ALLMUSIC.COM

.:.impossible

Every so often, as I peruse the many volumes of allmusic.com, I will come across some very strange recommendations in the similar/related albums section. I'm not sure what sort of algorhythm determines similar/related albums, but it must be something like the BCS.

Here's one. I was looking at Erik Satie .:. Piano Works, Vol. 1 "First and Last Works" / Piano Works, Vol. 2 "Mystical Works" / Pia. Among the recommedations, all of them a little far fetched, I see David Coverdale .:. Whitesnake/Northwinds.

THE David Coverdale???

Post your finds heya.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, AMG is out to lunch most of the time... quite a few musicians get the shaft or aren't even mentioned. And I also like their attempts to draw connections between musicians, such as Steve Lacy being a "follower" of Evan Parker (at least this one was up at some point). I do like Eugene Chadbourne's reviews, though...

is Thom Jurek paid to gush in every review? :rolleyes: He seems to marvel at anything he hears and even for the simplest groovin' stuff like Patton's "Let Em Roll" he analyzes some things like their huge, where in the case of that album everything is for the benefit of the groove, not a necessarily earth shattering technical achievement

Doesn't get much stranger than this one: Mayhem

Is it April 1?? Wow.

I found this bit from the Celtic Frost bio to be pretty funny:

Six months would pass before a disillusioned Warrior was finally convinced to resurrect Celtic Frost by Swiss guitarist Oliver Amberg. After drafting bassist Curt Victor Bryant and bringing back drummer Stephen Priestly, the revamped unit entered Berlin's Sky Trak studios in the summer of 1988 with producer Tony Platt to begin sessions for the infamous Cold Lake album. Warrior's lack of interest in the project allowed Amberg and Platt's commercial tendencies to run wild. In what has since been viewed as one of the most misguided changes in artistic direction in heavy metal history, the duo subverted Frost's ferocious death metal roar into a radio-friendly form of thrash. If this wasn't bad enough, the group then signed their own death sentence by adopting a glam rock image, including teased hair, makeup, and colorful outfits to match. The repercussions were instantaneous and devastating. Both album and band were burned in effigy as utter sellouts, and what was supposed to be a triumphant world tour became a protracted agony for all involved.

Edited by chris

is Thom Jurek paid to gush in every review?  :rolleyes: He seems to marvel at anything he hears and even for the simplest groovin' stuff like Patton's "Let Em Roll" he analyzes some things like their huge, where in the case of that album everything is for the benefit of the groove, not a necessarily earth shattering technical achievement

Jurek does slobber over himself at times, but AMG's biggest gusher?

That would be Ms. Edelstein:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=A4zrj28ou054a

SS

I found this kind of weird (bold parts added by me):

REVIEW FOR JIMMY SMITH'S "BASHIN'"

Although still a regular Blue Note artist (he would make four more albums for the company within the next year), Bashin' was organist Jimmy Smith's debut for Verve, a label that he would record extensively for during 1963-1972. On the first half of the program (reissued in full on this CD), Smith was for the first time joined by a big band. Oliver Nelson provided the arrangements, trumpeter Joe Newman and altoist Phil Woods have a solo apiece, and "Walk on the Wild Side" became Smith's biggest hit up to that point. The final three numbers feature Smith's regular trio with guitarist Quentin Warren and drummer Donald Bailey swinging with soul as usual. The historical set (a bit of a turning point for Jimmy Smith's career) has its strong moments although it is not all that essential. — Scott Yanow

It's not all that essential, but they gave it 5 stars anyway. :rolleyes: