Two nice Shelly Manne albums from 1967

Larry Kart

"Jazz Gunn" on Atlantic and "Perk Up" on Concord (probably recorded for Atlantic, it stayed in the can until 1978).

Hauled them out because I wanted to hear some Strozier, but

what a good group this was overall. Candoli was in particularly fine form at that time; Wofford I've always dug; and Shelly was swinging hard -- no West Coast preciousness here. Also, the Mancini originals on "Jazz Gunn" (written for the Blake Edwards film "Gunn," except for a new down-tempo version of the TV show theme) are much more subtle and hip than the music for the old show was.

"Perk Up" includes what probably was the first recording of Jimmy Rowles's "Drinkin' and Drivin'" (a.k.a. as "502 Blues" -- 502 being the California penal code number for a drunk driving arrest -- and recorded under that name by Wayne Shorter).

Perk Up was a nice 'surprise' CD reissue back when, but I don't think I've seen the Atlantic that was issued at the time. I do have Boss Sounds which has the same front line but Russ Freeman instead of Wofford on piano. May have to go looking for that other Atlantic - thanks for the rec., Larry.

Perk Up was a nice 'surprise' CD reissue back when, but I don't think I've seen the Atlantic that was issued at the time. I do have Boss Sounds which has the same front line but Russ Freeman instead of Wofford on piano. May have to go looking for that other Atlantic - thanks for the rec., Larry.

"Perk Up" was definitely recorded for Atlantic, but not issued until the 1978 Concord release.

Shelly gave us a tremendous body of great music over the years.

Things were pretty bad at Atlantic in the late '60s when 'Perk Up' was recorded.

As a fan of Strozier, I grabbed the album as soon as Concord released the session!

This indeed was an excellent Shelly Manne group and 'Perk Up' remains its best representation!

I did a BFT some time back and one of the tracks I used was "Bleep" from PERK UP, a wonderful Mike Wofford homage to Monk. This was an excellent Manne group, love Strozier's work in the '60s. The JAZZ GUNN I have on LP, will dig it out and give it a listen.

Edited by MartyJazz

Yes, I'm a fan of this band, too! "Perk Up" is fine, and I've had a chance to hear "Jazz Gunn," too.

I started to love those two cds as soon as they appeared. I lookd for Perk Up later, because it has the same group of Jazz Gunn.

After some classic Manne, at the times of the university I was really in love with his drumming and his groups (More Swinging Sounds on OJC, 2-3-4 on Impulse!). And I still am.

"Perk Up" includes what probably was the first recording of Jimmy Rowles's "Drinkin' and Drivin'" (a.k.a. as "502 Blues" -- 502 being the California penal code number for a drunk driving arrest -- and recorded under that name by Wayne Shorter).

It was recorded in 1958 on Jive For Five, a Bill Holman and Mel Lewis session on Andex. Rowles was on piano for the recording, and the track's title was listed as "502 Blues Theme."

post-282-0-65685300-1300686113_thumb.jpg

It was recorded in 1958 on Jive For Five, a Bill Holman and Mel Lewis session on Andex. Rowles was on piano for the recording, and the track's title was listed as "502 Blues Theme."

Hmm -- and I have that album, too. Thanks for the heads up.

• 3 months later...

Thanks to the free $2.00 mp3 credit, I started looking to see what Amazon has to offer, and I found Jazz Gunn's mp3 available for $4.83.

http://www.amazon.com/Jazz-Gunn/dp/B004159O2K/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=IKSCVU41EZ6O5&colid=RVSBV717YT9

Apparently Strozier's on Boss Sounds as well. Currently available as a used LP from DG or Amazon mp3s:

http://www.amazon.com/Boss-Sounds-Shelly-Shellys-Manne-Hole/dp/B00122FTW4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309370305&sr=8-1

I think I'll order the mp3s.

• 2 years later...

I finally got around to purchasing "Perk Up' yesterday and conclude it's a very nice session. The album starts off a bit slowly with the title track but things move on from there. The contributions of Strozier are a plus and the playing of Candoli and Wofford who I know little of, make this worthy of owning. Especially if you're already a fan of Shelly Manne.

If you don't own the actual lp, can you find 'Jazz Gunn' on cd (other than paired up w/Daktari on collectibles)? Was it out in Jpn?

Jazz Gunn and Daktari is a great twofer. Why would you want Gunn by itself?

Don't want Daktari for the same reason I don't want Jimmy Page's pants. Annoys me.

Page+1970.jpg

Jimmy Page looks like Ruth Lion posing for the cover of another Blue Note album.