The Sesjun Radio shows series

brownie

Interesting double CD series from the archives of the Dutch station Sesjun on the Out of the Blue label.

First one (it has been out for several months now) was the Chet Baker set

chet_baker_sesjun.jpg

It was excellent!

Coming out shortly will be these two:

art_blakey_the_sesjun_radio_shows.jpg41J8dCo3mnL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers and the Bill Evans have material from the 70s.

All never issued before!

The Dutch broadcast system is one so complicated as to be misundertood by anyone not a native. "Sesjun" is not a station, but a series, presented domestically by TROS radio with some funding by the international broadcaster, Radio Nederland. RN then distributes it around the world as a representative of Dutch culture.

Sesjun was an excellent series, which I presented on CJRT-FM for at least 15 years. They'd do about 26 shows a year, a mix of Dutch bands, international artists with Dutch accompanists, and sometimes complete touring bands. There was no bias either: traditional, mainstream, contemporary jazz was all represented.

The smaller groups were almost always recorded at Nick Vollebregt's Jazz Cafe in Laren, but they'd tape at concert halls too. I remember once they did a bunch in Curacao...must have been winter in the Netherlands, and the Caribbean looked inviting for the production team.

The shows were live-to-air, and taped for reuse and international distribution. The recordings were all first-rate -- Radio Nederland had/has a wonderful recording truck. And the people there were very co-operative. They would send me the raw material (even warm-up sets) and allow me to produce my own local version as long as they were given proper credit. I should have kept the CDs of all the shows, as there were some dandies there! It's good to know there are some more releases coming out -- they must have an incredible library after all those years.

I had a hand in putting together the late John Norris with RN, with the resulting release of "Echoes of Spring" by Red Richards with Norris Turney, Claude 'Fiddler' Williams, Dave Green and Joe Ascione. It's Sackville SKCD2-2049.

The Blakey and Evans are also releases already in the Netherlands. The Blakey is typical Blakey for the time (70's) : hard and down to earth. The Evans has a duo set with Gomez and a trio set with Gomez and Zigmund (both great) and the second disc is with Johnson and LaBarbera (Toots Thielemans is a featured guest on 5 tracks). I don't like the lengthy drum solo's of LaBarbera but otherwise a nice enough set to listen to.