amazingly creative or inventive ART thread

They do look amazing - though the one pictured above is probably my least favourite...

... but I do worry about how many books he had to trash before he perfected the technique! I used to work for an antiquarian book dealer who described as 'rape' the removal of something from a book (eg an engraving). Don't know what he'd make of this

Just stumbled on this on Reddit, and had to share...

Insane art formed by carving books with surgical tools (and the Reddit thread discussing it)

There's lots more examples of this guy's stuff on his website: HERE, and then scroll down. The two most recent years are blank; those are on his his Flickr feed.

Interesting to see what he was doing back in 2005 & 2006, and how his work has evolved into ever more complex projects since then.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Just stumbled on this on Reddit, and had to share...

Insane art formed by carving books with surgical tools (and the Reddit thread discussing it)

Here's a good example, but there are several more at the link above.

BrianDettmer3.jpg

As recently as a generation ago a book artist was someone who designed a fine press limited edition book. He would choose the size, the type, the binding material, the illustrations, the layout, the printer--the intent being to create an organic whole, a worthy vehicle for the transmission of the ideas contained therein. Now a book artist is someone who destroys books by carving them open, and best selling author Sarah Palin is being talked up as a candidate for President. What a fucking age we live in.

Everything ain't for everybody. I think the book sculpture is a cool object to look at. How "offensive" it is should depend on how rare the book is, shouldn't it? It isn't like a mass book-burning, destroying every copy of this particular publication.

Hyper-realist Tony Curanaj is amazing:

tony-curanaj.jpg

I have been absolutely mesmerized by Andy Goldsworthy ever since I saw the documentary.

Also, Theo Jansen. See here:

http://www.google.co...d95a43a1d6a1527

Both are just brilliant, and on very different spectrum.

Yes! +1

yes + another esp Goldsworthy - his work of temporary beauty that unravels with time is very reminiscent of Tibetan sand art.

you ever see this "between the folds" piece? these guys make my head hurt.

I see; so I can't comment on books because I haven't written one? I'll remember that the next time you criticize a film or TV show, Chuck. :)

If the artist was using extremely rare books of which only few copies existed in the world, I could see the outrage. But he's using mostly encyclopedias and other technical tomes, books that were mass-printed for educational purposes, of which I'm sure thousands of copies are still residing safely in public school and university libraries across the US. Or maybe, most of them are being thrown in the landfill due to the internet. And in that light, I think it would be hard to argue that being turned into art is the more offensive fate.

:D

Everything ain't for everybody. I think the book sculpture is a cool object to look at. How "offensive" it is should depend on how rare the book is, shouldn't it? It isn't like a mass book-burning, destroying every copy of this particular publication.

Hyper-realist Tony Curanaj is amazing:

tony-curanaj.jpg

He's got kind of a William Michael Harnett thing going on there.

If the artist was using extremely rare books of which only few copies existed in the world, I could see the outrage. But he's using mostly encyclopedias and other technical tomes, books that were mass-printed for educational purposes, of which I'm sure thousands of copies are still residing safely in public school and university libraries across the US. Or maybe, most of them are being thrown in the landfill due to the internet. And in that light, I think it would be hard to argue that being turned into art is the more offensive fate.

:D

I agree.

And I'm a book-lover from way back.

This is architectural, but similar (strangely) to the carved books I started this thread with

(Similar HOW?? - CLICK, and find out!!)

It's a slide-show with text descriptions on the right, click the green forward and backward buttons near the upper right corner. There's also a short article down below the slide-show (visible on any slide).

Note: These are NOT renderings -- but actual, physical objects. :o (And might even be cooler than the books!)

More images on the artist's website HERE.

columns6.jpg

Edit: I think some of these (above?) are computer renderings, but this one (below) is REAL...

fabricated_columns1.jpg

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Another cool find:

25-Year Refab: Concrete Factory Converted to Castle Home (Don't hover over the pictures (they don't enlarge), and that'll keep the "Google ads" at bay.)

I love adaptive-reuse projects like this, that take an industrial structure and make it into a thing of beauty (even if it turns out to be somewhat out of the "brutalist" tradition). Then again, I like some 'brutalist' architecture (though I'm sure I'm in the minority on that opinion).

Edited by Rooster_Ties