What to Reissue Number Two

jonathanhorwich

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear All,

Hello.  Understood on all comments.  Taste does enter.  Just like on my Clare Fischer release which was received cooly (and politely) here.  I believe (know?) it is a work of genius, yet I understand how some may not take to it.  Although I don't think the Blake is a work of genius I think it is very original music, quite different than what other pianists have done and very fine music.  I firmly believe that the Dixon, Hemphill and Tapscott stuff is a work of genius.  And the Carter Bradford is very close to that.  Surely extraordinary playing and chemistry on Flight for Four.  

Or take the Daley material I will eventually put out.  To me Daley on the vinyl was filled with possibilities (as Allen mentions in regards to Blake) but were not brought to fruition. Daley doesn't sound comfortable or fully developed to me on the vinyl Live at Newport.  (However the real live at Newport is another matter and the trio plays gorgeously.)  But then there is the bass playing on the vinyl Live At Newport and that is fabulous.  So for me taste enters in at this level and some things do it for me (Fischer, Tapscott, Hemphill, Dixon, Carter/Bradford) and some haven't quite done it for me.  

This is all obvious stuff but thought I'd comment.  Love to hear other thoughts on the matter as we all know there is a fine line between taste being an issue and the listener missing the boat. I this case I think it is taste.  (Maybe with Fischer, in that case only, some missed the boat.)

Edited by jonathanhorwich

I always wanted to listen to Film Noir - I will get me a copy before Christmas. 

I agree that some may have missed Fischer's boat - it is a unique, genial album, but I expressed that opinion before. Just like Gil Evans' early albums, which everybody agrees on. 

I hunted down Film Noir on vinyl a couple of years ago on eBay, got it for a kind price. Not my "favorite" Blake, but nevertheless, a fine, fine record. As Allen implies, Blake is not for the impatient, nor is he necessarily even for all of the patient. But I will say this about him - I've got a fair number of records by him, and never, never, has one of them not proven to be "right" in the end. The guy can make you ponder for a good long while sometimes, but I've not once eventually failed to be convinced. And sometimes, often, really, it's just obvious that he's right.

I'll be getting this reissue in due time, since I'm sure it be be a better, cleaner, listening than my vinyl. But still very very looking forward to the Joe Daley material.

Thanks Jonathan for putting this out.  I will try to pick up the CD soon.  I have the LP, of course.

Comments above are pretty much spot-on.  This isn't Ran's best album, but it is indeed one of his most interesting and is worth a listen (if you want Ran's truest work of genius, IMO that's All That Is Tied).  I hope people buy it.  

• 2 weeks later...
post-282-0-46485500-1301550054_thumb.jpg

That would be nice to have on CD.

There's also some earlier Bill Barron material that Savoy dropped the ball on that I'd love to see reissued officially with good sound: The second half of Modern Windows and Hot Line. Preferrably combined on a single CD.

Cause when Savoy put out a CD release called "Modern Windows Suite", they only included the actual suite, not the rest of the album (the remainder of the CD consisted of the earlier The Tenor Stylings of Bill Barron album). Would be really nice to have a companion release with the rest of his '60s Savoy sessions.

• 1 month later...
On 10/16/2015, 4:42:21, jonathanhorwich said:

Thanks for this steer.  I just ordered a copy of Modern Windows Suite and then will go from there on the missing parts.  Love when you guys give me tips.  Your knowledge of this area is vast and mine is narrow.

yes please - more Bill!!

Fresh Sound have done a double Savoy (early 60's material) that includes all of "Modern Windows Suite" but omits "Motivation" (1972 recording)

On October 15, 2015 at 1:50:29 AM, Kyo said:

There's also some earlier Bill Barron material that Savoy dropped the ball on ... [c]ause when Savoy put out a CD release called "Modern Windows Suite," they only included the actual suite, not the rest of the album (the remainder of the CD consisted of the earlier The Tenor Stylings of Bill Barron album).

We can thank Orrin Keepnews for that, as he was the reissue producer for that disc. He did include the rare bonus track "Desolation" (from Tenor Stylings) at the disc's end, however. (The Japanese market didn't include that track when they reissued the album on disc as COCB 50612.)

Here's what's missing from the U.S. edition:

Track 5: Noodlin'
Track 6: Duality
Track 7: Self Portrait
Track 8: Persian Street Scene

Tracks 1-4 are the suite, listed on the back of the LP as "A Jazz Suite From The New Soul." Barron also made a point of calling each composition a "Reflection." Each side of the LP, as a result, has four "Reflections."

I actually find tracks 7 and 8 to be the best tracks of the album. The suite contains excellent soloing by Barron, but the ensemble parts needed additional rehearsal.  Ted Curson and Jay Cameron do their best, but the end result is not exactly sloppy, but, well, under-rehearsed.

Motivation of course is an entirely different record. Everyone at Organissimo (and beyond) who likes Barron should hear it. Recorded circa 1972 (the exact date is apparently unknown), it features all original compositions by Barron (one by Kenny), and extremely focused soloing. Here are the details:

Date: ca. 1972
Label: Savoy

Bill Barron (ts), Kenny Barron (p), Chris White (b), Al Hicks (d)

1. Motivation (Bill Barron) 10:22
2. Land of Sunshine (Bill Barron) 3:26
3. Blues for R. A. (Bill Barron) 6:15
4. Cosmos (Kenny Barron) 9:47
5. Hold Back Tomorrow (Bill Barron) 5:12
6. Mental Vibrations (Bill Barron) 4:01

All titles on: Savoy LP 12": 12303 — Motivation

This is truly an undiscovered gem. It has not seen compact disc issue anywhere — not even on the grey market or the nachosphere — so Jonathan could be the first to put it out. Saxophonists would be all over it. And anybody who, say, is into Joe Henderson's Tetragon would probably like it very much.

The darn album isn't even on YouTube ...

Edited by Late
to perpetuate the general tendency toward infractions of one kind or another.

6 hours ago, felser said:

This may dampen some of the market for the  earlier Barron material:

Bill Barron Quintet & Sextet (3 LPs on 2 CDs)

Right, but the Andorrans haven't gotten to Motivation. Neither have the Japanese. Neither have the sharity sites. And neither has YouTube. That's why, in my opinion, it's a prime opportunity for International Phonograph. It helps that the music's good too! ^_^

Edited by Late
because I thought of more to say.

The music's more than good, it's arresting!

Seriously.

Rights might be mysterious...or very direct...I think that by this time, any jazz release on Savoy would have been essentially a vanity project. The Barron estate might hold them in full? Publisher is listed as "Savoy Music", though.

I want to thank you all for this info on Bill Barron.  I did not want you all to think I'm not reading your suggestions and more importantly, taking them to heart.   I admit to not following all of it and what is missing and what isn't so I ordered the Barron CDs available not found in my collection and I'll figure it out.  But I do get Motivation is not on CD in any form partial or full (right?).  But strangely I know I ordered and received that LP last year when one of you gave me the heads up to get it.  I just moved my studio and as always, something goes missing, and in this case it may be the Barron.  I'm going to look again as my LPs are not well organized yet but just safely on shelves.  I'll find it.  It's a bitch to buy.  So bear with me on all of this.  Motivation would be a good reissue.  

The Daley is going to be a huge undertaking which I will do this year.  And how I'll get Sony to let me put out more material than existed on the original LP (one of the worst arbitrary rules I run into with them) I don't know yet but I will.  And then financing three gorgeous CDs probably in a killer box.  I want to do the Daley right and I want to revisit the music to confirm the real live stuff was killer.

Thanks to all of you again.  Your suggestions are invaluable.  I never heard of The Giant Awakens until you guys told me and now it is one of my all time favorites.  I think I saw a copy going for $256.00 on Amazon!!  Yikes.

Edited by jonathanhorwich
typos galore