What to Reissue

jonathanhorwich

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I have not heard anything, I don't want to post in the other thread, but: Is anything by Joseph Dejean/Cohelmec Ensemble a classic? I have not heard them but have long been curious... similarly, nothing by Michel Roques has ever been reissued as far as I know...

Those Cohelmec records are awesome. I love Next especially - really unique compositions/group interaction.

• 2 weeks later...

51GNvTEfe9L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I'd like to see this available again on CD at a normal price.

Must be my lucky day, cuz I just spotted this one in a store that has no emphasis on jazz whatsoever for $6.99; I'm running back there first thing tomorrow morning to buy it!!!!!

I always like that bit of luck. I check the hell out of Reckless Records' website, which is mostly indie rock but carries a lot of jazz; they price their Miles & Coltrane rather competitively but anything else is fair game. I've walked away with OOP stuff and Mosaics for a steal.

Must be my lucky day, cuz I just spotted this one in a store that has no emphasis on jazz whatsoever for $6.99; I'm running back there first thing tomorrow morning to buy it!!!!!

I always like that bit of luck. I check the hell out of Reckless Records' website, which is mostly indie rock but carries a lot of jazz; they price their Miles & Coltrane rather competitively but anything else is fair game. I've walked away with OOP stuff and Mosaics for a steal.

Yup, Reckless is great in that regard. I've walked away with Ray Draper's Tuba Sounds for $8 and Sirone's Live for $3; but when ordering on line, they rape you with a $8 mailing fee, which means they're great if you shop their shops in person. :blush:

I actually find their shipping to be an amazing deal. It's a flat $6 no matter how many items you get. So purchasing one CD or LP is a poor deal, but if you stock up you essentially pay nothing for shipping.

Gotta keep that in mind cuz I only order one thing at a time from them. :shrug[1]:

But on the other hand, I visit Chicago regularly and hit up Reckless and the Exchange back to back and walk away with incredible deals through and through.

It was easier to keep Hat Hut stuff in print - especially the lower-selling discs - when Werner and the label were swimming in UBS arts funding money. That's not as plentiful now, so I can imagine the label is on a tighter budget.

Yup. Got tons of Hat's with UBS stamped all over it.

Several by Moers label, including LPs by John Carter, Phillip Wilson, Leo Smith, and Roscoe Mitchell. I would like to see a full "reissue" of Ornette's Town Hall concert, with David Izenzon's composition for bass. And if there is unissued material (e.g. rehearsals) from Monk's 2nd big orchestra date on Columbia, I'll take some of that. And I can hardly wait for Cecil Taylor's Garden. Any year now.

Several by Moers label, including LPs by John Carter, Phillip Wilson, Leo Smith, and Roscoe Mitchell. I would like to see a full "reissue" of Ornette's Town Hall concert, with David Izenzon's composition for bass. And if there is unissued material (e.g. rehearsals) from Monk's 2nd big orchestra date on Columbia, I'll take some of that. And I can hardly wait for Cecil Taylor's Garden. Any year now.

Garden was already reissued on 2 cd's by Hat Art.

Still pining for Tyrone Washington's "Roots" on CD, which is every bit as strong as "Natural Essence" -- and, I think "Roots" is even stronger. I am aware of a couple other 'Perception' dates having been issued in CD, though I don't know the circumstances of their issue. Here's the details of the date...

Date: 1973

Label: Perception

Tyrone Washington (ldr), Tyrone Washington (ts), Hubert Eaves (p), Stafford James (b), Clifford Barbaro (d)

a. a-01 You Are The Sunshine Of My Life - 5:00 (Stevie Wonder)

b. a-02 Spiritual Light Of The Universe - 5:07 (Tyrone Washington)

c. a-03 Roots - 5:00 (Tyrone Washington)

d. a-04 Submission [aka To The East Side Rock] - 4:45 (Tyrone Washington)

e. b-01 War Is Not For Men - 6:00 (Tyrone Washington)

f. b-02 You Don't Know What Love Is - 7:00 (Don Raye, Gene DePaul)

g. b-03 1980 - 7:20 (Tyrone Washington)

All titles on: Perception LP 12": PLP 40 — Roots (1973)

LP issue gives no recording date - 1973 is issue date.

post-171-0-79643700-1302708701_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rooster_Ties

This is why I never shop there anymore - people like you buy all the good stuff!

Here here on the Crisis! reissue with extra tracks (will never happen). Just think - Complete Impulse! Sessions...

Garden was issued on CD 21 years ago. Volume 1 is as rare as hens' teeth. I can find just about anything, I have shopped the web aggressively and in NY, LA and San Francisco for years. Maybe 2-3 copies seen on Ebay in the past ten years. You are correct, it was done, but how about another go for us foolish mortals?

Edited by AmirBagachelles

Garden was issued on CD 21 years ago. Volume 1 is as rare as hens' teeth. I can find just about anything, I have shopped the web aggressively and in NY, LA and San Francisco for years. Maybe 2-3 copies seen on Ebay in the past ten years. You are correct, it was done, but how about another go for us foolish mortals?

I hear ya, but not everything is worth reissuing 2 or 3 times over. Consider also that as stated above, Hat Art has lost a huge chunk of its funding. I much rather see them reissue the Willisau set and Dortmund 1976.