Kenny Burrell backstage at Yoshi's

EyeSpeech

Here's a couple shots I snapped of Kenny Burrell signing some of my CD booklets backstage at Yoshi's. Great set when I saw him perform there a few months ago. His musicianship is matched by his personality. Really sweet guy. He signed my booklets for Introducing, Midnight Blue and Blue Lights and seemed shocked that I was bringing him these things to sign. Note the nice Gibson axe on the table behind him.

2dwceid.jpg

2wntmwz.jpg

It's difficult to get backstage at Yoshi's Oakland. In fact this was the only time I was successful. I did get lucky and met Stanley Turrentine smoking a cigarette out behind Yoshi's...that was miraculous. I got to tell him how much his music meant to me. He signed several of my CD booklets. That was less than two weeks before he died. :(

I don't understand the appeal of autographs (especially multiple CD booklets), but I do understand the appeal of photographs. Thanks for sharing these.

When I pull a disc off the shelf that has an autograph, it gives me a memory jolt of watching the artist perform and meeting him. This puts me in a slightly elevated state to hear his music. For example, until I saw Bobby Hutcherson live, I had no clue how much humor and energy he put into his playing. Of course each musician has physical idiosyncrasies, affectations or traits that relate to their music. I don't "get it" without seeing them perform. I believe it's important to listen in that context, and the autograph can help me get there.

Also, I believe there is value in meeting an artist after listening to his recordings for most of my life, and telling him face to face that his music means a lot to me. Even though they hear the applause, I think it's nice for some artists to see that they've had an impact on a fan.

I don't understand the appeal of autographs (especially multiple CD booklets), but I do understand the appeal of photographs. Thanks for sharing these.

When I pull a disc off the shelf that has an autograph, it gives me a memory jolt of watching the artist perform and meeting him. This puts me in a slightly elevated state to hear his music. For example, until I saw Bobby Hutcherson live, I had no clue how much humor and energy he put into his playing. Of course each musician has physical idiosyncrasies, affectations or traits that relate to their music. I don't "get it" without seeing them perform. I believe it's important to listen in that context, and the autograph can help me get there.

To each their own, I guess. But for the convenience of the artist, couldn't you just ask for one autograph, and pull that one out whenever you're going to listen to a CD by that artist? I could see some artists being put off by being asked for multiple autographs- even if they politely oblige.

Also, I believe there is value in meeting an artist after listening to his recordings for most of my life, and telling him face to face that his music means a lot to me. Even though they hear the applause, I think it's nice for some artists to see that they've had an impact on a fan.

This I completely understand, and I've had a few of these experiences.

I know what you mean, Jim.

Here's couple of my photos from '76 or '77:

421611992_4e6aa4bbbe_z.jpg

487234687_aa75fdd3a2_z.jpg

Nicely done, Marcello. Thank you for sharing these.

To each their own, I guess. But for the convenience of the artist, couldn't you just ask for one autograph, and pull that one out whenever you're going to listen to a CD by that artist? I could see some artists being put off by being asked for multiple autographs- even if they politely oblige.

It takes just a moment for each signature and the artist is usually happy to do it, to see which of his albums I brought in and have a chat with me too. I'm not pushy about it--if it happens, great. If not, I completely understand. But like I said, I do derive some value from seeing these autographs and the memories they give me as I load a disc in my player.

It takes just a moment for each signature and the artist is usually happy to do it, to see which of his albums I brought in and have a chat with me too. I'm not pushy about it--if it happens, great. If not, I completely understand. But like I said, I do derive some value from seeing these autographs and the memories they give me as I load a disc in my player.

A gracious person will oblige you, even if they're thinking to themselves: "Why is this guy asking me for three autographs?". That's all I'm saying. Wouldn't one autograph- stored wherever you find it convenient- suffice? Just curious. I'll get off your back now. ;)

No worries...I didn't explain my reasons fully. Years can go by. Then I will decide to pull Blue Lights off the shelf. If the autograph is on Midnight Blue, I wouldn't see it and wouldn't be reminded of the show or of meeting KB. So that's my reason I want all those titles signed. As for the artist, you're right he may think to himself "why can't I just sign one and be done with it?" But more likely he's thinking, "cool, this guy is a fan who took the time and spent the bucks to listen to my music, drove out here tonight to see my show. I'm happy to sign a few things." At least that's the vibe I get when I'm able to meet the artist.

Whenever I go see Pat Metheny live he's always happy to meet with his fans. Even as tired as he might be he's very happy to chat with fans that have followed his thing for years and his memory is incredible. When I look at the stuff he's signed it brings me right back to that tour or show I saw. His management was trying to get him to leave when he was talking to everyone backstage after Orchestrion in Binghamton.

• 2 weeks later...