VIDEO - Max Roach w/Tolliver, Pope, Cowell, & Merritt

JSngry

Beautiful clip. Stanley Cowell!! -- extremely underrated pianist, swinging his ass off here, digging in strong with his articulation and keeping the melodic flow fresh and always moving forward and developing. Also nice hat tip with that little chromatic Bud Powell figure that he works with starting in the first A section of his second chorus. Tolliver sounds strong, too, at the nexus of Freddie, Lee and Woody. Not convinced here by Pope's pitch or tone. Max on brushes under the piano creates a hot simmer and I like the way he underscores the tune on the in and out choruses.

Thanks for posting.

Edited by Mark Stryker

Not convinced here by Pope's pitch or tone.

Yeah, Odean grew into a, to put it mildly, much stronger player than he was here, but here he's not quite ready...I wonder if Max was hiring him on a temporary basis, to give him a tatse of the real deal, as a favor to Hassaan, or just what.

Interesting bass Merritt is playing.

I think I just saw a bass like that here in KC a couple months ago, the guy in Dave Douglas' group. Pretty sure it was plastic (see below) A bass-playing friend of mine in the audience said that was "the kind of bass they all used down in Cuba" (iirc). Spontoon, you were there that night, any memory of what Jeff said that was?

Here's the guy (Brad Jones), here's a pic with that bass I was talking about (it doesn't quite show the whole thing, but close)...

dsc_0044.jpg

And this footage is fairly good, of the same instrument...

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Max Roach Quartet, 1970. With Billy Harper, Cecil Bridgewater, Reggie Workman

I saw them in Chicago at the "Jazz Show Case" on Rush Street back in the late 70's. And before that, when I was in school, I went to see a good friend who was a professor at Youngstown State University, I walked to his new office (he moved from an old building into a new one) and there was a guy sitting in a chair with his legs crossed looking at a magazine. I really didn't notice him until the professor came out of his office and said, "Hey, I have someone I want you to meet.....". He introduced me to the man who put down the magazine, stood up and extended his hand. It was Max Roach......

Edited by Enterprise Server

• 5 years later...
On ‎21‎.‎03‎.‎2011 at 3:31 PM, Enterprise Server said:

I saw them in Chicago at the "Jazz Show Case" on Rush Street back in the late 70's. And before that, when I was in school, I went to see a good friend who was a professor at Youngstown State University, I walked to his new office (he moved from an old building into a new one) and there was a guy sitting in a chair with his legs crossed looking at a magazine. I really didn't notice him until the professor came out of his office and said, "Hey, I have someone I want you to meet.....". He introduced me to the man who put down the magazine, stood up and extended his hand. It was Max Roach......

Great story !

I think, the group with Cecil Bridgewater, Billy Harper and Reggie Workman was really a steady unit for a long time. I also saw them in the late 70´s maybe 1978. Fantastic and IMHO the best band he had.

It was at a concert hall, but the day before the concert Art Farmer played in a small club and in walked Max ! We coudn´t believe it. Too bad I was to shy than (18 years old), see those people were living legends, my heroes and I would have been scared to death to try to greet them.

Heard the next edition with Bridgewater still on trumpet, and Odean Pope and Calvin Hill replacing Harper and Workman. Also a great group, but I didn´t like Pope´s sound so much, he sometimes sounded more like a bassoon than a tenor, at least that´s how I felt it. And Calvin Hill though he played an acoustic bass, it was maybe the way how it was amplified, the acoustic bass and a more ugly plastic sound than the warm sound Reggie Workman had......

• 3 months later...

Holy cow, this is billed as "Max Roach and Northern Colororado University Big Band Montreux 1971", and the comments also mention George Cables.

But (uncredited) it's none other than Charles Tolliver(!) conducting (and playing some, I now see too), and supposedly it's HIS tune/suite (according to a YouTube commenter).  Am at work, haven't had the chance to listen super-closely to this yet (to see if I recognize the tune) -- and I'm now reposting this (from a few months ago, still haven't had the chance to really listen to this).

Most of the brass section players are ID'ed in the YouTube comments too, FWIW.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Yes, this is Tolliver's music. He was commissioned by the Montreux Festival to compose this for Max and Big Band.

Over the years, he has talked about resurrecting this from time to time. Once we talked about seeing if we could do it with Roy Haynes as a guest.

I'll ask him about it again and see if I can get song titles.....