Big Update on Mosaic Site - Lunceford, Rivers, Tolliver Big Band

Just got an email back from Mosaic and the remastering for the upcoming sets will be....drumroll.... :excited:

THEY WILL BE....

Sam Rivers--Jon Horwich

Charles Tolliver--Malcolm Addey

MJQ--Ron McMaster

Lunceford--Andreas Meyer

I was thinking Andreas Meyer might be doing the Lunceford set, since he's done the Shaw and the Armstrong. Hopefully it turns out great!

There it is!

Are you sure Ron McMaster will do the MJQ set? Seems strange to me, because it's Atlantic material and as an EMI/Blue Note engineer he's usually not mastering non-EMI/Blue Note material.

It may seem strange, but it is what it is. I was just trying to provide accurate information that people may want to know. That is all. :)

Edited by Jazz Nut

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought Aurora a couple weeks ago and I'm listening to it for the forst time now- EXCELLENT!!! Swings like mad, with the bass & drums in a great groove, but the horns getting a bit 'out' here and there. Three more discs of these guys, I'm in on the preorder without a doubt.

From a jazz blog you can search for, here's the line-up (according to a post dated 31-Aug-2009), and track-listing of the previously unissued Tolliver material.

Off the top of my head, I believe most of these are Tolliver compositions, the only two I'm not sure of are "Linsome" and "Rejoicing".

Can't find anything at all on-line about any tune named "Linsome". I wonder if "Rejoicing" is possibly the Ornette tune? (I'm guessing probably not.)

NDR Big Band feat. Charles Tolliver

Hamburg (Germany), Funkhaus des NDR

February 1979

Charles Tolliver - trumpet, arranger

NDR Big Band, incl:

Benny Bailey - trumpet, flugelhorn

Herb Geller - alto sax, flute

Wolfgang Schlüter - vibes

Wolfgang Dauner - piano

Lukas Lindholm - bass

Alvin Queen - drums

1. Impact (8:10)

2. Grand Max (6:15)

3. Linsome (7:13)

4. Rejoicing (7:44)

5. Ruthie's Heart (8:44)

6. Mother Wind (7:12)

7. Plight (5:30)

TT: 50:51

Edited by Rooster_Ties

The Tolliver of course caugth me off guard... the Lunceford is terrific news (though I must have all or most the music on Masters of Jazz... will definitely want a Mosaic booklet there! Call me crazy!).

The Rivers also sounds interesting, though I don't quite know yet what my take on his big band music is... the RCAs take a while to "get" and I'm not sure I'm there just yet. Guess I ought to check out that disc "Aurora" as well, huh?

Isn't track 6 called 'Mother Wit'?

Bertrand.

From a jazz blog you can search for, here's the line-up (according to a post dated 31-Aug-2009), and track-listing of the previously unissued Tolliver material.

Off the top of my head, I believe most of these are Tolliver compositions, the only two I'm not sure of are "Linsome" and "Rejoicing".

Can't find anything at all on-line about any tune named "Linsome". I wonder if "Rejoicing" is possibly the Ornette tune? (I'm guessing probably not.)

NDR Big Band feat. Charles Tolliver

Hamburg (Germany), Funkhaus des NDR

February 1979

Charles Tolliver - trumpet, arranger

NDR Big Band, incl:

Benny Bailey - trumpet, flugelhorn

Herb Geller - alto sax, flute

Wolfgang Schlüter - vibes

Wolfgang Dauner - piano

Lukas Lindholm - bass

Alvin Queen - drums

1. Impact (8:10)

2. Grand Max (6:15)

3. Linsome (7:13)

4. Rejoicing (7:44)

5. Ruthie's Heart (8:44)

6. Mother Wind (7:12)

7. Plight (5:30)

TT: 50:51

Ah yes, Mother Wit and Lynnsome. Didn't recognize the titles, and I should have scanned an alpha-sorted list of his tunes in case they were misspelled versions.

I didn't realize Tolliver had a leader-dates entry HERE, and the 1979 date is even listed (as a radio-broadcast, with the correct spellings too), just scroll down for it.

There's also a Rejoicin' on the 2006 big-band studio date that Mosaic issued, listed as a Tolliver original.

That answers all my questions about the '79 date, it would seem.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Looking forward to these, though admittedly I would have looked more forward to a big box of Sam Rivers trios.

Who says there won't be one? That's what we thought we were hearing before. There's a lot of the trio stuff floating around on blogs, as we previously noted, and it's fair to say that it is all much of a muchness. So it may be that project was abandoned in favor of this - or it may just be that we misinterpreted the whispers. In any case I find I am pretty much seventied out these days...

Just got an email back from Mosaic and the remastering for the upcoming sets will be....drumroll.... :excited:

THEY WILL BE....

Sam Rivers--Jon Horwich

MJQ--Ron McMaster

Lunceford--Andreas Meyer

I was thinking Andreas Meyer might be doing the Lunceford set, since he's done the Shaw and the Armstrong. Hopefully it turns out great!

There it is!

Are you sure Ron McMaster will do the MJQ set? Seems strange to me, because it's Atlantic material and as an EMI/Blue Note engineer he's usually not mastering non-EMI/Blue Note material.

It may seem strange, but it is what it is. I was just trying to provide accurate information that people may want to know. That is all. :)

Michael Cuscuna has confirmed that the MJQ set will indeed be mastered by Ron McMaster.

I've never been able to get into Rivers' big band recordings. Perhaps I'll try again.

Perhaps give the recent Florida Big Band disc a try first??

I found the RCA 'all-star' group discs (from '99) more than just a bit impenetrable at first (for a few years, actually), but have grown to like them (though I wouldn't go so far as to say 'love'). The Florida big band date, on the other hand, knocked me on my ass from the git go. :crazy:

The key difference, for me, was the rhythm section. Sam's got an electric bass player (saw him with Sam in Topeka a few years ago), who also plays with his local big band. I was skeptical at first (electric in that kind of context?), but he/they soon won me over. He and the drummer were very tight.

To be perfectly honest, I'm probably a little more excited about this Rivers Select, than I might have been with his 70's small-group recordings.

Anybody else got Aurora, can you help me testify?!! :excited:

"Aurora" is indeed a great set! More accessible and enjoyable than "Culmination" and "Inspiration" from the late 90's on RCA IMHO. I saw the Sam Rivers RivBea Orchestra practice one night when visiting Orlando a couple of years back when they used the back room/ stage of a bar named Will's Pub. While they are "out", they do swing. Looking forward to this set.

Edited by LWayne

Looking forward to these, though admittedly I would have looked more forward to a big box of Sam Rivers trios.

Who says there won't be one? That's what we thought we were hearing before. There's a lot of the trio stuff floating around on blogs, as we previously noted, and it's fair to say that it is all much of a muchness. So it may be that project was abandoned in favor of this - or it may just be that we misinterpreted the whispers. In any case I find I am pretty much seventied out these days...

I dig what you are saying; the muchosphere has really changed the landscape for reissues/unearthed material, especially for titles that aren't sure sellers.

THEY WILL BE....

Sam Rivers--Jon Horwich

MJQ--Ron McMaster

Lunceford--Andreas Meyer

There it is!

Michael Cuscuna has confirmed that the MJQ set will indeed be mastered by Ron McMaster.

Scott Wenzel just mentioned Malcom Addey to me as the mastering engineer of the MJQ set.

THEY WILL BE....

Sam Rivers--Jon Horwich

MJQ--Ron McMaster

Lunceford--Andreas Meyer

There it is!

Scott Wenzel just mentioned Malcom Addey to me as the mastering engineer of the MJQ set.

Scott just told me it would be Ron McMaster.

THEY WILL BE....

Sam Rivers--Jon Horwich

MJQ--Ron McMaster

Lunceford--Andreas Meyer

There it is!

So...it's been McMaster all along. That's what I was told too (so I posted that fact on March 15th). I wouldn't post something like that without having a good source (Mosaic's Fred). Perhaps I'm taking it the wrong way (or blowing things out of proportion) but, where's the trust?!?! Geez, I was just trying to help (Mosaic enthusiasts) with initial post of who was remastering what...

THEY WILL BE....

Sam Rivers--Jon Horwich

MJQ--Ron McMaster

Lunceford--Andreas Meyer

There it is!

So...it's been McMaster all along. That's what I was told too (so I posted that fact on March 15th). I wouldn't post something like that without having a good source (Mosaic's Fred). Perhaps I'm taking it the wrong way (or blowing things out of proportion) but, where's the trust?!?! Geez, I was just trying to help (Mosaic enthusiasts) with initial post of who was remastering what...

Good grief man, don't be so defensive. Nobody's attacking or criticizing you, I was just posting the (initially conflicting) info I got from Mosaic (Fred/Michael/Scott), that's all.