What to Reissue Number Two

jonathanhorwich

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A reissue that i could get really, really excited about would be the Henry Threadgill album Subject To Change. As far as i know it's never been released on CD. This would be a reissue to die for IMO.

According to AMG it was released on CD in the early 2000s but I must say I've never come across a copy. In fact all his albums on About Time Records would make a terrific boxset.

A reissue that i could get really, really excited about would be the Henry Threadgill album Subject To Change. As far as i know it's never been released on CD. This would be a reissue to die for IMO.

According to AMG it was released on CD in the early 2000s but I must say I've never come across a copy. In fact all his albums on About Time Records would make a terrific boxset.

I emailed About Time a few years ago & they claimed that they would eventually release all of their sessions on CD

They even mention that on their website

http://www.about-time-records.com/catalog.html

Despite what it says on AMG i'm pretty confident that Subject To change has never been released on CD, there certainly doesn't seem to be any trace of it anywhere (aside from the note on AMG and a link to a CD format version on the LP page of Amazon that takes you to a pop-punk compilation of the same name). I'm sure i've read that STC has never been on CD, unlike the first two Threadgill ATRs, although i can't site a source. The ATR website has been like that for many years, i guess there's still hope. It would be great if ATR would do it but a JLH reissue is a mouthwatering plan B.

Would be interested to hear whether JLH has any interest in this, what the logistical problems would be etc. It's seems like a no brainer in terms of a reissue that would generate interest. Threadgill's profile is fairly high but he's not that prolific which makes (speaking for myself but i'm sure it's the same for many fans) demand for something new or reissued quite high. Threadgill doesn't have a huge discography as a leader, relatively speaking, and for many fans like myself STC is the only album of his under his own name that we don't have (aside from the ultra rare Live at Koncepts and that vinyl only Zooid release from the mid 2000s).

I'm totally in on this one. Been waiting years for it.

I'll stay behind this one record as my personal vote for a JLH reissue so to not overload the thread.

I'm with you on this one. I wish more people (anybody?) had heard & lived with Iapetus for a while, but Motivation is, like Iapetus, a wholly uniqhue record that has been virtually unheard. Edited by blind-blake

I don't know if the tapes for these sessions even exist.With Jef Gilson's death,who knows where or if they are.I'm talking about the recordings on the Palm label in the mid 70's by Byard Lancaster"-Us-with Steve McCall and Sylvain Marc;Khan Jamal"-Give The Vibes Some"(solo and duets);Bakaida Carroll-"Orange Fish Tears"(with Oliver Lake).There are a couple more.

I had these on lp and have been waiting patiently for a cd reissue,alas, in vain(so far).

Oh, wasn't aware of that ... guess that's one of the shady techniques to obstruct proper reissues, too ... I'm not sure it's a classic by anyone's standards anyway (I know it's on that hippo free jazz rarities list, of course, but ...), but I like it a lot.

There's also be the Black Unity Trio, "Al Fatihah" - but the same disclaimers apply there even more, I guess.

Oh, wasn't aware of that ... guess that's one of the shady techniques to obstruct proper reissues, too ... I'm not sure it's a classic by anyone's standards anyway (I know it's on that hippo free jazz rarities list, of course, but ...), but I like it a lot.

There's also be the Black Unity Trio, "Al Fatihah" - but the same disclaimers apply there even more, I guess.

The German label that nicely reissued "Alabama feeling" by arthur Doyle on lp a few years back had planned on reissuing the Black Unity lp but nothing ever materialized apparently due to objections from Abdul Wadud?

I've posted this before, but here it goes again:

Al Francis: Jazz Bohemia Revisited (Lost Cosmic Unity) is a wonderful album, totally obscure, never been reissued. It's as worthy of being reissued as any record I know. I have an LP copy, but I'd buy a CD reissue.

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but Henry Threadgill's Too Much Sugar for a Dime (Axiom) is another record that deserves a reissue.

The German label that nicely reissued "Alabama feeling" by arthur Doyle on lp a few years back had planned on reissuing the Black Unity lp but nothing ever materialized apparently due to objections from Abdul Wadud?

I'm aware of their (past?) intentions yes, not sure how far they got and if there was an ultimate "no" though.

Too Much Sugar is a smart choice as it's very highly regarded. I guess it would be up to JLH to decide whether it fits their MO. My only problem is that i already have it in my CD collection and yet i have no way whatsoever of hearing Subject To Change unless i buy a turntable and order the LP. I'm thinking my only hope is that JLH gets blown away by it when he hears it. As i've never heard it myself i don't know whether it will or won't; i base my enthusiasm for it purely on the pedigree of the other ATRs and that it's become a bit of a holy grail for myself as the years have gone by.

Edit: Having said all that if it's not to be it's not to be. Again, i'm pushing for an album that i've never heard. Back to waiting for ATR to issue it on CD.

Edited by xybert

I'm aware of their (past?) intentions yes, not sure how far they got and if there was an ultimate "no" though.

I thought the objections were from Joe Phillips/Yusef Mumin, but yeah, Rank were stopped in their tracks. It is an excellent record, really something.

The Colbeck has been deserving of reissue for years - another fine, fine session. Again, I believe there was a push to get it reissued on the part of a small "audiophile" label a few years ago but that never came to pass. Shame.

Thanks for that, didn't know about the Colbeck - really too bad!

As for the Threadgill ... not so sure it's such a great idea, I only got a copy of that disc last year (or the year before that) and it didn't seem too elusive. It's a fine album though, that's for sure!