Power Conditioner

EyeSpeech

The first power conditioner I used was a Monster strip of some sort that helped the sound a bit but constricted it at the same time. I graduated to a PS Audio Power Plant P300 but it was inefficient and couldn't handle my components when the wattage would spike--it would shut down. I then got a P600 but that was too bulky and didn't fully solve my power requirements. Now I have a PS Audio Premier...same great sound benefits but smaller, lighter and greater watt capability. It has still cut out and shut itself off on rare occasion. What is your experience with power conditioners?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got one that Jim recommended, the Trip Lite LC-1800 (actually two of them, about $160 each). He'd battle tested the unit in clubs where a fluctuating/nasty-dirty power source can really screw up a Hammond B3 or the like.

I have one hooked up my music playback gear, the other to my flat-screen TV. Can't say I that I recall noticing a significant A/B difference when I first plugged them in, but I can tell/see when the units are compensating for a drop in the outside power source. Where I live, that does happen.

I got one that Jim recommended, the Trip Lite LC-1800

but I can tell/see when the units are compensating for a drop in the outside power source. Where I live, that does happen.

Funny that you mention this as I too have an LC-1800....although it's an older model w/black metal grill on the top and the 5 red voltage lights aligned vertically on the right side. I'm guessing at least a dozen years old? I have a McIntosh amp + SACD player hooked up to it. Last weekend, we had some serious wind and at one point I heard one of the transformers down at the local sub-station make 'the noise' that it does when it's on the verge of frying out. The amp and sacd player were both off (in standby mode)....and at one point, the Trip Lite started to click rapidly ....perhaps 4 or 5 times....the house lights dimmed & flickered a bit... and when I looked over at the stereo, the SACD player suddenly powered up for about 2 seconds before shutting off again. The amp remained dark throughout. I went over and powered up the player and listened to a few tracks from Turrentine's 'Jubilee Shout' just to make sure the unit was functioning properly, then unplugged it from the Trip Lite. I don't even understand the physics of what was going on??? More importantly, do I need to ditch the TL?

Hmmm . . . that does not sound good Rolf. I would consider ditching the TL. It shouldn't turn on components like that, no matter what the external power or weather conditions.

I don't see how any power conditioner could turn on a component. That doesn't make any sense.

Too true. Like I said before, can't even comprehend the physics of what was goin' on. That's what happened though. :ph34r:

I have a P300 which died on me years go, didn't have any issues with it before that. Haven't sought to repair it.

I replaced it with two isolation transformers (one for digital source components, one for non-digital) and each feeds a PS Audio Duet. Works quite well.

The first power conditioner I used was a Monster strip of some sort that helped the sound a bit but constricted it at the same time.

I have to bite my tongue a bit here... are you looking for recommendations on a power strip for it's *protection* capabilities or for some other, shall I say "esoteric" reasons? I can offer my opinions on what I've found to be a good line conditioner but that's all that I could comment on. I have never liked the smell of snake oil.

Have one for each isolation transformer, so on one Duet I have my SCD-XA5400ES (fantastic player), BDP-S2000ES, DVR. and Decware ZDAC-1 (plus my Sony Bravia tv, I use an Audioquest splitter that allows one power cord to feed two others, so DVR and TV share one outlet on that Duet), the other Duet powers my Decware Torii MK III and my Decware CSP2.

I have this one:

burmester948_front.jpg

specs here

In "active mode" I can't hear any improvements in my today set up, whatever the "gurus" of The Absolute Sound might say. Actually it was really effective in my previous home, where power supply was very "bad". In "passive mode" don't know, I should try a nice multi-plug adapter for compare. I am considering to sell it, as far I can found a cheap and good multi-plug adapter.

Porcy, that's a nice component. I understand it doesn't get hot like the PS Audio gear.

Kevin, you guys get more lightning over there--is that what you mean by "saving"? I think I've seen two lightning storms in the 12 years I've been back in the SF bay area. For a while, though my electricity was going out all the time. I think it was because of some construction nearby, which has been on hold since the recession grew legs.

Lon, I bet that setup sounds great. I really wanted a Sony player such as the 5400 but ended up getting the Oppo 83SE, which was mod'ed by NuForce. I think the Sony may do some things better but I wanted a universal player that to handle BD.

• 2 years later...

I have a PS Audio P300 that is now about 13 years old. Recently it has been shutting off and when I attempt to turn it on - I get just a single red light.

I called the company and asked about repair and they said $500.... an audiophile buddy I talked to recommended against repair saying that the unit was just too old and he could not imagine that $500 would cover all of the aging components in the unit.

Any of you guys have any experience with this?

s, as I mention upstream here, I have a broken one too (think the power switch went out) and haven't inquired about repair, went another route but found the isolation transformers I was using (Tripplite) were adding noise into my system sometimes. So I eventually bought a B Stock PS Audio Power Plant Premier for twice what your repair was quoted (and half the usual price).

Haven't seen one at that price since. Love it.

But. . . I loved the P300 when it was working and I can't see any other power regenerator around for 500 dollars. May just have mine repaired for that price one of these days for my second system.

s, as I mention upstream here, I have a broken one too (think the power switch went out) and haven't inquired about repair, went another route but found the isolation transformers I was using (Tripplite) were adding noise into my system sometimes. So I eventually bought a B Stock PS Audio Power Plant Premier for twice what your repair was quoted (and half the usual price).

But. . . I loved the P300 when it was working and I can't see any other power regenerator around for 500 dollars. May just have mine repaired for that price one of these days for my second system.

Lon,

Thanks... when you say "B Stock" does that mean used? According to PS Audio a new P300 is now around $2500.

"B Stock" usually refers to merchandise has been returned to the manufacturer, repaired, reinspected, repackaged and returned to it's original factory condition; sometimes it's display or trade show merchandise. I've also heard it used to describe merchandise with minor blemishes and discontinued items, though I don't think this is "technically" correct...especially since discontinued items should be clearly disclosed. It is sometimes misused to describe "demo" equipment.

As I wrote above, I sold my conditioner and replaced with a good multi-plug adapter from Switzerland. I have to admit, snake oil a part, that I felt an improvement in sound, less constricted, more "open" sound I would say, but it might well be an illusion. Maybe I am just happy for the money I got from my old gear.

Edited by porcy62

Lon,

Thanks... when you say "B Stock" does that mean used? According to PS Audio a new P300 is now around $2500.

Thanks Bebop. Of course the 2500 "P300" is not a P300 but a newer more sophisticated model. The model that I got for 1000 was a "B Stock" Power Plant Premier, which was also a more sophisticated model than the P300, listed for 1995, and is no longer made.

So Lon,

Do you think that the repair would be worth the money and put the unit in good shape?... some people I spoke to do not think it would and that there are probably too many old parts to make that worthwhile.

Well, I've looked inside the darn thing. I think that if it cost 500 to repair it's worth it. I'm sure they'll go over it. There's really not that many little parts to go wrong or to be so badly aged. My answer, yes, will possibly have mine repaired in the future. You can get all kinds of power conditioning components for about 500 bucks or less, but not another power regenerator . . . .