Paul Motian

Hardbopjazz

This weekend I caught Paul Motian at the Village Vanguard. I must say I have listened to him, but never saw Motian live. I enjoyed him live more than on record. Any fans of Paul Motian? I'm looking for a suggestion on what would be a good CD to pick up by him.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

I don't know where you'd begin with his sessions as leader since those as 'sideman' are really more important, but his recent ECM, Lost in a Dream, has been very well received, though perhaps for Chris Potter's contribution rather than for the drumming as such. Still, it's a nice album.

Who did he appear with at the gig?

(oh no, I'm doing a 'Jim')

Edited by David Ayers

I recently saw him play at the Vanguard with Bill McHenry, another saxophone player with a Hispanic name, a bassist with a Scandinavian name, and pianist Russ Lossing. It was a good gig if not as good as his "regular" groups.

I'd recommend the Winter & Winter album "Sound of Love" (recorded at the mid 90s) as a starter - it's a good cross-section of his work. Out of what I've heard, I think the trio with Lovano and Frisell was his best group.

Guy

Conception Vessel is very good, Tribute is great; I thought Dance was a disappointment. I'm not crazy about Psalm - this group had an overly "mushy" sound initially though it tightened up quite a bit by the time they recorded Misterioso on Soul Note.

Agree about the quintet tightening up on the Soul Notes, but Motian's early ECM's are well worth owning IMHO. I like them far better than his excursions with Lovano and Frisell. Those are just a little too "ambient" for my tastes. But I've never seen them live, where my impressions could very well change.

I'm also very fond of those early ECM, especially the trios.

For more recent releases, I've been enjoying the Trio 2000 +, Village Vanguard series on Winter and Winter (with Greg Osby, Matt Maneri) a fair bit more than the most recent ECMs. As for the Lovano/Frissell band, then it's 'Sound of Love' for me.

I recently saw him play at the Vanguard with Bill McHenry, another saxophone player with a Hispanic name, a bassist with a Scandinavian name, and pianist Russ Lossing. It was a good gig if not as good as his "regular" groups.

I saw him w/McHenry at the same venue some years ago, and don't remember anything about the music. In other words, it just slipped by. Saw him w/Lovano & Frisell there as well. Good gig.

Motian's tribute to Bill Evans is beautiful, and I recommend it. :tup

Also, the Gordon Grdina-Gary Peacock-Paul Motian album 'Think like the Waves' has become one of my recent minor favorites.

I highly recommends his electric bebop band's album on Winter and Winter. Especially good ones are "Monk and Powell" and "Flight of Blue Jay". On both album, there are two guitars (Kurt Rosenwinkel, Brad Shepik/Steve Cardenas) and two sax (Chris Potter, Chris Speed) and one electronic bass (Steve swallow).

I highly recommends his electric bebop band's album on Winter and Winter. Especially good ones are "Monk and Powell" and "Flight of Blue Jay". On both album, there are two guitars (Kurt Rosenwinkel, Brad Shepik/Steve Cardenas) and two sax (Chris Potter, Chris Speed) and one electronic bass (Steve swallow).

These are interesting albums to my ears as well. Unfortunately, prevailing tastes here can sometimes come down to No Mobley = No Way!

Edited by JETman

• 2 years later...

Paul Motian operated at the heart of NYC jazz for more than 50 years. After working in a series of celebrated groups—including Bill Evans’s late-’50s and early-’60s trio and Keith Jarrett’s American Quartet of the early to mid-’70s—the drummer launched a lengthy series of bandleading ventures. These disparate ensembles showcased Motian’s subtly enchanting compositions and nurtured a remarkable assortment of future stars. In advance of a March 22 concert honoring Motian, who passed away at age 80 in 2011, TONY spoke with many of the musicians scheduled to appear.

More here:

Time Out New York