The Pete Rose Korner

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do others think? Does Pete deserve to be in the Hall of Fame even though he bet on baseball? Should his baseball prowess solely determine eligibility, or should his betting be factored in?

I guess I lean towards keeping him from the HOF. Betting in sports is a big no-no for active athletes.

Poor guy, but he did it to himself.

Hard to believe that moron was such an outstanding hitter, but he certainly was.

My take:

What's the rule on when you're eligible?? 5 years after you retire, then 15 years to be voted in by the writers?? Afterwards you're voted in by the members of the HOF. Assuming this is correct, Rose's 15 years are coming due real soon. He's admitting he bet on baseball so he'll be eligible to be voted in by the writers because he has virtually no chance to be voted in by the members. The writers will have no problem voting him in.

He's denied time and time again that he bet on baseball....and now he says he did- and in a book?? He's a pompous arrogant ass.

Unfortunately Bud Selig will welcome him with open arms and he'll be voted in.....Selig should have Rose do penance by doing community service talks about the evils of gambling, etc......but it won't happen.

If he is voted in- count the number of HOFers on the stage with him- it will be markedly less than for other people because of the animosity for Rose.

And when he is up there- change the hairstyle!

Pete Rose is a complete, total, absolute, idiot! :angry: What? He thinks just because he now admits he bet on baseball he deserves a free pass??? What The Heck???? He's telling us, that as a manager, he bet on games he was involved in, and these were during years that the Reds were actually in penant races. This is not "coming clean", not by a long shot! Mr. Rose, here are some questions I would liked answered:

1. Did you bet on the Reds, and if so, to win or lose?

2. Did you make game decisions based on your bet?

3. Did you try to get "inside" information on other teams so you could make a better bet?

4. Did you get anyone in baseball to bet with you?

Charlie "Hustle" is right! This guy shouldn't be allowed with 100 miles of the Hall of Fame! If he gets in, that will be his greatest "hustle" ever!

Pete Rose deserves some kind of documentation in the HOF because of his records, but defintiely membership. The guy was a prick as a player, and has evolved into a full-fledged dick post-retirement.

Commision a 1:32 Aurora model of Charlie Hustle running to first base, another of him on the phone to his bookie, hang them side by side with some fishing line in some secluded hallway in Cooperstow, and be done with it, I say.

Pro baseball was almost killed by betting scandals. It wasn't just the 1919 World Series.

Bill Veeck in his second book discussed finding documentation indicating that the 1918 World Series was fixes too.

A great player named Hal Chase was widely believed to throw games. He's not in the Hall of Fame.

Berrigan, when the scandal broke I read that as manager Rose only bet on the Reds to win, but there was one starting pitcher (I've forgotten the name - presumably his worst starter.) he never bet on.

The issue about gambling is not one of morality or good citizenship. It's that if the public loses confidence in the integrity of the matches, the whole operation is out of business. In my view, no compromise may be tolerated. To keep Rose out of the Hall is not to deny his accomplishments, but rather to recognize that his actions called into question the integrity of the games he managed.

Pete Rose was the most exciting player I've ever seen play the game. I might feel differently if he wasn't on my world champ 1980 Phillies, but damn, let the guy in. He maybe stupid, but he was one hell of a ball player! I get excited just thinking about him rounding second and his hat flying off his head and a headfirst slide into third. Charlie Hustle baby!!! :g

He should be barred just for excessive melodrama. His book (an autobiography I presume) is entitled "My Prison Without Bars." :rolleyes:

Pete was one of my heroes as a kid. But he should give up his obsession with getting into the Hall. (His records, though, should be and are represented there.)

Obviously a tough call, given what he did on the field.

Sadly, my vote would be no. At some point, there were rules established (or authority granted to those to decide on this situation years ago). Just because he decides to fess up now should not invalidate the decisions made years ago. That would effectively be saying - the decisions made years ago are being overturned on the basis of Rose's admission that he lied to the decision-makers years ago.

What the hell kind of sense does that make?

It is like someone who went to jail for committing a crime years ago, who after denying it for years, now admits it. What do you do now - let that person out of prison? Last time I checked, we live by the rule of law - not the rule of sympathy.

(I recognize of course that this is not a legal matter per se, but I think the general concept applies here).

Eric

It is hard to believe there is even a debate about this. Baseball and all professional sports need the foundation of the no-gambling rule. Gambling on games, having a compulsive gambler who owes the mob as a team manager, this is serious slimy stuff.

I would strongly presume that letting Pete Rose back into baseball in any way will be really dispiriting to many fans, and current and ex-players. So just like Shoeless Joe, he is as important for his bad mistakes as his merits as a player.

I am not hopeful, but players, Weasel Bud, and the HOFers should take a stand against Rose and stand up for simplest form of integrity.

i just found the dowd report

http://www.dowdreport.com/

also here is rule 21

MAJOR LEAGUE RULES

Rule 21

MISCONDUCT

(a) MISCONDUCT IN PLAYING BASEBALL. Any player or person connected with a

club who shall promise or agree to lose, or to attempt to lose, or to fail

to give his best efforts towards the winning of any baseball game with

which he is or may be in any way concerned; or who shall intentionally

fail to give his best efforts towards the winning of any such baseball

game, or who shall solicit or attempt to induce any player or person

connected with a club to lose, or attempt to lose, or to fail to give his

best efforts towards the winning of any baseball game with which such

other player or person is or may be in any way connected; or who, being

solicited by any person, shall fail to inform his Major League President

and the Commissioner.

(B) GIFT FOR DEFEATING COMPETING CLUB. Any player or person connected

with a club who shall offer or give any gift or reward to a player or

person connected with another club for services rendered or supposed to

be or to have been rendered in defeating or attempting to defeat a

competing club, and any player or person connected with a club who

shall solicit or accept from a player connected with another club any

gifts or reward for any such services rendered, or supposed to have

been rendered, or who having been offered any such gift or reward,

shall fail to inform his League President or the Commissioner

immediately of such offer, and of all facts and circumstances therewith,

shall be declared ineligible for not less than three (3) years.

© GIFTS TO UMPIRES Any player or person connected with a club, who

shall give, or offer to give, any gift or reward to an umpire for services

rendered, or supposed to be or to have been rendered, in defeating or

attempting to defeat a competing club, or for the umpire's decision on

anything connected with the playing of a baseball game; and any umpire

who shall render, or promise or agree to render, any such decision

otherwise than on its merits, or who shall solicit or accept such gifts

or reward, or having been solicited to render any such decision

otherwise than on its merits, shall fail to inform the League President

or the Commissioner immediately of such offer or solicitation, and all

facts and circumstances therewith, shall be declared permanently ineligible.

(d) BETTING ON BALL GAMES. Any player, umpire, or club official or

employee, who shall bet any sum whatsoever upon any baseball game in

connection with which the bettor has no duty to perform shall be declared

ineligible for one year.

Any player, umpire, or club or league official or employee, who shall

bet any sum whatsoever upon any baseball game in connection with which

the bettor has a duty to perform shall be declared permanently ineligible.

(e) VIOLENCE OR MISCONDUCT IN INTERLEAGUE GAMES. In case of any physical

attack or other violence upon an umpire by a player, or by an umpire upon

a player, or of other misconduct by an umpire or a player, during or in

connection with any interleague Major League game or any exhibition game

of a Major League Club with a club or team not a member of the same league,

the Commissioner shall impose upon the offender or offenders such fine,

suspension, ineligibility or other penalty, as the facts may warrant in

the judgement of the Commissioner.

(f) OTHER MISCONDUCT. Nothing herein contained shall be construed as

exclusively defining or otherwise limiting acts, transactions, practices

or conduct not to be in the best interests of Baseball; and any and all

other acts, transactions, practices or conduct not to be in the best

interests of Baseball are prohibited and shall be subject to such

penalties, including permanent ineligibility, as the facts in the

particular case may warrant.

(g) RULE TO BE KEPT POSTED. A printed copy of this Rule shall be kept

posted in each clubhouse.

Edited by Soulstation1

His accomplishments are overshadowed by violating the one rule you're not supposed to break: don't bet. Don't let him in. From what I read in the last couple of days, his attempts to come clean are motivated by the 20 year rule. You're eligible to be voted in by the sportswriters for 20 years after you last played. Since he stopped playing in '86, that anniversary is not that far away. After that, it's up to the veterans committee, who are not known for their speed. After all, Gil Hodges still isn't in. Talk about an injustice :(

I was a baseball fan as a kid and ironically my favorite team was Johnny's: the Philadelphia Phillies.

I believe that you cannot allow Pete Rose into the HOF. The Hall has to represent more than just on-the-field prowess. Conduct has to be considered.

Besides that, Pete is an embarassment to the human race... :P

If you are going to use conduct as a criterion then Ty Cobb would have never made it into the hall-vicious,nasty racist old bastard. Even so I don't think Pete Rose should be let into the hall. He reminds me of the old Nazis who's only regrets were losing the war and getting caught afterwards. If Rose does get into the hall there should be a provision that he can never ever participate in baseball again.

If you are going to use conduct as a criterion then Ty Cobb would have never made it into the hall-vicious,nasty racist old bastard. Even so I don't think Pete Rose should be let into the hall. He reminds me of the old Nazis who's only regrets were losing the war and getting caught afterwards. If Rose does get into the hall there should be a provision that he can never ever participate in baseball again.

Forget Ty Cobb. Kenesaw Mountain Landis is in there, and he denied Black players the opportunity to play in the major leagues for as long as he was commisioner. If he belongs, why not Pete Rose?

That's the cynical side of me speaking. Another part of me thinks that the Baseball Hall of Fame means something to people (including me), and that a bum like Pete Rose doesn't belong there. You can make as good an argument for Shoeless Joe Jackson to be in the Hall of Fame as you can for Pete Rose.