A Well-Loved Collection From a Voice of Chicago

I realized this was a jazz town when I stepped into the lobby of my hotel and heard a tenor sax (Stan Getz?) playing on the sound system in the background and then, a few minutes later, when I entered a coffee shop down the block and was treated to a piano (Erroll Garner?). (My metrocentric pride was wounded as I admitted to myself that, in equivalent spaces in New York, we'd probably be subjected to Muzak.)

If Chicagoans love jazz, it probably has a lot to do with Dick Buckley, who for more than 50 years was the voice of jazz on Chicago radio. "There were other guys on the air, like Daddy-O Daylie and Sid McCoy," said Neil Tesser, a veteran music journalist and broadcaster who worked with Buckley at WBEZ for 16 years. "But none of them had Dick's endurance, and none was as widely loved as Dick."

Continued here:

WSJ

...was a fan of Buckley's. Your last sentence sounds like it could come from a porm film promo....couldn't resist.

m~

I realized this was a jazz town when I stepped into the lobby of my hotel and heard a tenor sax (Stan Getz?) playing on the sound system in the background and then, a few minutes later, when I entered a coffee shop down the block and was treated to a piano (Erroll Garner?). (My metrocentric pride was wounded as I admitted to myself that, in equivalent spaces in New York, we'd probably be subjected to Muzak.)

If Chicagoans love jazz, it probably has a lot to do with Dick Buckley, who for more than 50 years was the voice of jazz on Chicago radio. "There were other guys on the air, like Daddy-O Daylie and Sid McCoy," said Neil Tesser, a veteran music journalist and broadcaster who worked with Buckley at WBEZ for 16 years. "But none of them had Dick's endurance, and none was as widely loved as Dick."

Continued here:

WSJ