Your Favorite Not-Originally Issued Blue Note

Dan Gould

I know this is not an exhaustive list, but vote for your favorite not-issued-at-the-time Blue Note  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted for "The Procrastinator" out of those listed above - what an *incredible* fairly progressive album, with an incredible line-up. One of Lee Morgan's very best, easily in his top-5 (in my book), maybe even my #1 favorite Lee Morgan album, sometimes.

But, maybe my all-time favorite "not originally released at the time" Blue Note, would have to be... (drum roll, please.....)

"Mother Ship"!!!!

Since I skipped so many important dates, like the Grant Green/Sonny Clark or the dates that came out in the Lost Sessions batch, maybe the next step is a second or third poll followed by a play-off?

I have a feeling that Procrastinator will win regardless.

Oddly enough, I'm not sure I ever knew (at least until now) that "Solid" didn't come out around the time it was recorded. (Or maybe I knew at one time, but then promptly forgot it.)

"Solid" is such an *incredible* album, how could it have not come out at the time?????!!!!!!!!! Joe Henderson and James Spaulding - what an *incredible* front line!!!!

And so, then, is this cover...

f60176tro6c.jpg

one of those by Patrick Roques?? I don't have my "Solid" CD handy (buried in a box somewhere), or I'd check myself. (AMG doesn't list Partrick in the credits for "Solid", but not all of his efforts have been included in every AGM entry, where they could/should be.)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• 3 weeks later...

"Solid" has to be in this poll! We can't leave that date off. If I had to choose only two of Mobley's, it would certainly never be "Curtain Call" & "Thinking Of Home". It would be "Poppin'" & "Another Workout". I actually consider Mobley's "Curtain Call" to be pretty weak. Also, in my opinion, Mobley's playing on Sonny Clark's "My Conception" is miles ahead of any of the aforementioned dates. :)

Poor Leo Parker... he really doesn't get the credit he deserves. His "Rolling With Leo" could have been a Blue Note classic if only he didn't pass away, preventing Lion from releasing it to the acclaim it deserved.

Later,

Kevin

I've never heard either of the Leo Parker BN's, and sadly - they're a bitch to find, no???

Actually, if both of Leo's albums (on BN) would fit on one CDR, they might make a good Album of the Week - perhaps??

If someone who's actually heard these albums before thinks this is a good idea, post it to my "logistically challenging AOTW suggestions" thread that's in today's active topics.