What to Reissue

jonathanhorwich

And I'm working on trying to secure the rights to Carter/Bradford on Flying Dutchman. Right now that is a mess. But that's another story.

I feel your pain. My friend, who's pretty well-connected, was trying to do the Abdul-Hannan LP, which is David S. Ware's first appearance on record. He found Abdul-Hannan, had access to the tapes of this privately-issued gem, and due to various difficulties (not the least of which being a request for absolutely obscene amounts of money) he finally dropped the idea. So whether it's something that seems "fairly obvious" or a piece that barely registers a blip on the radar of all but the most obsessive, it can be a real headache to secure the rights to reissue something. I suppose that's partly why bootlegs and the blogs are flourishing.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure I can think of many more I would like to see, but the one that pops in my head first is Jeremy Steig's "Flute Fever" w/ Denny Zeitlin, Ben Tucker, and Ben Riley. I think it is the first recording of Jeremy Steig and Denny Zeitlin, and it should be a famous classic album, yet it has never been on cd.

Two classic records that have never found their way to CD:

Art Hodes/Truck Parham: Plain Old Blues (Eamarcy)

Rev. Robert Wilkins (Piedmont)

I have an LP copy of the Rev. Robert Wilkins - a GREAT record that's never been reissued - but would buy a CD reissue.

Have never heard Plain Old Blues & would like to.

I’m glad to see a Dogon A.D. reissue in the works. That’s a great album.

How about more Bill Dixon? Would love to see Considerations 1 & 2 reissued in some format.

Would also like to see the rest of Ornette Coleman’s 1962 Town Hall concert released, but I suspect that would involve a lot of lawyers plus finding out which cupboard or under which mattress Ornette stashed the reel.

Any of these, but (at least for me) especially "Of Human Feelings" (which was out only very briefly on CD in Japan 20+ years ago)...

colemanat12.jpgcolemancrisis.jpg

Ornette at 12 (1969) & Crisis (1972) [both on Impulse]

Would Ornette be willing to sell the rights to the Impulse!'s? He doesn't seem to be in a big hurry to reissue them.

Edited by Holy Ghost

Seeing jostber's suggestion of a Mulligan on Limelight reminds me that I have another of his Limelight albums called Something Borrowed, Something Blue with Zoot Sims. I don't think that that has ever been relased as an album on CD, and I enjoy it very much.

I'd be curious to hear all of Mulligan's work on Limelight.

I also have one Chet Baker Limelight album called Baby Breeze. If he did anything else for that label, I'd be curious to hear it as well.

I could come up with a very long list of LP's that (to the best of my knowledge) have never made it to CD. Here are just some of those I would love to see reissued on CD.

Ronnie Cuber - Cuber Libre - Xanadu

Dolo Coker - Dolo - Xanadu (with Blue Mitchell & Harold Land)

Frank Wess / Johnny Coles - Two At The Top - Uptown

Teddy Edwards - Feelin's - Muse

Art Farmer - Live In Tokyo - CTI (with Jackie McLean & Cedar Walton)

John Lewis & Lew Tabackin - Duo - East World

Ed Bickert Quartet - Bye Bye Baby - Concord (w. Dave McKenna)

Sal Nistico Quartet - Just For Fun - Ego

Sal Nistico - Neo-Nistico - Bee Hive

Ross Tompkins And Good Friends - Concord (w. Al Cohn)

Brew Moore - Brew's Stockholm Dew - Sonet

Thad Jones 4 - You Made Me love You - Kiva/Elec

Red Garland Trio/Quartet - Stepping Out - Galaxy

Red Garland Quintet - Strike Up The Band - Galaxy

Tiny Grimes - Profoundly Blue - Muse

Sam Noto Quintet - Act One - Xanadu (w. Joe Romano,Barry Harris,Sam Jones, Billy Higgins)

Sam Jones Sextet - Notes To You - Xanadu (w. Ronnie Cuber,Joe Romano, Jimmy Rowles, Sam Jones, Freddsie Waits)

Bill Hardman - Home - Muse

Charles McPherson - Mainstream (w. Lonnie Hillyer, Barry Harris)

Charles McPherson - Today's Man - Mainstream

What about the Horace Tapscott / Arthur Blythe album from the Late 60s on Flying Dutchman - I don't remember the title.

Guy

The Giant is Awakened. It would indeed be nice to have by itself, but it does appear in whole on West Coast Hot along with one of the Carter/Bradford Flying Dutchmans, which is shorn one track. Magnificent album(s).

I was pretty sure that Spiritual Infinity was a mass of aborted takes and nothing complete exists.

Sunny Murray had a rather positive opinion of the date in is Paris Transatlantic interview with Dan Warburton:

Talking of lost albums, whatever happened to your album for Columbia [“Spiritual Infinity”, from 1968, featuring Clifford Thornton, Arthur Jones, Dave Burrell, Alan Silva, Juni Booth, Frank Wright and Art Lewis and “possibly others”]?

That was a great record, but they never put it out. Great orchestration. Matter of fact Frank Wright's first record [third in fact, after the two Wright ESP albums from 1965 and 1967 respectively]. He was in a group with fourteen of the baddest cats in New York, and he played wonderfully to be one of the newest, not being a real academic musician, you know. For that record I did some crazy stuff – I wrote some very nice music for that record. One of the compositions was like an experimental piece, like a John Cage piece – I had a lot of different sound things, and I had a siren. I didn't want the band to know it... I wanted to see their reaction... The band was playing their ass off and I started to work the siren real low rrrrrrrrrr so that only I could hear it. (That's another thing in Helmholtz, playing above and below the audible level... That's why moms and grandmoms say what kids play today is loud, because they're used to listening to the radio at a lower level, and kids today above it...) So I started working the siren, and I raised it rrrrrrrrrr to their level, and when I got to their level – it was a great experience – the whole band heard it together and didn't know what the fuck it was! I was behind them at my drums watching their reaction, and they got hot, their hearts beat faster, I was really messing with 'em RRRRRRRRRR and then THE BAND STOPPED. Nobody could get their breath to challenge this sound... but Frank Wright continued! (Laughs) He continued, I raised it higher, he continued, I raised it higher and finally he stopped, he couldn't continue no more! He says “MURRAY WHAT THE HELL IS THAT MAN?!” I told everybody, it's a siren!

1. JR Monterose • JR Monterose Is Alive In Cafe Paradiso (HSM)

2. Bill Barron • Motivation (Savoy)

3. Gary Foster • Grand Cru Classé (Revelation)

4. Jouck Minor • Candles of Vision (Calig)

5. Sam Rivers • Paragon (Fluid)

6. Hans Dulfer • Jazz in Paradiso

7. Steve Lacy • Stalks

8. Ed Curran • Elysa (Savoy)

post-282-0-29226800-1301123698_thumb.jpg post-282-0-54526700-1301123710_thumb.jpgpost-282-0-35724100-1301123833_thumb.jpg post-282-0-17666600-1301124148_thumb.jpg

post-282-0-43548600-1301124192_thumb.jpg post-282-0-01929400-1301123948_thumb.jpg post-282-0-63749500-1301123860_thumb.jpg post-282-0-18166500-1301123960_thumb.jpg

Edited by Late

Ran Blake - Film Noir

alankin is in the house! Welcome back, Alan!

Hello, Alan. I can't even begin to tell you how much I miss Jazzmatazz. That was de rigueur at least one a week back in the day. It sustained me in my hour of need.

Thanks guys.

[After some personal travails over the last six years (parental illness, separation, job change, parental death, a chronic fatigue illness, job at risk, kid trouble, divorce, another job change, dating and meeting someone, health problem issue with girlfriend) things took a turn for the better (move to a nicer house, remarriage, improvement in my kids' situation, good health) and I'm finding more time to listen to music. (Although I do need to find another job.) (This was probably TMI, wasn't it?)]

I miss Jazzmatazz too.