Jutta Hipp died on Monday, April 7

J.A.W.

That's really sad... :(

P.S. I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Damn, I hate Wingy! (see this thread at AAJ)

Scott, I consider Dannny D to be a friend, but I agree that his remark re Jutta Hipp on AAJ is uncallled-for.

I was never a fan of Ms. Hipp, whom I heard at the Hickory House when I first came to New York, but it is terribly sad that she passed away and that none of us knew that she needed financial help. At least it came as news to me.

Weizen:

I just found a Toshiba EMI TOJJ-5056(1999-2001)10" LP reissue of Jutta Hipp New Faces-New Sounds From Germany Blue Note BLP-5056(1955) on eBay.

Jutta Hipp eBay auction

You do vinyl, right?

Chrisiern:

Uncalled for? That's all he makes is uncalled for remarks.

Is he a "formerly" nice person, who is now going on a downward spiral? Because he is probably alienating everyone in his life. Any knowledge or skillful musicianship he possesses is being quickly dissipated by his ongoing behavior and attitudes...and consumption...

IMHO...

First, let me say I was sorry to hear about the demise of Jutta Hipp.

Second, I don't know why everyone lets themselves get so worked up over Deep. If you don't like what he has to say, use the ignore function.

Personally, I find him entertaining. If you can get by the bold and crude statements, there is a lot of knowledge to be mined from his posts.

Was his post about Ms. Hipp in poor taste?

Absolutely, but it cracked me up. But I have been known to have a 'sick' sense of humor. If you don't like it, again, just use the ignore function...

Does everything connected with Blue Note have to be sacred? :rolleyes:

let me start by saying i've only ventured to the aaj site a few times in the last month or so...

saw the jutta hipp death notice here and decided to go to aaj to see if there was anything else on the topic. i saw deep's remarks and gave him a little dig back in good fun. he flung a pretty funny zinger back and i forgot about it and went about my way.

when i logged backed to aaj just now, i noticed the whole thing had been deleted! what a load of censorship over there. now i know why i don't head that way more often. i didn't think deep's comments were very sensitive, but who cares! that's what freedom's all about. the idea of not being able to say something bad about a jazz personality living or not....that's the whole point of these boards imho.

well, all i have to say is long live organissimo.... :D

Well, I missed the whole thing. I understand if nobody wants to quote Wingy verbatim, but what was the spirit (which I can more or less imagine anyway) of his remark on Jutta?

It was something like "good thing she willed her body to Columbia University...now the scientists can find out how one person was so unswinging."

Noj has it right. Whatever you think of the lady's playing (I think she swung well enough, though she was no Wynton Kelly), there's no need to spit on people's graves right after they pass.

Daniel - Basically he made a joke (albeit a sick one) that, because Jutta was donating her body to be used for research purposes (I think), the scientists could look into how a body such as hers was so unable to swing. Please, anybody correct me if I'm wrong.

BTW, on the subject of DEEP, I agree with the poster who said there is some profound thoughts/ideas in his comments once you get beyond the initial shock of his bluntness.

Still, I find myself checking in here more often.

Well the Jutta thread is back at AAJ, though it looks to have been edited a bit.

Oddly, DEEP has completely changed his mind about Ms. Hipp's talents. ;)

Seriously, though, obscure or well-known, Blue Note artist or otherwise, it's always sad to hear about a jazz musician's passing...

I think i'll spin the Hickory House discs tonight...

Ray

Weizen:

I just found a Toshiba EMI TOJJ-5056(1999-2001)10" LP reissue of Jutta Hipp New Faces-New Sounds From Germany Blue Note BLP-5056(1955) on eBay.

Jutta Hipp eBay auction

You do vinyl, right?

Thanks for the heads up on that Scott. I was fortunate to have found a 10" copy awhile back but hopefully someone else will see your post and move on this one. It doesn't come around all that often and it's a wonderful piece-o-vinyl ! Cheers.

Prompted as much by DEEP's remarks as Jutta's death I thought I'd give her a spin. There's not too much to complain about her playing on the "With Zoot Sims" album, it is not particularly original but pleasant and workmanlike imo. I also tried a German recording from '54. Her playing here is rythmically rather stiff, something akin to Dave Brubeck of the period. I'll have to try to find the time to play the "Hickory House" records again.

Edited by JohnS

The New York Times has a Jutta Hipp obituary in their edition

today.

Jutta Hipp, Jazz Pianist With a Percussive Style, Dies at 78

By BEN RATLIFF

Jutta Hipp, a jazz pianist from Germany who had a short, celebrated career

in the 1950's playing in New York nightclubs and making records for the Blue Note

label, then turned her back on jazz to become a dressmaker, died on Monday

at her home in Queens. She was 78.

The cause has not been determined, said Tom Evered, general manager of

Blue Note Records.

Ms. Hipp (whose first name was pronounced YOU-ta) left Europe for the United

States in 1955. As a young adult, she studied at the Leipzig Academy of Graphic

Arts in East Germany, but crossed over to West Germany in 1946 after the

Russians moved in to occupy Leipzig.

In an interview with Whitney Balliett of The New Yorker, she said that she

had been excited about the initial postwar occupation of Leipzig by American

forces. "We were very happy at their coming and brought out all our jazz records

to play for them," she said. "No response. We were terribly hurt until we discovered

what was wrong, which was that those G.I.'s didn't like jazz; they

liked hillbilly music." She did not get along much better with the Russians,

who wanted to put her design skills to work on propaganda posters.

Ms. Hipp had been playing piano since she was 9, and in West Germany she

played in a circus and eventually at nightclubs.

In Munich she started her own small group, and around 1951 a friend sent a

tape to the American jazz critic and record producer Leonard Feather. Feather

found her in Germany in 1954 and arranged a visa for her to work in the United States.

Once she was in New York, he booked her at the Hickory House jazz club.

She started playing at the Hickory House in March 1956 and stayed there

for six months. Through Feather's agency, three records appeared in quick

succession on Blue Note: "Jutta Hipp With Zoot Sims" and two volumes of

"Jutta Hipp at the Hickory House," with a trio including the bassist Peter Ind

and the drummer Ed Thigpen. She appeared at the Newport Jazz Festival in