Herbie Hancock Quartet

CJ Shearn

Happy new year everybody. My first post in a while, haven't been posting much while I'm here at home during the winter break. Was "Herbie Hancock Quartet" recorded during the same July, 1981 period as "Herbie Hancock Trio '81"? (July 27, 1981) the U.S. disc doesn't give a recording date for "Quartet". Also, as Hancock had a track record of most straight ahead releases from the late 70's on being recorded and released in Japan only, was "Quartet" originally planned for a Japanese only release? I'd imagine since Winnie was getting a bit push then, that was a reason why the record was released here, good record tho, although I think "Trio '81" gets the edge with the strong takes on "Stablemates" and "Dolphin Dance".

Yes, according to Wynton's website

Signed to Columbia Records, Wynton took a leave from Blakey in the summer 1981 to tour with fellow Columbia artist Herbie Hancock's Quartet (featuring the V.S.O.P. rhythm section of Ron Carter and Tony Williams). Wynton's first recordings for the label were made in July at the CBS SONY Studios in Tokyo (in digital format) while on tour there, and were later released as Hancock's simply-titled double-LP Quartet.

http://www.wyntonmarsalis.net/pressrelease.html

Edited by Claude