What to Reissue

jonathanhorwich

Any of these, but (at least for me) especially "Of Human Feelings" (which was out only very briefly on CD in Japan 20+ years ago)...

Ornette at 12 (1969) & Crisis (1972) [both on Impulse]

Of Human Feelings (1982), Opening the Caravan of Dreams (1985), & Prime Design\Time Design (1986)

I think they were recording every time Ornette and Prime Time appeared at the Caravan of Dreams--which was three times with Prime Time in the club (2 or 3 nights each time) and once providing great music for a horrible play, and once with Pat Metheny (one night).

Opening the Caravan of Dreams and Prime Design were both recorded in 1983, not 1985-86..

Edited by kh1958

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Steig mentioned above appeared briefly as an "upcoming" title on Collectables, but never appeared. (But they did get around to the first couple of Columbia Paul Horn's about the same time.) It's very good, with a terrific selection of songs. The Verve Teagarden pictured above - with Bobby Hackett - is an obvious one - how did that get missed? And "Maynard, '62" - buried in that Mosaic box - is one of his best - the band with Jacki Byard and Joe Farrell.

1. JR Monterose • JR Monterose Is Alive In Cafe Paradiso (HSM)

2. Bill Barron • Motivation (Savoy)

3. Gary Foster • Grand Cru Classé (Revelation)

4. Jouck Minor • Candles of Vision (Calig)

5. Sam Rivers • Paragon (Fluid)

6. Hans Dulfer • Jazz in Paradiso

7. Steve Lacy • Stalks

8. Ed Curran • Elysa (Savoy)

post-282-0-35724100-1301123833_thumb.jpg post-282-0-63749500-1301123860_thumb.jpg

post-282-0-01929400-1301123948_thumb.jpg post-282-0-18166500-1301123960_thumb.jpg

post-282-0-17666600-1301124148_thumb.jpg post-282-0-43548600-1301124192_thumb.jpg

Got all those but the Foster - some really nice ones. I was under the impression that the Dulfer was happening, but I haven't heard anything about it for a while.

The Verve Teagarden is I believe the one that his son released on cd, not especially "legally" . . . .

One of the Sun Ra Horos was illegitimately released as well in the last few years.

David, I think the Ellington reissue was halted because Phil Schaap and Columbia parted ways, it was the last of the (in my opinion excellent) Ellington reissues he produced, and just did not get released before Schaap was no longer on staff, or a freelance producer, whichever it was.

David, I think the Ellington reissue was halted because Phil Schaap and Columbia parted ways, it was the last of the (in my opinion excellent) Ellington reissues he produced, and just did not get released before Schaap was no longer on staff, or a freelance producer, whichever it was.

Got it, thanks. Yes, they were good. I had imagined some executive being asked to sign off on this release, looking at the title, and going uhhh.

One of the Sun Ra Horos was illegitimately released as well in the last few years.

And surprisingly well too, I might add. It was the "New Steps" double LP (on one CD). Good sound (at least I thought so), and really quite decent packaging (with good liners even). I've bought legit reissues that had a lot less effort put into them.

I'd happily buy a similar reissue of "Other Voices, Other Blues" (even non-legit, though clearly I'd prefer legit). I was tickled when I saw the "New Steps" disc, and had my hopes up that all the Sun Ra Horo's were finally out on CD.

Fun stuff! - hearing Mr. Blount, John Gilmore, and especially Michael Ray(!) in a quartet setting.

What about the Horace Tapscott / Arthur Blythe album from the Late 60s on Flying Dutchman - I don't remember the title.

Guy

The Giant is Awakened. It would indeed be nice to have by itself, but it does appear in whole on West Coast Hot along with one of the Carter/Bradford Flying Dutchmans, which is shorn one track. Magnificent album(s).

isn't WCH out of print?

What about the Horace Tapscott / Arthur Blythe album from the Late 60s on Flying Dutchman - I don't remember the title.

Guy

The Giant is Awakened. It would indeed be nice to have by itself, but it does appear in whole on West Coast Hot along with one of the Carter/Bradford Flying Dutchmans, which is shorn one track. Magnificent album(s).

isn't WCH out of print?

Yes, it is long out of print. That Tapscott introduced us to Arthur Blythe, who arrived on record fully formed. Magnificent stuff.

Edited by felser

That Tapscott introduced us to Arthur Blythe, who arrived on record fully formed. Magnificent stuff.

The Giant Is Awakened really is magnificent stuff. Important historically too. The compilation West Coast Hot sounds pretty thin on disc. Both Flying Dutchman records (The Giant Is Awakened and Flight For Four) sound considerably better — darker and warmer — on vinyl. If Jonathan were to reissue either album (though he mentioned that attaining the rights is currently a mess), I bet they'd sound great. The missing track from the Carter/Bradford — "Domino" if memory serves — is really nice. Plus, both records have really nice artwork — icing on the cake.

post-282-0-49514600-1301330489_thumb.jpg post-282-0-20304500-1301330542_thumb.jpg

Edited by Late

Along the lines of Intents & Purposes, it would be very nice to see reissued the Savoy dates that Dixon produced.

Was about to suggest the exact same thing. What a campaign that would be.

Welcome A.S.!

All quite good records. The Curran is my favorite, with the Levin and Pozar close runners-up. Not as crazy about the Watts, but I'm sure some here are fans.

post-282-0-14129700-1301331822_thumb.jpg post-282-0-87561500-1301332271_thumb.jpg post-282-0-39462300-1301332320_thumb.jpg post-282-0-93935500-1301332578_thumb.jpg

Edited by Late