Jutta Hipp died on Monday, April 7

J.A.W.

Her playing here is rythmically rather stiff, something akin to Dave Brubeck of the period.

I haven't heard these early Hipp recordings, they are hard to find, even here in Germany, but I know Brubeck's early stuff very well and know he just tried something ryhthmically different than just swing in a conventional jazz sense. I appreciate his ideas wery much, have tried similar things and sometimes received criticsim from people - listeners or fellow musicians - who could not follow the idea that rhythmic phrasing was subject to improvisation just as melody or harmony are.

• 4 weeks later...

Jutta's obit in one of the Uk papers included the following

When Art Blakey asked her to sit in with his band at New York's Cafe Bohemia, she refused saying she was drunk and anyway did not think she was good enough. Blakey dragged her to the piano, and started playing a tempo which she could not handle. Blakey then addressed the audience; "Now you see why we don't want these Europeans coming over here and taking our jobs"