LF Recs On Elvis Costello CD Version

JSngry

I mean, I see Ryko & Hip-O & Zeppo & allkindao, so - what I want is the package that gives me 1) all the non-album material 2) any relevant alternate versions, preliminary takes, etc. Live stuff is not that critical to me.

I used to have all this stuff on LP, then sold it all at one point, rebought some on cassette for the car, but now want it on CD.

To that end, I'm definitely not looking for the "cleanest" sound. I still have a few Stiff 45s somewhere, and I remember them NOT being clean. I want this stuff to punch and punch back.

So, whatch'all think is the way to go?

Rhino 2-CD sets all the way. Great sound, tons of factoids, extras out the wazoo, demos that simultaneously stand on their own, yet make you appreciate the finished product that much more, etc, etc, and ETFREAKINCETERA!!! Every reissue since then hasn't held a candle to the Rhinos, AFAIC. These aren't too difficult to find, too; I'll keep an eye out for them around here if you'd like.

I've got a mix of Ryko and Rhino(Demon over here). Depends on how crazy on tha album/era you are. Not everything makes the expanded editions (way too much info here http://www.inanother...m/costello.html) The rykos I have are just fine and the liner notes uniformly enlightening.

So, if one wanted everything (which I don't), one would have to buy both editions?

So, if one wanted everything (which I don't), one would have to buy both editions?

Check the Wikipedia entries for each title you're interested in. The track-listings and bonus material for all the various configurations are listed, practically side by side.

The Rhino's look the most comprehensive to me, in terms of studio material -- while the Hip-O's seem to focus on live bonus material (with a fair number of studio extras).

I'm a sucker for bonus material, and find that depending on the artist, Wikipedia is usually the best resource to sorting out what reissues have what bonuses.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I've got a mix of Ryko and Rhino(Demon over here). Depends on how crazy on tha album/era you are. Not everything makes the expanded editions (way too much info here http://www.inanother...m/costello.html) The rykos I have are just fine and the liner notes uniformly enlightening.

Yep, at least in some cases on the early albums. And the differences aren't just a stray track here and there.

Yep, at least in some cases on the early albums. And the differences aren't just a stray track here and there.

Plus, it just depends on how much you want to spend. I don't remember there being a big difference (sonically) between the Rykos and the Rhinos. OTOH, I've seen places where the Rhinos have been the same price as the Rykos.

I have the Rhinos. I used to have the Rykos and I don't regret upgrading. Haven't gotten any of the more recent upgrades, since I don't think they have anything I don't already have.

If you already have "Out of Our Idiot," DO NOT GET RID OF IT. It's the only place where you can get "Little Goody Two Shoes," the alternate version of "Inch By Inch." Costello never included it on either the Rykodisc or Rhino editions of "Goodbye Cruel World"...

Edited by Alexander

Question 1 in the FAQ from Fent99's link answers that.

I have a mix of all of the expanded releases and keep my eyes open for some of the Rhino's to replace a Ryko or two. Like RDK mentioned some of the Rykos despite being just one disc are jammed w/ tunes (such as Get Happy!) While I consider myself a big fan I guess I'm not a completist, so missing a demo here or there doesn't cause me to lose sleep.

Yeah, I saw that link after posting that. Good site, really easy to see who's got what.

All I really want is the albums plus all the released stuff that wasn't on the LPs. Demos are cool if "significant", and live stuff, eh....

And I'm probably (but am willing to listen to good arguments) willing to stop at Trust with these mega-expanded-deluxe reissues. After that it's more a case of "interesting" and less of "essential", at least for me.

And I'm probably (but am willing to listen to good arguments) willing to stop at Trust with these mega-expanded-deluxe reissues. After that it's more a case of "interesting" and less of "essential", at least for me.

Understood, although for me Imperial Bedroom gets as much love as the first 5 so I'm very fond of the Rhino. I also now like Almost Blue w/ the bonus disc more than I liked the album when it came out (and I've never been allergic to country leanings either.)

I've been told be a couple of out of town friends that the bonus discs shed new light on the Warner period and Goodbye Cruel World but I haven't tried those myself (though I've considered Goodbye, just haven't run into it.) I'm still on vinyl (or gasp - cassette on 2) for the post Imperial Bedroom material until CDs became commonplace. I had intended to get the King Of America & Blood & Chocolate deluxe Rhinos but was too busy going after new (and "new" old) music to do it and still feel that way.

I too second the rec on El Mocombo as far as live as it can almost make the LP versions sound like demos, but I get it if live isn't of interest.

Edited by Quincy

Heard it back in the day as a boot, liked it a lot, agree as to its excellence, just not in the mood to buy it right now.

77-part of 79 were kinda "branch out from jazz" years for me, so I listened to/bought a lot of the punk/new wave as it came out...read Trouser Press, ordered import 45s, the whole deal. Immediately upon completion went into a hard and proilonged Jazz Militant phase, sold most of the stuff, rebought a few items over the years, but now feel a yearning to get back in a few things, including the first wave of Costello albums. Still good stuff there, Costello has skills, and has from jump.

Biggest regret, financially, was selling a special WB version of Never Mind The Bollocks... that had all kind of extras. Haven't seen one since but I heard it goes (or has gone) for respectable bucks. Sold it and a bunch of other stuff to George Gimarc for what seemed lie a lot of money then...but got him to throw in a Blakey & a Joe Gordon Mercury 10" LPs as part of the deal, so hey...

Actually think the most enlightening bonus disc I've heard is the the second disc on Goodbye Cruel World but thats maybe since the album is far from his best. I played a lot of these records to death back in the day so its the extra tracks that I've listened to on the reissues. Get Happy is maybe my favourite in either expanded edition but have loved it since I bought it on vinyl. Imperial Bedroom and Punch the Clock got a serious reappraisal when I finally bought reissues and gave them a listen.

Not within the span of Costello discs you're interested in, Jim, but I highly recommend the Rhino double-disc of "Juliet Letters" (the one with just Elvis and a string quartet). Just listened to this the other day (hadn't in 5 years), and ended up spinning it three times in a row. Really an amazing work.

(Actually, I'm back in KC now, working on the house -- and could only spin my old single disc version, so I'm looking forward to hearing the bonus disc again when I finally get to DC in a couple months).

Edited by Rooster_Ties

He's a different, less compelling (though more "sophisticated") animal after 'Trust', for sure. That's where I would stop in terms of serious $ outlays also. I have up through "Blood & Chocolate", but just for reference, as they were very inexpensive when I got them used.