With the thousands of recordings in your collection, is there one you

Hardbopjazz

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For quite some time there have been two here that I've regularly pulled out to close off the day (more often than many others in my collection).

Pete Jolly's "Little Bird" LP on AVA

and

Al Haig's "Today" (Mint AL 711)

Must have been on a "late night piano kick with a (semi-)Latin 60s feel". :D

Edited by Big Beat Steve

In the Frisell Category: Bill Frisell - "Intercontinentals" (owned since it came out in like 2001, listened to it at least once a week since then).

bill_frisell-intercontinental_span3.jpg?1234934677

In the non-Frisell Category: Clifford Jordan - "Night of the Mark VII" (32jazz, formerly "Highest Mountain" on Muse; I owned both at one point or the other; owned since approx. 1995, listen to at least once a month, and when I'm not listening to it, I'm thinking I should be listening to it).

16366409.jpgf57174m6var.jpg

If you define it as "for a relatively long period of time, listened to over and over again" I could identify many, like Soul Station, Blue Hour, Six Pieces of Silver. I am sure I can think of many others but for me, the reality is that for the most part its been many years since I pulled out those old favorites, due to a couple of factors: Hundreds or thousands of LPs or CDs bought since I first purchased those original favorites, and my musical interests evolving toward blues/R&B.

I've recently done some digging into the archives to pull out six or eight CDs at a time of favorite artists I've been neglecting and what was interesting was that, as great as the music still is, its been imprinted on my mind so well that there was no 'sound of surprise' anymore.

The Mosaic Andrew Hill Blue Note Sessions is never far from the CD Player or turntable (since it so essential, I have both the CD and vinyl versions. I would be hard-pressed to choose a singular CD from that group. Today it would be "Smokestack".

LWayne

I haven't listened to any one recording over and over in many years - though I did when my collection was much smaller. It might be interesting to do that again - I tended to know the music on my records more than I do now - but I doubt if I will. I've become addicted to variety in my listening.

Edited by paul secor

I'm with BeBop, though I can say that when I had fewer records, I can remember that the standouts tended to be discs like McLean's Destination Out, Out to Lunch, Hill's Black Fire, the Ornette Atlantics, Spiritual Unity, the early Bill Dixon recordings (the 7-tette, which I first had on a BYG bootleg, I listened to a ridiculous amount), Into the Hot, Rudd's Everywhere, and the Braxton Aristas. It's funny where I started. Of course this is all great stuff but I probably don't listen to things as obsessively now.

I also distinctly remember coming home from class and having received a vinyl copy of the AEC People in Sorrow LP on Nessa in the mail. I went to work and came home for a break (this was Lawrence, KS, and it was possible to take a break by biking home in five minutes and then back in an hour). I put the record on and did not go back to work that night.

Edited by clifford_thornton

I haven't listened to any one recording over and over in many years - though I did when my collection was much smaller. It might be interesting to do that again - I tended to know the music on my records more than I do now - but I doubt if I will. I've become addicted to variety in my listening.

Similar pattern with me. Some of the greatest music in my collection has been there for almost 50 years and has been played so many times that the essential "sound of surprise" is quite gone. Biggest loss in this respect are the Parker Savoys and Dials. One which has stood up surprisingly well to this process has been the Second Herd/Four Brothers band. Still blows my mind every time!

I don't have just a few, but rather probably 25-30 dates I've gotten a little "obsessive" over, over the years.

But nothing that really rises to the top of those 30 though. When I get like that about a recording, I usually burn myself out on it, and it slides into a more regular rotation level -- still occupying a special place in my mind, even if I never return to it with quite the same level of ferocity.

For instance, I must have spun Passing Ships and that third (crazy) disc of the Hill BN Select 50 times each within the first 6 months after I got them (same goes with The Trainwreckâ„¢ :ph34r: ) -- but I don't think I've spun either any more than 6-8 times in any given year since.

Pretty much all my "obsessive" listening goes like that. 50 spins in a few short months, and then I don't ever need to hear it as much ever again (even if it still gets more spins than average).

Edited by Rooster_Ties

There are individual tracks that I really play the heck out of - like Don't Do Nothing Til You Hear From Me off Red Hot + Indigo (yeah, crazy when I could be listening to the original).

I do go back to Dialogue - Hutcherson/Hill quite a bit and also Coltrane's The Complete Africa Brass.

But when I just long for comfort music, it is usually pop like Bruce Cockburn or Suzanne Vega.