Big Update on Mosaic Site - Lunceford, Rivers, Tolliver Big Band

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Btw, regarding the NDR question: it's a full-fledged big band, usually 4 trumpets, 3 bones and bass bone, five reeds, four-part rhythm section (w/guitar, but that may not have been in place in the 70s yet). BUT there are also dates with contingents, and the Tolliver session might be one of them? There's another one with Dexter that came out on one of spanish labels a year or two ago, with similar information (partial line-up given only, all NDR big band members). Hopefully Mosaic will be better in finding out... I hope they do get in touch with someone from the NDR archives and have them check! Never been in touch with them myself and it might end up difficult, but I'd be happy to help if I can, and see if there's someone they might get in touch with.

Btw, regarding the NDR question: it's a full-fledged big band, usually 4 trumpets, 3 bones and bass bone, five reeds, four-part rhythm section (w/guitar, but that may not have been in place in the 70s yet). BUT there are also dates with contingents, and the Tolliver session might be one of them? There's another one with Dexter that came out on one of spanish labels a year or two ago, with similar information (partial line-up given only, all NDR big band members). Hopefully Mosaic will be better in finding out... I hope they do get in touch with someone from the NDR archives and have them check! Never been in touch with them myself and it might end up difficult, but I'd be happy to help if I can, and see if there's someone they might get in touch with.

Maybe the people at the Darmstadt Jazz Institut might be able to help? They have a lot of those NDR videos on file I think.

• 1 year later...

Broke down and bought the Tolliver and Rivers "Big Band" Selects a couple weeks ago, and have been spinning them nonstop (and love 'em both).

I had been without my copies of the two Tolliver Strata East dates for several years (loaned the first one out to somebody, and never got it back - and gave away the second one when the Select was announced, knowing I'd get one eventually). So, I can't A/B check the sound quality of the new mastering vs. the old (which I had before on Charly CD's) -- but the new one sure sounds great, and I especially hated the old mix and/or mastering on "Impact", so it's a revelation to hear it with decent sound (finally). The new, 3rd disc is very cool too.

And there's SO much amazing playing on the Rivers set. I bought his earlier Florida Big Band date ("Aurora") when I heard Sam perform live about 5 or 6 years ago in Topeka, KS (of all place), and everything on the new Select is every bit as good as "Aurora" (which is killer!). Fantastic rhythm section (with electric bass and an almost rock-ish drummer), and some of the most creative big band section writing I've ever heard. It's totally "out" and "in", continuously, all at the same time.