"Mary Osborne: Queen of the Jazz Guitar"

Hey all, the most recent Night Lights show, Mary Osborne: Queen Of The Jazz Guitar is now posted for online listening. It includes many of Osborne's 1940s recordings as a leader and with Mary Lou Williams, Beryl Booker, and the Coleman Hawkins 52nd Street All-Stars, as well as three sides from her 1959 A GIRL AND HER GUITAR date, a track from the Clark Terry CATS VS. CHICKS session, the 1977 Marian McPartland-led NOW'S THE TIME, and her final leader date in 1981.

Coming up this week: "A Few Miles From Memphis: Harold Mabern in the 1960s."

Edited by ghost of miles

• 1 year later...

A question that may have been asked elsewhere before but anyway ...

Is there an easily accessible reissue of her 1959 Warwick LP out?

Being unable to find that one, out of despair a couple of years ago I bought her later "Now and Then" LP on the Stash label (which includes about half of that Warwick LP) but still ... ;)

A question that may have been asked elsewhere before but anyway ...

Is there an easily accessible reissue of her 1959 Warwick LP out?

Being unable to find that one, out of despair a couple of years ago I bought her later "Now and Then" LP on the Stash label (which includes about half of that Warwick LP) but still ... ;)

look here:

keep boppin´

marcel

If you do another Mary Osborne show, let me know. I have a (presumably) one-of-kind acetate, purchased in an Atlanta antique store, of a broadcast by Osborne's trio from 1947. She mostly features her singing in the 10-minute spot, but there are some nice guitar licks along the way.

• 9 years later...
On 5/23/2012 at 7:14 PM, jeffcrom said:

If you do another Mary Osborne show, let me know. I have a (presumably) one-of-kind acetate, purchased in an Atlanta antique store, of a broadcast by Osborne's trio from 1947. She mostly features her singing in the 10-minute spot, but there are some nice guitar licks along the way.

Do you still have this?

• 2 years later...