Dave Brubeck & Carmen McRae: Tonight Only!

mikeweil

8436028697465.jpg

1 Melanctha (10:02)

2 Weep no more (2:53)

3 Talkin' and walkin' (4:26)

4 Briar bush (aka Southern scene) (2:58)

5 Paradiddle Joe (2:07)

6 Late lament (6:21)

7 Strange meadowlark (2:42)

8 Tristesse (5:02)

9 Tonight only (7:32)

10 There'll be no tomorrow (4:33)

11 Easy as you go (1:38)

12 Summer song (2:23)

13 In the lurch (2:29)

14 My one bad habit (2:37)

Some of the bonus tracks are from The Real Ambassadors; but There'll Be No Tomorrow is a very rare track ... a reissue done right, at last. The few of these tracks that were included on a Brubeck vocals tracks compilation Columbia issued some years ago are excellent!

Edited by mikeweil

The live LP "Take Five" included two studio tracks, Take Five and Easy As you Go, also released as a 45rpm single - the one DMP mentioned.

Looks like Carmen McRae' Columbia output amounts to five albums:

- Carmen McRae Sings Lover Man & Other Billie Holiday Classics

- Something Wonderful (w Buddy Bregman)

- Tonight Only (w. Dave Brubeck)

- The Real Ambassadors (w. Dave Brubeck, Lambert, Hendricks & Ross & Louis Armstrong)

- Take Five Live (w. Dave Brubeck Trio)

Got that reissue of Tonight Only yesterday - the paperwork doesn't give away where the label American Jazz Classics is located and who's running it.

Sound is slighly inferior to the Columbia CDs, at least on the tracks from the original LP - but it does not seem to be a needle drop - if so, it is made from a meticulously clean LP. The bonus material sounds exactly as on the Columbia CD issues.

The music is great - I was impressed by Brubecks creative approach to piano playing. Wish there were trio LPs he made, as I find Desmond is nice, but I can enjoy Brubeck without him.

Carmen, well, is absolutely flawless. Even if the arrangements might not be top notch, I will get me the Collectables reissue of the album with Buddy Bregman.

411VTQ1ZXYL._SS500_.jpg

Edited by mikeweil

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I splurged on a copy of the early cd of "Take 5, Live At Basin Street." Very good release. Hopefully one of these days they'll reissue it on cd. (Yeah, right!)

1347138.jpg

They did already..... in Japan, where I had this very in 2007 attracted by Carmen singing Take Five.

This is why I will look for 'Tonight Only'; thank you for the clue.

Edited by ArmandoPeraza