The ART thread

Thought I would class up the joint! :P

Bazille, Frédéric (1841-70). French painter, one of the early Impressionist group.

As a student in Gleyre's studio in Paris (1862) he befriended Monet, Renoir, and Sisley, with whom he painted out of doors at Fontainebleau and in Normandy. He was, however, primarily a figure painter rather than a landscapist, his best-known work being the large Family Reunion (Musée d'Orsay, Paris, 1867-68).

Bazille was killed in action during the Franco-Prussian War, cutting short a promising career. He came from a wealthy family and had given generous financial support to Monet and Renoir.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a great painting Evan. Can you identify all of the artists and paintings in the room?

That painting 'L'Atelier de la Rue de la Condamine' is on display at the Musee d'Orsay in Paris. Among the friends of Bazille shown in the paiting are writer Emile Zola (up the stairs), Bazille shows one of his painting to Edouard Manet and (probably Claude Monet). Auguste Renoir sits on the table under the stairs and Edmond Maitre tinkles the piano.

Jacman, you posted a great painting but note that this Art Brut (Raw Art) not Art Brute (Brute Art).

Always happy to see more class enliven theis joint!

Lon,

Absolutely, Art is in the eye of the beholder (I just made that up ;) )! I have befriended an artist named Gene Dietch, who drew the covers and inside cartoons for a jazz magazine in the 40's/50's called "The Record Collector". He is now a resident of Prague, in the Czech Republic. He drew an original cartoon for me, using the character he drew in the 40's, called "The Cat". It shows the "Cat" photographing a jazz musician, face to face. If I can figure how to post it, I would use it for my avitar (can someone do this for me???) Gene also drew many of the famous cartoons we watched as kids (Tom Terrific, Popeye and many others), while working for a state owned animation studio in Prague; facinating guy!

Mark

Ah, "The Cat"--I love that little guy; I know him most from the illustration they use in the "This is Jazz" series of sets on Jazzology: The Cat is waiting outside the maternity ward an expectant father and looks at his watch and shouts out "YIKES! I'm about to miss THIS IS JAZZ!"

I'm pretty sure that if you scanned that illustration into your computer and say put it on your desktop you could then upload the image to Organissimo to use as your avatar. . . .