of Picasso's famous response to Gertrude Stein. Picasso had drawn Stein's portrait, and she had complained that it didn't look like her. "It will", Picasso assured her.

Yes, he did. He also produced a work called "The City".

An American named Lynd Ward went to Germany to study art in the late 1920s and was introduced to Masreel's work. Ward went on to produce, between 1929 and 1937, four full length woodcut novels as well as a pair of shorter works--woodcut novellas I suppose. Here is a sample of Ward's work from 1937's "Vertigo", his last and IMO his greatest woodcut novel.

Yes, he did. He also produced a work called "The City".

An American named Lynd Ward went to Germany to study art in the late 1920s and was introduced to Masreel's work. Ward went on to produce, between 1929 and 1937, four full length woodcut novels as well as a pair of shorter works--woodcut novellas I suppose. Here is a sample of Ward's work from 1937's  "Vertigo", his last and IMO his greatest woodcut novel.

Very nice. :tup

BTW, is this the same Lynd Ward who did "The Biggest Bear," and "The Silver Pony" (not to mention "God's Man")?

Edited by BruceH