march madness

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, I haven't had Red Breast in over a year. Ever since I moved down to Bluegrass Country, it's been exploring the world of bourbon.

But at certain bars in Chicago, Red Breast was always nice choice for getting a higher quality whiskey without having to go into double digits on the price.

Good luck on your brackets. I think this is the first year I won't be filling any out in, crap, maybe forever.

Butler does it again! :excited:

Unbelievable ending. Two foolish fouls in the last two seconds. Can't remember ever seeing anything like that before.

Agreed, and it's too bad that the fouls overshadowed that sweet dish to Andrew Smith to put Butler up by 1 with two seconds left... that should've been the game-winner right there.

Last 7 seconds of Butler-Pittsburgh game

I really thought Butler's magic had run out after Mack put Brown on the foul-line with 1.4 seconds to go--thought the best Butler could hope for was overtime.

Edited by ghost of miles

Interesting research notes from the ESPN site:

Butler is the third team in NCAA tournament history to defeat a number one seed before the Final Four in consecutive years. The Bulldogs beat Syracuse in the Sweet 16 last year and Pitt on Saturday in the round of 32.

Butler now has 5 wins by 2 points or fewer in the Men's Basketball Championship over the last 10 seasons (since 2001-02). That is 2 more such wins than any other team during that time span.

Interesting research notes from the ESPN site:

Butler is the third team in NCAA tournament history to defeat a number one seed before the Final Four in consecutive years. The Bulldogs beat Syracuse in the Sweet 16 last year and Pitt on Saturday in the round of 32.

Butler now has 5 wins by 2 points or fewer in the Men's Basketball Championship over the last 10 seasons (since 2001-02). That is 2 more such wins than any other team during that time span.

scarlet and grey! all the way!

What I would love to know is how the crew that made a shambles of the end of the notorious St. John's Big East Tournament game, gets into the NCAA Tournament, and AGAIN, completely screws up end of game calls like they did in the AZ / TX game? Their "explanation" that you can't call a time-out after the four count is complete bs. The game would have been better off if they would have walked off the floor early again. I have no love for UT, but they really go hosed on this one -- and I haven't even mentioned the lack of a call on the final play either. The refs just choked this game away, and I hope they are asked to go home again..

Edited by Matthew

What I would love to know is how the crew that made a shambles of the end of the notorious St. John's Big East Tournament game, gets into the NCAA Tournament, and AGAIN, completely screws up end of game calls like they did in the AZ / TX game? Their "explanation" that you can't call a time-out after the four count is complete bs. The game would have been better off if they would have walked off the floor early again. I have no love for UT, but they really go hosed on this one -- and I haven't even mentioned the lack of a call on the final play either. The refs just choked this game away, and I hope they are asked to go home again..

that they were working those games was preposterous!!

well written!!!!!!

I'm a UT alum and I too was disappointed at the outcome. So, is the four count thing a rule that was improperly enforced? Also, it looked to me like the foul at the end happened after the clock ran out. Believe me, I wish things had turned out differently, and I'm not saying there hasn't been some poor officiating. I'm just tying to understand what went wrong with those particular calls.

I'm a UT alum and I too was disappointed at the outcome. So, is the four count thing a rule that was improperly enforced? Also, it looked to me like the foul at the end happened after the clock ran out. Believe me, I wish things had turned out differently, and I'm not saying there hasn't been some poor officiating. I'm just tying to understand what went wrong with those particular calls.

There is no such thing as "no time-outs after four seconds," that was just made up by the referee, even the head of NCAA admitted that. ESPN put a stopwatch on the play, and time-out was called 3.9 seconds. This quote from the ref is ridiculous:

However, referee Richard Cartmell called Joseph for a five-second violation, though replays showed he appeared to make the call before reaching five.

"I had five seconds before the kid turned and signaled a timeout," Cartmell said in a statement. "I had to make a decision whether it was five seconds or a timeout, and I made the decision it was five seconds because I had counted five seconds before he called timeout."

99.9999% of the referees in the world would have chosen to call a time-out given the situation, I've must have watched a million basketball games in my life, and I've never seen that call made at the end of a game. Not calling a foul on the last shot was just a ref swallowing the whistle, the dude didn't have the nerve to make the call. Why these refs don't us sports common sense is beyond me. In the Butler game, calling a foul on a defensive rebound, under the opposite basket, while the player even had his back to the basket with 0.9 seconds to go, it also way beyond common sense to me. Abysmal refereeing in my book.

Edited by Matthew

Not calling a foul on the last shot was just a ref swallowing the whistle, the dude didn't have the nerve to make the call.

What I was saying was that the foul occurred AFTER the clock ran out, at least that's what it looked like on the replay. I wish it hadn't gone down that way, but it seems to be the case.

I agree the five second ruling was BS, though.

Why these refs don't us sports common sense is beyond me. In the Butler game, calling a foul on a defensive rebound, under the opposite basket, while the player even had his back to the basket with 0.9 seconds to go, it also way beyond common sense to me. Abysmal refereeing in my book.

In the Pitt/Butler game, the Pitt player made a bonehead play by grabbing the Butler rebounder's arm, even though they were 90 feet away from the Butler offensive basket. It's not up to the refs to cover up when a player makes a knuckleheaded play. It was an blatant foul, and the ref had to call it.

Not sticking up for bad refereeing,and there's been some of that, but obvious fouls are obvious fouls, and they should be called.

On another note, is there a team in the tournament that's more entertaining to watch than VCU? Joey Rodriguez has amazing energy, strength for a guard, and court sense/composure. He's the best point guard I've seen in the tournament. Hope I don't jinx him him by saying that.

Is Florida State a threat or was this their one big "accomplishment"? I usually pay absolutely no attention but I am wondering if their great defense can keep them going past the Sweet Sixteen.

Their offense has been suspect all season. Surprisingly they had a great offensive showing last night, and I think the overall matchup again ND was in their favor. If they can keep the offensive production going (and keep from melting down- they're a little too emotional sometimes) they can get past VCU, but Kansas is looming in the regional final and I don't see much hope there. Still, they've been impressive and have had a good run, even if it goes no further.