What to Reissue Number Two

jonathanhorwich

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Thanks for asking. Well "Flight for Four" is out and has been for months. I just issued Jeremy Steig, "Flute Fever." And next is Horace Tapscott, "The Giant Awakens." I love the music. And then maybe "Self Determination Music" by Carter Bradford. Then Daley I guess. I may put out our Warne Marsh stuff from Revelation, that is the two killer performances at the Half Note we issued on vinyl. But not sure. Then I'm out and perhaps done with CD reissues as nothing else I can find to put out that isn't already out that is the stature of these releases.

Edited by JLH

Yes, I loved "Flight for Four", "Flute Fever" ..... and all your earlier re-issues. The care you take on the look and sound of all your re-issues is second to none in my opinion.

All the others you mention look like winners too. Any idea when they might be hitting the shops?

I can't wait for The Giant Awakens. That is one of my all-time favorite records. Self-Determination Music is also excellent.

Jonathan — would you ever consider for reissue any other titles from the Revelation catalog? Gary Thomas, or the Jerry Coker "Re-Emergence" record?

post-282-0-46892400-1391800254_thumb.jpg

post-282-0-50880300-1391800509_thumb.jpg

I've gladly purchased everything you've reissued so far. A complete reissue of the Half Note material would be amazing, and as suggested above, reissues of some of the other Revelation titles (Symposium On Relaxed Improvisation, any Clare Fischer) would be a sure thing for me.

I may put out our Warne Marsh stuff from Revelation, that is the two killer performances at the Half Note we issued on vinyl. But not sure.

Would that be the edited versions sans Konitz or the unedited as released ( at least partially ) by Verve on CD in the 90s? Or better still the whole shebang ? I'm hoping the latter.

Thanks to you all for your interest. Firstly schedule: The Giant Awakens by Tapscott would be late Spring early Summer. Self Determinism if I do it right away late this year. Joe Daley? Wow. Not sure. But I imagine 2015. Yes, the Marsh would be just what Revelation put out as we owned the rights to those edited tapes. It would be a reissue of the Revelation stuff. I guess i could check and see if the company that owns the rights now to the full tapes would like me to reissue all of it. I'll probably check. But there is something I like about those Revelation issues which focus on Marsh and stick it in our faces what a genius he was. Unbelievable player. A true true original genius. He drives me crazy when I hear him on it.

I may reissue a few Revelation recordings but not sure. I do put out some of the Revelation material on my tape copies issue program. I make master tape copies and send them to audiophiles/music lovers with tape decks. the sound is pretty serious and they love it and I love doing it on the side. Anyway I'll review those Revelation performances and see what is what.

Again, thanks so much guys. You are the most knowledgable jazz people on the planet and its so valuable to get your immediate input.

I would like to see a complete reissue of Norman Granz Collates 10"s and other early stuff on Mercury, Clef & Norgran. The current David Stone Martin SHM's are a welcome step in the right direction, but this is a limited number of reissues. Also a reissue of The Astaire Story in the four album format and box set with the facsimile of orginal book with the David Stone Martin art work.

Vols. 1 & 2 of The Art Of Improvising would be one of the more significant reissues ever.

And if you could get all full tracks in a big box or something instead of just the 12 that Verve put out, there's a Nobel Prize in it for you, in the field of Quantum Jazz Improvisation.

But first things first - the Joe Daley collection must see the light of day!

• 1 year later...

No progress on that. It won't be this year due to personal reasons which have me a bit off track for the past year. And working with the record company has become even rougher than it was. So Daley will not be soon. And how to do it through the company that owns the rights I don't know. You're only allowed to put out the exact original and in this case the original was faked and the real live stuff never came out. And there are 3 CDs worth as you know making it a challenge to get permission and pay for, etc. I'll confront it sometime in the near future but not until I've got things under control on another (personal) front. I'm not giving up hope as love the music so I'm sure I'll work it out.

The Carter Bradford Self Determinism Music was supposed to be my next release but ACE did put it out. Curious what others think of it. It is now out.