Free music scores on the net

brownie

Had some mixed feelings about this as a read the article, but then when I browsed the free library - I've gotta come down on their side on this.

They appear to have a LOT of stuff that's commercially out of print (a significant number of works by late 19th century New England composer Arthur Foote for instance, a personal favorite of mine -- and I happen to know the his papers and scores are held at Williams College, where they'll make copies of anything that isn't currently in print for just the cost of photocopies, and send them to you clear across the country -- as my wife did for music for our wedding 10 years ago).

Another even more obscure favorite is also in this free library too, including just about my all-time favorite cell sonata, by Julius Röntgen, a Dutch composer who was a friend of Grieg's.

That said, they shouldn't house works still under copyright (or copies of modern editions under copyright), and let the chips fall where they may for the publishers.

Edited by Rooster_Ties