What to Reissue Number Two

jonathanhorwich

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dunno about legitimately - Free Factory reissued it but I'm not sure if it's a boot or whether the tapes were leased. I know Dixon did not see royalties from it and the original contract stated that he and Shepp owned the masters and just leased them to Savoy for a dollar a year – something like that. Beautiful record.

Keep your ear to the ground for more archival Dixon music to make an appearance on Triple Point in the coming year or two.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear All: Firstly I will be putting out the Daley material in the future. But for the here and now I will be putting out some Ran Blake (Film Noir and Rapport) and then I need your opinions on this: Sound by Roscoe Mitchell has never come out on CD in it's original vinyl form. The CD that did come out from Delmark has the original recording session performance unedited. This is fine but is not the original vinyl issue. I had the thought of putting it out on CD with my usual packaging as it originally came out on vinyl as an historic issue which would allow the listener to have on CD exactly what was on the vinyl. The question is would anybody think that was good and be interested. It is a very important recording and what made it so was the edited music on the vinyl release which I would duplicate. It is easy to do so as Delmark is here in Chicago.

Would love to hear what members here think. Thank you as usual.

Jon, I'm so glad you are bringing out the Ran Blakes again. But the Delmark "Sound" CD, including original cover and liners plus terrific alternate takes and the original full-length performance also titled "Sound," this time with the drum solo restored, is still widely available - it's already a great reissue.

I'd personally buy Sound as an International Phonograph reissue, but I don't think, overall, it would sell that well considering the already available reissue.

Jonathan — do you like Sam Rivers? There's a fair amount of his work that has never made it onto compact disc.

R-390926-1125144081.jpg.jpgR-390928-1125144570.jpg.jpg

R-801978-1232126248.jpeg.jpgR-801978-1232126264.jpeg.jpg

I'd certainly be very interested in having the Ran Blake's...I missed them when they came out on vinyl and they've been out of print for a long time so I would imagine they would sell pretty well.

Not sure about the Roscoe Mitchell. I would buy it because it's an International Phonograph reissue but the Delmark CD is still widely available so I wonder if there would there be much of a market for another reissue...I doubt it, myself.

Jon, I'm so glad you are bringing out the Ran Blakes again. But the Delmark "Sound" CD, including original cover and liners plus terrific alternate takes and the original full-length performance also titled "Sound," this time with the drum solo restored, is still widely available - it's already a great reissue.

I agree.

Thank you all for your excellent comments. So helpful. Oh boy. I may just drop it on Sound. I don't want to go nuts over a giant fizzle. Maybe someday. I love Sam Rivers. Well his playing on Tony Williams's Love Song from Spring is as good as modern sax gets. I adore his playing. So a list of possibles would be great. Allen, you mentioned "I'd prefer Fuchsia Swing Song" Isn't that one out on CD? I thought so. Another avenue is I had a good communication with Sam's people during the Mosaic work on that and there are tapes in his family's possession. I may check those out. He was a monster player. So I'll cool off on Sound for a while and get on with Ran Blake which should be nice reissues. And meantime research Sam Rivers, with your help so fire away anymore.